Storage Wax VS Stone Grind

Few quick question:

Is there any point of waxing my skis for summer storage if I'm planning to stone grind early this Fall (can't stone grind now for various issues).

Basically, what I'm wondering is: will a thick layer of wax on the skis laying there for all summer will penetrate the ski base deep enough to provide benefits, even if I'm grinding the skis in the fall ? Or, is the point of waxing for summer storage is just to prevent the base surface's from drying up ?

Lastly, do you fix the serious gouge in ski base with the p-tex gun (or iron) before or after stone grinding ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bragelonne; 05-24-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    Lee Lau - "Bragelonne is a vanlife whiny dirtbag"

I would repair the base before a stone grind and the base should come out looking like new

do you get em done in whistler or Vangroovy?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Whistler, but my go-to techs for this type of jobs (Profile Ski) is closed for anything ski-related until early October; same with creek side's Coastal Culture.
    Everyone is logically (and legitimately) in Bike mode !
    If there' s value in stone-grinding now and than waxing for summer's storage, I may just make the drive to Vancouver. Any trust-worthy shop in Van you would recommend ?
    Lee Lau - "Bragelonne is a vanlife whiny dirtbag"

http://www.vanski.ca/services/

maybe this one^^ I have heard good things but I honestly don't know cuz I have been up country for > 20 yrs

For the Olympics there was a shop with a nice Montana Saphir machine at creek side but I think they are gone
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

PTEX occurs before stone grinding. The stone cleans up the mess and gets everything flat.

In general, I would say that summer wax is cheap, easy, and can't hurt anything. But in this case no reason to put on a heavy wax layer if you're planning to PTEX, it'll just make it harder to get good adherence.

Yup, either:

Ptex --> rough scrape --> wax (over the Summer) --> stone grind (in the Fall)

Or

Ptex --> stone grind --> wax

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^^^ I'd go with the latter there.. Repairs, grind, storage wax.. Yes, wax keeps the bases from drying out and keeps the edgtes from rusting. Heck, I use universal wax as storage wax on all my skis then scrape it off when I'm ready to ski that pair. If I'm looking at really warm or really cold temps for the ski day I just scrape then add a layer of more temp appropriate wax. Usually OK with the U wax though..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Bought that wintersteiger shop waxer from another mag...17 pair storage waxed in 40 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Bought that wintersteiger shop waxer from another mag...17 pair storage waxed in 40 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Really need to get one of these for the 15 pair sitting dry in my barn right now! Basically a heated tub for wax with roller thay picks it up and rolls across skis?

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Really need to get one of these for the 15 pair sitting dry in my barn right now! Basically a heated tub for wax with roller thay picks it up and rolls across skis?
    Think topical/superficial: It puts wax ON the bases, not IN the bases. But if you store them bases up in a hot garage or other space it could act like a hot box over time.

Generally, when I apply the likely first wax I'd ski of the season as a storage wax, it's basically scrape, roto brush and go in minutes, with excellent glide.

@Bragelonne, definitely repair first and as stated, IMO, waxing won't hurt and might help, especially if the grind isn't as deep as current structure.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    ... Generally, when I apply the likely first wax I'd ski of the season as a storage wax, it's basically scrape, roto brush and go in minutes, with excellent glide.
    This makes sense. I never understood the concept of using storage wax when you could apply wax you'd actually want to ski on.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Think topical/superficial: It puts wax ON the bases, not IN the bases.
    Follow the surficial app machine wax with a few passes of the iron...done.
    Master of mediocrity.

You can wax faster than you can write and read this thread for pennies and if you do wind up waxing before repair, it's easy enough to get the wax off of the area of repair. It's more important to stick with a tech you trust than to drive all the way to Vancouver just for a base grind, assuming you can find someone still doing it in Vancouver. If you do wind up getting them ground now make sure they don't have a spring pattern on their stone or you will be unhappy next winter.
    Last edited by old goat; 05-27-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    PTEX occurs before stone grinding. The stone cleans up the mess and gets everything flat.

In general, I would say that summer wax is cheap, easy, and can't hurt anything. But in this case no reason to put on a heavy wax layer if you're planning to PTEX, it'll just make it harder to get good adherence.
    This!