Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    My wife just won the class in our local island regatta… good choice to not fly the spinnaker and bump us up a class.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    My wife just won the class in our local island regatta… good choice to not fly the spinnaker and bump us up a class.
    Nice!
    I still call it The Jake.

I went down to Community Sailing and raced 420s a few Fridays ago with our son. Wicked fun! It's been 28 years since I was racing those boats, so tacking was not as fluid and graceful as I remember it being lol.

The J/24 nationals are being held in Mallet's Bay in a couple weekends. Unfortunately I've got a conflict on Saturday, thinking I might see if I can spectate on Sunday.

Awesome day out with Windworks in Seattle on their Basic Keelboat lesson today. Perfect weather, 10knot wind, super fun time on the little Catalina 22. Rainier and Baler are white again and the mountains were all out.

I think I’m going to aim for their weeklong Bareboat cert rather than taking them all piecemeal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3207.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	386184

Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Awesome day out with Windworks in Seattle on their Basic Keelboat lesson today. Perfect weather, 10knot wind, super fun time on the little Catalina 22. Rainier and Baler are white again and the mountains were all out.

I think I’m going to aim for their weeklong Bareboat cert rather than taking them all piecemeal.

Name:	IMG_3207.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	386184
    Glad that worked out for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Really getting hooked on this sailing thing. Such a great way to get around on the water. Already dreaming about bigger adventures and different boats, but this little one does ok on our lake. A nice 5 hour downwind sail to this great cove and no one in sight. Beautiful spot to spend the night, drink wine, swim, hike and back the next day

Name:	IMG_8311.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	386260

Name:	IMG_8297.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	386262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8305.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	386263

^^^Looks lovely… Enjoy!

I took a learn to sail course this past weekend with the Nevada Yacht Club on Lake Mead. I'd been sailing a bit before, but it had been a few years and I was never really competent in the first place. It was a ton of fun and a good group of low key folks. I'll plan on getting out with them again soon.

Lake Mead is getting so low though, that it's extremely difficult to impossible to launch a keelboat. Basically a bunch of boats are stuck in the water or dry storage. We'll see what they do about that in the future. It doesn't seem like water levels are going to rise soon.

With that being said, I'm considering getting a beach launchable dinghy. A Hobie Getaway seems ideal for beginner family sailing and exploring a big lake. Anything else that I should keep my eyes open for?

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Really getting hooked on this sailing thing. Such a great way to get around on the water. Already dreaming about bigger adventures and different boats, but this little one does ok on our lake. A nice 5 hour downwind sail to this great cove and no one in sight. Beautiful spot to spend the night, drink wine, swim, hike and back the next day

Name:	IMG_8311.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	386260

ID:	386262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8305.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	386263
    Gorgeous! Where is that?

Solid sailing stoke.

Thanks... Okanagan lake, between Penticton and Kelowna. An easier way to explain it would be about 50 miles from El Hefe's dock. Ha! 2.5 Hours from Revelstoke.

Nice work, MB. Never did take a course, but found that a case of beer will entice an old, experienced sailor on board for a day and great way to learn the ropes... or sheets. Have seen some Hobie's zipping around the lake and looks like a great way to get out on the water and learn. Easier to explore other lakes as well once lake Mead dries up.

I took a keel boat course at the Community Sailing center last month and have been out a few times at the helm of their Sonar 23s since. What a blast. The first time out, there was no wind (like we needed to be towed back in, no wind). The second time out, we sailed the tail end of Hurricane Ida in ˜20 knot winds and I definitely felt out of my league. Since then I've had a few days of sub 10 knot winds which have been an absolute blast. I'm looking forward to sailing with a few experienced mags before I start to get into bad habits before the season closes out in a few weeks.

The Sailing Thread

Good stoke here. I didn’t wind up doing the classes this year but they are surprisingly affordable and it looks like it will open up a whole new world. But, if u buy your own, nobody asks.

Fair winds!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

[QUOTE=alive;6411654]

ID:	386262

Looks like you might not have the clew and/or head tight enough on the mainsail?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I took a keel boat course at the Community Sailing center last month and have been out a few times at the helm of their Sonar 23s since. What a blast. The first time out, there was no wind (like we needed to be towed back in, no wind). The second time out, we sailed the tail end of Hurricane Ida in ˜20 knot winds and I definitely felt out of my league. Since then I've had a few days of sub 10 knot winds which have been an absolute blast. I'm looking forward to sailing with a few experienced mags before I start to get into bad habits before the season closes out in a few weeks.
    If you ever make it over to Acadia, I’d be happy to take you sailing for a day. Lots of season left and good Fall winds.

[QUOTE=PNWbrit;6412793]
    Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post

ID:	386262

Looks like you might not have the clew and/or head tight enough on the mainsail?
    Clew? Can't see the clew of the Main Just teasing, critiquing a mag's sailing technique from a 1,000+ miles away is the most TGR thing I've done this week, so here goes, lol.

Looks like he's on a broad reach so maybe let the jib out a bit? Then again could be a little windier out than a pic lets on (I see he's got his reef sheet up).

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    If you ever make it over to Acadia, I’d be happy to take you sailing for a day. Lots of season left and good Fall winds.
    That is some grade-A choice sailing right there this time of year. Aunt/Uncle have a b+b in Bar Harbor and got out on their boat years back this same time of year and it's been a goal ever since to get back.

Ha,please critique away! Have only been out solo three or four times and still figuring out some of the finer points.
    Yes, was mostly heading downwind and a slight broad reach. Had the whisker pole out early in the afternoon as there was almost 0 wind. Within a couple of hours the wind was crazy. At that point was mostly using the main sail and quite happy at 6+ knots. And yes, clew was tight, but the main sail was loose. And I felt a little off putting that much pressure on the winch to get the sail tight. Like tightening a binding screw when mounting skis, still not sure where that breaking point is. Ha.
    Hoping to post up some ski/sail stoke this winter.

Make sure the main is completely luffing while you're heading dead up wind to haul up the main the last few inches. The winch being that hard but still not tight is a sign that the sail was under wind load.

Your boat?

If you don't have one then a clearly visible mark on the top of the mast helps.

And a whole bunch of yarn tell tales are your friend for good trimming.

Maybe the slugs and slides need attention with graphite or wet lube
    Watch from the helm anwhen it got close to the top we give the main sheet a snap

Badass, feet forward!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Anybody watching SailGP in San Fran today?

They must have apologized for language about 5 times that I saw. AUS and ESP almost became one team around one of the markers. Those damn boats fly. Japan hit 90km/h at one point. Fun to watch.

Don't mind the Committee Boat there. It'll buff out.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cb-zl...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

83 year old Japanese man becomes oldest person to solo cross the Pacific.

In a 19 fucking foot boat

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/...cross-pacific/

Badass