Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nicola Electric Off-Roader

For all the dentists and ski town trust funders who needs more mountain play toys, let me present:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05...rival-a-tesla/
    Stats are pretty impressive! No way could I afford, let alone justify one, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to play with one for a few days.

Starting at $29k....even dental technicians can afford that.

Tesla
    Nikola
    I see what they did there

29k ain't much worse than some of the petrol models. If the range is what they claim, they should sell some.

If i keep busting myself up, i might end up with a Texas Wheelchair someday.

My rich buddy paid something like $60K for one of these. Sure as hell is fun.

The Nikola big rigs are pretty impressive too, there was a lot of noise when they came out a couple years ago but I haven't heard much since. They just sued Tesla for $2B last month for patent infringement on the trucks.

Goddamn do I hate side by sides. Electric, petrol, I wish those fucking things were never invented.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I hate them too. How dare somebody enjoy the outdoors in a differ way then how I do. I can’t believe my 70 year old parents would buy one so they could join in with the rest of the family on trail rides. They should require my mom to ride a dirt bike instead of in the side by side in relative comfort.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Goddamn do I hate side by sides. Electric, petrol, I wish those fucking things were never invented.
    Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    I hate them too. How dare somebody enjoy the outdoors in a differ way then how I do. I can’t believe my 70 year old parents would buy one so they could join in with the rest of the family on trail rides. They should require my mom to ride a dirt bike instead of in the side by side in relative comfort.
    Well at least we finally all agree on something.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The Nikola big rigs are pretty impressive too, there was a lot of noise when they came out a couple years ago but I haven't heard much since. They just sued Tesla for $2B last month for patent infringement on the trucks.

I ran across the big rigs a couple of weeks ago and found the hydrogen electric drive and nationwide refueling stations interesting. Anheuser-Busch seems confident they'll deliver and with Ryder doing maintenance it seems like support will be adequate.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The animosity of dirt bikers toward quads/SxS’s in my experience is a trail access & quality issue that varies depending on location. Guys riding out in the dunes or other wide spaces = kumbaya group hug. Trails in more rugged terrain = potential clusterfuck. “Took us years to work out this trail network with land manager. Clearly marked as single track. Obstacles placed at trailhead but these fatasses find ways to get around them. Trail turns into doubletrack. Mud bog zones increase. Land mgrs get pissed as trail becomes a road, with ride-around routes since these guys often avoid the tricky sections. Trail gets shut down. Rinse & repeat.”

^^That covers most of it. Hard to miss a quad's tracks when they poach. The other irritant is the number of solid axle quads that tear up the ground more than anything this side of a pack train.

^^
    Wut? People actually take those things on single track trails?! That WOULD be annoying. I figured most people would be using these to put around ranches and stuff. Think I'd only want to use one in wide open spaces if it was public lands.

Semi-related, Land Rover claims that it’s new defender will include an all electric version.

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I shudder to even consider using an EV for AVT use anywhere around water.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    ^^
    Wut? People actually take those things on single track trails?! That WOULD be annoying. I figured most people would be using these to put around ranches and stuff. Think I'd only want to use one in wide open spaces if it was public lands.

Yeah, there's a certain amount of assholes that do all kinds of stupid stuff on them. With the forums for SXS, bunch of them load up and make the trip to Moab, Taylor Creek, etc. etc.

I was in the hate SXS camp for a long time, then i met some Gunnison locals driving them, and had to look damn hard to even tell where they'd driven. Nice very low impact operators. Like the Tread Lightly saying.

Basically there's certain amount of people that are just plain fuck ups, regardless of their mode of transportation. Mtn. bike, dirt bike, horse, etc. etc. can all do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    ^^
    I'm guessing UTpowder is using the word "trail" in a looser sense that means jeep/4x4 trails, i.e. rugged doubletrack. Not that what frorider described doesn't happen. All around Moab there are signs saying vehicles are restricted to "designated" routes, but if you look closely the word "designated" is on a separate piece that was added to the sign later. The signs originally said "established," but people were going out and burning tracks into virgin desert because, "Hey, there's tracks there now, looks established to me!"

I don't hate the UTVs, but they do amuse me. In So. Utah they usually travel in packs of 4-8+ and everyone but the lead dude is perpetually engulfed in a cloud of dust, seems miserable. Better than the putzs in rented Wranglers tooling around with the windows up and the AC cranked, because you want to see the desert, but not be in the desert, ya know

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Basically there's certain amount of people that are just plain fuck ups, regardless of their mode of transportation. Mtn. bike, dirt bike, horse, etc. etc. can all do damage.
    True, but the motorized fuckups can do far more damage than a human-powered fuckup could ever dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    Cry me a river. If you're going to trot out that argument I'd like you to go advocate for tobogganing at Alta, longboarding BCC road, and put in a good word so that I can ride my moto on Mid-Mountain.

There are assholes in every user-group, but it seems like SXS's take it to another level. There are other lesser-known issues than just trail abuse. I've got friends who spend time working on a 45k acre ranch N. of Elko. In Nevada it's creating a feedback loop where there are so many fatties running around the back roads "hunting" that all the elk have moved to extremely remote areas that are only accessible on horse or very strenuously by foot (which doesn't really work for packing out). Department of Wildlife is pissed because the elk are overpopulated and running out the deer - percentage of tags filled is way down because the average person without a horse can't get that far into the backcountry, while at the same time tags are being snapped up by all the fatties on SXS's who literally just mach around the backroads and fire-roads and then come up to the ranch complaining "where are all the elk?"

Are there good folks that ride SXS's? Sure. Does it change the fact that they suck and have exponentially created access to assholes who haven't ever put in the time in any other way in the wilderness and don't have the same level of respect? Yes.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Cry me a river. If you're going to trot out that argument I'd like you to go advocate for tobogganing at Alta, longboarding BCC road, and put in a good word so that I can ride my moto on Mid-Mountain.

There are assholes in every user-group, but it seems like SXS's take it to another level. There are other lesser-known issues than just trail abuse. I've got friends who spend time working on a 45k acre ranch N. of Elko. In Nevada it's creating a feedback loop where there are so many fatties running around the back roads "hunting" that all the elk have moved to extremely remote areas that are only accessible on horse or very strenuously by foot (which doesn't really work for packing out). Department of Wildlife is pissed because the elk are overpopulated and running out the deer - percentage of tags filled is way down because the average person without a horse can't get that far into the backcountry, while at the same time tags are being snapped up by all the fatties on SXS's who literally just mach around the backroads and fire-roads and then come up to the ranch complaining "where are all the elk?"

Are there good folks that ride SXS's? Sure. Does it change the fact that they suck and have exponentially created access to assholes who haven't ever put in the time in any other way in the wilderness and don't have the same level of respect? Yes.
    Amen. They seem to breed like Mormons in Utah.

Like you said assholes in every group. Perhaps you should hate the assholes and not equipment they are using.

I've ran into several assholes on snowmobiles, Mtn bikes, skis, etc. In fact I ran into an asshole this morning pushing a shopping cart. I fucking hate shopping carts it allows all the fatties to wander around the grocery store slowly filling their carts with overly processed carbs and sugars. It pisses off those of us that want to get in and out. All the good deals are being snapped up by the fatties slowly meandering around the store pushing their grocery carts. Its getting so bad that it takes 20 minutes for the average person to get from the butcher to the beer aisle.

As for tobogganing at Alta, long boarding BCC road, or riding your moto mid-mountain, these activities are regulated for obvious needed reasons. If the the SXS's are causing such a concern then I would imagine the fish and game or FS could regulate them in a similar way. Perhaps maybe you could advocate for such a change in regulation. Or you could open your mind a little and recognize that there are other points of view and just because they don't align with yours doesn't make them wrong.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

This and everyone should be required to ski powder on skis less than 90mm underfoot because fat asses on fat skis are wrecking the powder for everyone else.. And GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Shopping cart required because they don’t staff registers anymore and standing in line with arms precariously loaded with more crap than you intended blows. Just gotta park that bitch and base camp it. If high, take a second to make a mental note of where you parked it.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Shopping cart required because they don’t staff registers anymore and standing in line with arms precariously loaded with more crap than you intended blows. Just gotta park that bitch and base camp it. If high, take a second to make a mental note of where you parked it.
    Kinda feels like the wrong thread but I'll play anyways, I take the fucking handbasket and after a few minutes remember I need milk and olive oil and laundry detergent and dog food and everything else heavy they have in the store. I definitely park that shit but the only time those clowns are efficient is putting my shit back before I get back to claim it. Kinda feels like they're watching me on camera and they're just fucking with me.

That’s pretty funny. I’ve had people take mine by mistake. Haven’t had them repo it yet.