Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    She's shitty for the sport and a poor role model for anyone.
    You may be a little harsh here, considering Osaka "loves" her. You can like a lot about Serena, and still think she's a sore loser. I like Keith Richards but I ain't gonna do heroin.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

i don't get the serena hate. there is no doubt that the williams experienced difficulties in tennis because of their race or social standing. It has to affect you.

second, serena and venus have always approached tennis differently then their counter parts. I remember when they first broke into tennis and what a shit show their father was and the sisters were judged by his antics

on the warning vs required ramped up penalty: the chair ump has the discretion to not call the 3rd penalty

i believe the tennis bodies will advise umps to corral the nuclear option for more egregious behavior

this was prima donna'ish behavior, but not worthy of a game penalty when the championship point was potentially two games away

i wonder, if the ump had stated to Serena what the next penalty would be for continued ranting at him, whether that would have quelled some of the bitching

as it was, he seems to have all the video evidence he needs to make his case for having made the correct calls
    so, the gender issue seems less pointed here (tho it is a looming spectre in this episode)

She's shitty for the sport and a poor role model for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You may be a little harsh here, considering Osaka "loves" her. You can like a lot about Serena, and still think she's a sore loser. I like Keith Richards but I ain't gonna do heroin.
    Yeah, absolutely. Good call. She has in the past been an amazing role model for women and people of colour and the sport. I'm just mad at her right now.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

she did try to make things better during the booing after the match

I just spent too long looking for McEnroe's commentary, but he said that in a match he had with Nastase, the Ump said to Ilie something like: "Please don't do this. If you keep going I will have to give you a penalty." If the ref in Serena's case said something more specific like this, and added, "it would be your 3rd penalty, and I will have to dock you a game." maybe things would've been different.

Lots of poor behavior to go around which is really, really sad for Osaka's moment.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

i'm not defending or not defending serena in this case. my point was only that some folks' demonstrated biases involving women and black people leave them lacking in credibility to judge them, much less serena.

she and venus have undoubtedly put up with way more bullshit in tennis than the average player, male or female. i'm not saying that's the case here, but to say she is bad for the sport is going way too far.

I don’t get how you can generalize with shit like this? To be sexist you have to have a pattern of sexist behavior. Does the judge in question have it, or not?

Painting a broad brush over this guy, and accusing the entire sport, is sort of bullshit and unfair to the guy. He could have a good record of being strict with both males and females but it would not matter according to some.

What I’ve heard, he’s tough on everyone.

From the above article:

In 2009, during a semifinal match against Kim Clijsters, when Williams was down 5-6 in the second set after having lost the first, Williams was called for an imaginary foot fault (it was undetectable from any replay angle, and yet she was penalized anyhow).

I will add here that "imaginary" and "undetectable from any replay angle" could be challenged as they are opinion and not fact

“I swear to God I’m f—ing going to take this f—ing ball and shove it down your f—ing throat, you hear that? I swear to God!” Williams shouted at the lineswoman.

Mac, Nastase, and Connors said some shit to umpires in the past but Serena's above outburst rates highly among the gods of umpire berating. Also, I do remember the good old boys being penalized points for repeated code violations. This "why me, it only happens to me" bullshit from Serena is just that - bullshit.

I don't buy any arguments suggesting this umpire (in the Open final) did anything untoward. If there's been racism and sexism in the past to Serena, that has nothing to do with the case in point here. She fucked up and was penalized. Serena should publicly apologize for poor sportsmanship to both the umpire and Osaka.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I think she is a poor sport, but that caricature does no favors for anyone who claims there aren't racial prejudices against the woman. Osaka is a blond haired white chick now?

missed this. big bummer. he seems like a good guy and still young.

https://deadspin.com/andy-murray-wil...nic-1831657906

Yah, they were runnin it on tennis channel last night. Hated seeing Kolschriver lose. super classy guy. Said it was over 100 on the court yesterday/sydney. Balmy 36 degrees here...
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    missed this. big bummer. he seems like a good guy and still young
    https://deadspin.com/andy-murray-wil...nic-1831657906
    Well to be honest, I think he's a whiney bitch. Having said that I did admire his work ethic on and off the court, he wasn't the most talented player out there but he was gutsy (yes, you can be a gutsy whiney bitch). I also wouldn't wish chronic pain on anyone.

Go Shapo, go Milos, go Genie, go Andreescu!

Andy Murray: Women praise tennis star for role in fighting sexism

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46836509

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    Andy Murray: Women praise tennis star for role in fighting sexism

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46836509
    OK my friend, so he's a sensitive new age, gutsy, whiny, bitch.

I may not always be right about someone or something, but, I will always be.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    OK my friend, so he's a sensitive new age, gutsy, whiny, bitch.

I may not always be right about someone or something, but, I will always be.
    love ya, gt! i wasn't debating your opinion of him, only giving a brief example of why he seems like a good guy to me. i don't watch enough tennis to have an opinion about whether he's whiny or not. i agree he's gutsy. i've seen that much. mostly sad to see his body fail him so young.

Ms MT watches tennis channel relegiously. for many years. I don't. I have pointed out to her many times that when Murray was first gaining notariety he was "this angry little troll" (Her words). Suddenly when he made the run at winbleton he was "beloved."

having to walk away from something that's defined you, that you could do on a world class basis, for 30 years, because of something beyond your control. I cannot imagine.
    "Can't you see..."

Osaka withdraws from French Open after being fined for not doing press interviews and threatened by the Tennis assn?
    She had cited anxiety issues all along.
    What a bunch of assholes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Osaka withdraws from French Open after being fined for not doing press interviews and threatened by the Tennis assn?
    She had cited anxiety issues all along.
    What a bunch of assholes.
    She apparently got alot of strongly worded letters from the other majors as well

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    She apparently got alot of strongly worded letters from the other majors as well
    That's what I meant by 'tennis assn'. Evidently all the Gland Slam tourneys threatened her.

What utter bullshit.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Sounds like the ASSociation folks have been lucky enough to avoid dealing with mental illness in a close family member. The hatred I have seen on other sites discussing Osaka is extremely disheartening. What is wrong with people?

Bonus points for errecting Nadal Statue before tourney.
    "Can't you see..."

Nadal and Djok in a semi final thriller. Not many of these left.

They have to kick the fans out after the 3rd set for local curfew. There will be a revolution. Hope they show the stands to see how it goes.