Longest ultra light rain shell

Looking for a jacket to stash in the bike backpack for downpours. Waterproof/ breathable is a plus or pit zips are a plus however I know pit zips add a couple ounces. Currently looking at Outdoor Research helium II, helium 2 HD, Patagonia alpinist Houdini and marmot precip (which is a good 2-3 ounces heavier) than the other ones mentioned.

I am 6 foot and 175 lb , with 35/ 36 arms and broad shoulders. The large Outdoor Research helium jacket is pretty tight across the shoulders and short in the backdrop over my butt and short in the arms.Large Marmot precip fits great but it's heavier and won't pack as well.

Any recommendations? Looking to utilize the Memorial Day sales

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Is this for cycling? Why not get a bike-specific jacket? They're cut with longer tail, longer arms, and (usually) no hood.

Longest ultra light rain shell

Showers Pass for bike jackets
    (Not sure whether lightweight)
    Last edited by acinpdx; 05-27-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Wrong recco now corrected (thx, curtf)

Yes, mt. biking Will look at bike specific ones. I like the hood though for hike a bike when it's pouring

https://www.mountainhardwear.ca/en/m...r=358#start=11

this is super light might be lighter than what you want , my kid didn't want it so gave it to me, I been carrying it around and its come in handy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm the same size as you with long arms as well, had a tough time finding one. Trew gear makes a killer rain jacket that is super light. Worn it in bad downpour conditions and never wetted out on the inside. 2 years on mine and no complaints. Think they are having a sale right now..

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Rainypass for bike jackets
    (Not sure whether lightweight)
    I think you mean Showers Pass. Definitely very good cycling attire.

The Showers Pass that I've got was very "cycle" fitting. As in tight, but with long arms, short body with tail, back pocket.
    Had to go up a size on pants.
    Dunno if they do more baggy stuff now.

I really liked the English mtb-steeze brand. *Endura* maybe???
    Expensive unless on good sale tho.
    They warrantied a jacket I'd had for about a year. Wrist closure issues.
    Packed down into its own pocket. Can attach a hood if you want.

Imma bit out of touch nowadays tho.
    Don't bike for work anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

That trew jacket looks perfect in a medium. Now just got to wait for it to be on sale for a 50% off, haha. I think with an uber one like the ghost l would be worried I would rip it by just brushing up against branches? 9-12 oz seems about the sweet spot for packability and durability. That trew one also "says" it is fully waterproof /breathable, which is nice. But it is too expensive for me. Anyone use the marmot precip?

Last edited by markcjr; 05-24-2018 at 06:22 PM.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

The Endura one looks like a nice jacket. I checked their website. It doesn't list weight or how small it packs down if anyone has any info.

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    That trew jacket looks perfect in a medium. Now just got to wait for it to be on sale for a 50% off, haha. I think with an uber one like the ghost l would be worried I would rip it by just brushing up against branches? 9-12 oz seems about the sweet spot for packability and durability. That trew one also "says" it is fully waterproof /breathable, which is nice. But it is too expensive for me. Anyone use the marmot precip?

Ya gotta wait for the sales. Sign up for their newsletter, they do them frequently.

It's 20k/40k so yes to both waterproof and breathable. I'm a fan boy for sure, but they make legit gear thats very durable.

I've got marmot precip rain paints and they work well but breathe like shit and are heavy. Like wearing a trash bag for pants if it's not cold out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

I went through a couple of 2.5 layer light shells pretty quickly when used exactly like you're describing in the original post - major delaminations starting in the neck/shoulders/cuffs.

Now I have a Rab Atmos which is Pertex 3 layer with a very light brushed inner fabric, feels like a real 3 layer shell but weighs under 300g. XL fits me a little baggy in the belly but good in shoulder width and a nice length (6ft4, 180lbs). It's their "slim" fit which I think is key. Looks like it doesn't exist any more but the Flashpoint 2 would be worth a look if you see it on sale - it's "Super light 3L Pertex" so even lighter but I can't comment on its durability: https://rab.equipment/eu/flashpoint-2-jacket

make sure the hood clears your helmet, just a suggestion so you aren't faced with a headache.

Thanks for the info so far guys, what is the difference between 2.5 layer and 3 layer?

Campmor has a sale currently on Showers Pass jackets.

I really need to get a decent rain jacket someday, which I'm mostly reminded of when I'm getting drenched in my crappy rain jacket. I put it off because I live in a desert and rarely get rained on. It's bike tours in other places when I inevitably get soaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Thanks for the info so far guys, what is the difference between 2.5 layer and 3 layer?

Think of the fabric as a sandwich:
    3-layer = face fabric then membrane (eg gore tex pro) then inner fabric (eg tricot lining)
    2.5-layer = face fabric then membrane (eg marmot nanopro) then inner print directly on membrane

In a 2.5L the inner print is meant to lighten up the jacket while still keeping some of the membrane off of you. It only *kinda* works - IME they work ok for quick t-storms/intermittent showers. Not that durable vs a 3L.

I have both for different purposes. Burlier and more waterproof ala Gore Pro for more serious conditions and a LW OR Helium2 for just in case use. Weight difference is about double for the Gore Pro, but worth it when needed.

In regards to the Precip, I've not heard the best over the years. Seems like the OR Helium is much more well received. YMMV

Got it, although the three layer is a little more spendy I will search for one of those.