Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Free Style Mowing

I live on just under an acre. Use to be a cow/horse pasture and has very little landscaping to speak of.

To me lawn mowing is a necessary evil, I don't irrigate and except for during the spring don't need to mow regularly. By mid/late June I stop and let it go wild.

Neighbor is a nice guy and a good neighbor (thank Dog). He loves to mow his yard and being an Engineer he is a bit regimented and follows a pattern.

Me, I just start a at one point and mow in really big ovals and circles until I get sick of the view and them mow in different circles and ovals.

He usually makes comments about my lack of patterns and I tell him it is like free skiing except that it is Free Mowing.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

That sounds awful. Stripe it up! Mowing can be a pain in the ass, but since you have to do it anyways, make it look good. It’s nice to sit and have a beer after mowing and look at and smell the fresh cut lawn

My old place. Love the reel mowers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	937.5 KB 
ID:	236922

I just go in a pattern in the shapes of the alphabet. Oh wait, what are we talking about here...?
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Astro-turf then drop to one knee, problem solved.

I cut it fast as I can altho sometimes i cut at 90 degrees to the usual pattern when it aint cutting so well
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

With the disparity between the weeds and grasses this hot ‘spring’ I’ve been sculpting with a ‘wacker. Can’t wait for the soil moisture to drop a few cm and kill/stunt everything evenly.

I give one of my teenagers $20 to do it then gripe about every missed blade of grass. I still do it occasionally, but why when I have child labor to abuse?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

next time you go to cut your grass, try this tip to be sure to impress your neighbor.....

pour gasoline over the entirety of your lawn, make sure to move fast so that gas doesn't evaporate. Then once off the lawn, light a match and drop it on the lawn. Viola! Lawns cut in seconds and typically you won't have to cut again that year!

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    That sounds awful. Stripe it up! Mowing can be a pain in the ass, but since you have to do it anyways, make it look good. It’s nice to sit and have a beer after mowing and look at and smell the fresh cut lawn

My old place. Love the reel mowers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	937.5 KB 
ID:	236922
    That is beautiful.

I worked on a couple of Golf Courses in my misspent youth and such things were required.

I have now descended into rebellion and don't give a fuck-itis. I did mow out 3 landings areas about 20 sq ft each and have my one par 3, 3 hole course, I could possibly squeeze in 1 more hole.,
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Huh - I was never a fan of the stripes. Then again I never cared what my mowed lawn looked like.

Lawns ...... why??

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    I just go in a pattern in the shapes of the alphabet. Oh wait, what are we talking about here...?
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Lawns ...... why??
    This ^^^^^^^^
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    I live on just under an acre. Use to be a cow/horse pasture and has very little landscaping to speak of.

To me lawn mowing is a necessary evil, I don't irrigate and except for during the spring don't need to mow regularly. By mid/late June I stop and let it go wild.

Neighbor is a nice guy and a good neighbor (thank Dog). He loves to mow his yard and being an Engineer he is a bit regimented and follows a pattern.

Me, I just start a at one point and mow in really big ovals and circles until I get sick of the view and them mow in different circles and ovals.

He usually makes comments about my lack of patterns and I tell him it is like free skiing except that it is Free Mowing.
    I will let you mow any which way you want if you'll please just come mow. Ugh... so tired of mowing. Been a very wet spring for us.

Speaking of mowing, the re-surging popularity of pubic hair is disturbing. Shit that annoys me thread

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Speaking of mowing, the re-surging popularity of pubic hair is disturbing. Shit that annoys me thread
    This ad kills me:

I have irregular shaped areas so I work to square it off and then finish in straight lines. I am fairly ADD, so it's different every time.

I used to mow patterns and words into the lawn. Peace signs, 'fuck you', the usual.

I commend the free mowers out there.

Should we set up blog and have community help retreats ?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I think we should start a gang so we can get jackets w/ patches. Or maybe SPF50 hoodies and screen print. Now just need an artiste for the logo.

In high school I was tasked with bush hog mowing a neighborhoods field to keep it from going to woodland and weeds. Seeing how big the task was and looking to be efficient I choose to mow two large circles and then finish off the corners. When the job was done my dad commented that it looked like a fine set of boobs.

As a former master of the landscape arts, lay down some stripes. Alternate directions weekly.

If you are going to do the job, do it right, like your old man would say.
    Live Free or Die

Free Style Mowing

^^^^This

Once upon a time I would mow on the diagonal with 90 degree angles. Then my buzz wore off.

My yard is so irregular and the hill is so steep that I just kind of wing it most of the time. There are a few spots that can only be done one way but going around trees and rocks it ends up looking different every time I do it. I hate doing it too because I don't think that a lawn is a good thing so if it ends up sloppy and bugs the neighbors I've succeeded.

I used to cut the greens on a golf course, 7 days a week all spring, Summer, And Fall, I can't help but cut straight lines and change the angle every cut. It looks nice that way. Cutting straight lines is like rowing, pick a spot in the distance and cut to it, Don't look down at the mower.