Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2018

Garden 2018

Zone 9 checking in with first harvest, peppers, basil, & green beans. Cantaloupes, San Marzano tomatoes, strawberries & eggplants are all flowering, among other things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1404.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	653.1 KB 
ID:	237069

Zone 6 here. Main garden is mostly planted; fruit trees are all set, berries flowering. Cold frame worked great; spinach, peas, and a few herbs grew all winter.

Name:	IMG_9346.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	237077

We put a raised bed in the greenhouse, mainly for peppers, since it gets so damn hot. Poblano, Anaheim, ghost, Serrano, habanero, jalapeño, and bells.

Name:	IMG_9345.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	237078

Love the greenery here in the desert!

That's a nice set up!

I'm just growing out of pots so I can drag them in to shelter in case a cat 3 hurricane comes by.

Cantaloupe's

Name:	IMG_1406.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	237081

Eggplant's

Name:	IMG_1407.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	237082

Wow; is that enough space for roots? Seems tight.

Garden 2018

That's just two plants, first time growing them from seeds and this is just 8 weeks old. I'll separate them & transplant to individual 25 gal pots in the next few days to give them more room to spread out.

Makes sense.

Last year I found a solution to bird problems that doesn’t involve pain-in-the-ass netting. 1/16 stainless cable w/reflectors every few feet. Since putting this up, I’ve had almost no birds. Magic.

Name:	IMG_9349.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	356.8 KB 
ID:	237105

The guy around the corner that I have dubbed the Heavy Metal Gardner has been seen out of doors. He had some young buck prepping his spot the other week. Hats off to the HMG.

Just planted 30 fucking plants from our water company's xeriscaping program.

Fuck removing turf and planting in compacted soil is a bitch. Worried I hurt too much to go for a ride tomorrow.

The other 60 plants are just staring at me asking WTF is up. That'll have to wait a day or two.

link to program?

I put in a fully organic garden this year, all in planter boxes so they can be brought in when the weather hits the fan which seems to happen all too frequently around here. Grew most of it from seed and for the most part it's doing pretty well. I lost the first early crop of strawberries to the birds because nothing else in the area was blooming yet. Looking forward to 2 kinds of strawberries, 2 kinds of tomotoes, string beans, 3 kinds of lettuce, carrots, spinach, 4 kinds of sweet peppers, Hungarian yellow (hot) peppers and a bunch of different herbs. Looks like my basil isn't going to make it though I'm trying to come up with some ideas for things that can be planted late and harvested late, ideas welcome.

I have a tousled garden.

The sapling corner: sitka spruce and some noble fir with an apple tree starting.

Strawbs:

The west garden with peas starting in the foreground and 6 tomato plants in the background.

The south garden with chives, onions, garlic and another row of peas coming up:

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    link to program?
    https://resourcecentral.org/gardens/

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I put in a fully organic garden this year, all in planter boxes so they can be brought in when the weather hits the fan which seems to happen all too frequently around here. Grew most of it from seed and for the most part it's doing pretty well. I lost the first early crop of strawberries to the birds because nothing else in the area was blooming yet. Looking forward to 2 kinds of strawberries, 2 kinds of tomotoes, string beans, 3 kinds of lettuce, carrots, spinach, 4 kinds of sweet peppers, Hungarian yellow (hot) peppers and a bunch of different herbs. Looks like my basil isn't going to make it though I'm trying to come up with some ideas for things that can be planted late and harvested late, ideas welcome.
    Beets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radish, potatoes, lettuce, carrots.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Thanks Dobe.

So I need potting soil type mulch and I have English peas that just grow like a weed. The flowers are pretty so I just let them go but the peas are a lot of work.
    If I was to chop these up (green, before peas/seed grow) would I have some nice organic matter to make compost, or would they just regrow under my new plants? I suppose I could dry them, but would be nice to have wet in the mix vs dry. edit nevermind, too big of a risk with the new plants, maybe if I leave them in compost for a year.
    Last edited by Rideski; 05-27-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Garden 2018

Asparagus , currant, rhubarb , Concord grape , elderberry , Nanking cherry , blueberries and gooseberry for perennials.

Taters, cucs, watermelon, bush beans , sunflower and squash for annuals.

Quote Originally Posted by TaosNH View Post
    Beets?
    Nope not really a fan. I'm going to build some real boxes this summer if this experiment is successful and really get after it next year.

Haven't attempted vegtable gardening in years but we decided to give it a shot this spring. Went vertical with this rig to try to confound the critters.

Multiple lettuce varieties, broccoli, jalepno, basil, spinach and some tomatoes.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	821.7 KB 
ID:	237382
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Garden 2018

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Nope not really a fan. I'm going to build some real boxes this summer if this experiment is successful and really get after it next year.
    You can start strawberries just pinch the flowers off so the roots can get established, put them in pots this season just to get started then you can transplant later.

If you are in a warm climate cut the top off a pineapple about 5" below the cap and put that in a pot. After a year you will get a fresh pineapple every two years.

Also get some garlic bulbs, those can get planted in the fall for spring harvest.

Strawberries grow like weeds; this is just one of three patches we have. We thin them for bigger berries; it’s a lot of work.

Name:	IMG_9356.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	238.2 KB 
ID:	237393

Put the last seeds in yesterday; now it’s just maintenance and waiting.

Name:	IMG_9357.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	237394

Name:	IMG_9358.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	237395

Plums, apples, peaches, cherries, peas, eggplant, beans, several potato strains, multiple onion varieties, shallots, garlic, loads of tomatoes, beets, carrots, cukes, pumpkins, several zucchinis, asparagus, raspberries, hops, corn, cabbage, cauliflower, a shit-ton of herbs, a mess of pepper types, and a few things I can’t pronounce.

We bought this place from a botanist; awesome garden already in place.

Next step is growing some Bolivian Rainbow Chilis from seed; maybe a lemon tree too, if I can find a hearty one, and keep it in the greenhouse.

I used to hate gardening, but this place makes it easy.

^^That is SICK. Makes me despise city living.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Flyoverland that's a killer setup. I don't think I could have the patience to spend that much time to get it right. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    You can start strawberries just pinch the flowers off so the roots can get established, put them in pots this season just to get started then you can transplant later.

If you are in a warm climate cut the top off a pineapple about 5" below the cap and put that in a pot. After a year you will get a fresh pineapple every two years.

Also get some garlic bulbs, those can get planted in the fall for spring harvest.
    I have a couple of different kinds of strawberries going now. Two of them I got from a nursery and they're doing really well and the third I started from seed and just moved them into a big pot today.

No not warm, NY suburbs, so most tropical type fruits are a no go. If I get some apple, pear, etc. fruit tree clippings how long should it be before I get fruit to harvest?

Garlic is in the plan for sure. This area is a huge garlic producer so I figure I should be able to do alright with it.

Name:	KIMG1393.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	237417

Name:	KIMG1394.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	237418

Name:	KIMG1396.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	237419

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Haven't attempted vegtable gardening in years but we decided to give it a shot this spring. Went vertical with this rig to try to confound the critters.
    ]
    You could add the horizontal support rails on each step front and back. My critters would knock those on the ground in 0.00897 seconds if it was anything they were attracted to.

So what is the consensus on organic pest mitigation? Think aphids but could be other stuff. Who makes the holes in the leaves?

^^^ Get praying mantis pods. We bought a few two years ago, and they have established themselves all over our property. They kill every bug in sight. Get some ladybugs too.