Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Beaming/reaching downwind is like some kind of reward you get after all your beating to weather.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Beaming/reaching downwind is like some kind of reward you get after all your beating to weather.

That's a fact. Put it wing to wing, like setting cruise control and enjoy a nice beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    So much going on I wanted to bump this thread.

Vendee Globe

Vendeglobe.org

Such an amazing race on the IMOCA 60. Most of the fleet on foils. Problems galore. Broken carbon fiber abound. Alex Thompson broke the longitudinal beam in tropical storm theta. Now he is retiring due to a broken starboard rudder. Insta Alex_Thompson_Racing

Linked Out is down to one foil after either hitting something or the carbon unwound itself due to the stress loads on the starboard foil. He is still in second place after jumping the fleet around the St Helena high. He sailed the shorter route.

There is a group of 7 or so boats screaming down a line catching the lead 2 boats on the way to the cape of good hope. Sometimes running in the 20 plus knots boat speed. That is insane. 25 28 30 knots all possible in these boats.

In addition the Jules Verne start was a couple of days ago and the super tri's should catch and pass the inocas somewhere in the southern ocean. Where dragons live.

America's Cup in less than a months time in Auckland. 75 foot foiling yachts. 4 countries competing.

Exciting times for sailors.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for bumping it. I would've missed it completely. Took a long break from TGR and recently got into the mix.
    I really miss great threads like this. I'm on Cape Cod, grew up on Buzzards Bay. Got an invite to come up and kitesurf Lake Champlain in the spring. Maybe connect the TGR crew and make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G930T using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

I love getting my Laser on a beam reach in a wind howling so hard I can barely keep it upright. Last time i took it out all the motor boats were scampering for cover. I got wiped out a few times, when I
    finally had enough and pulled up on shore a couple old guys gave me a beer and told me I was nuts.

Unfortunately the lake the boat will be living on from now on rarely gets real screaming wind.

Checking in.
    I still call it The Jake.

So who's gone spinnaker flying?

I have!

I had two look twice to see the pole

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Laser cape cod a few sundays ago
    https://youtu.be/98achTGAKsU

I picked up a used Laser race sail a few years ago, the guy had 2 telltails about 3 feet up from the window and 3 feet back from the mast. I makes getting the sail trimed perfect so easy, when they're both straight back and parallel to each other it's perfect.

Nachos, lemon heads, my dad's boat

you wont go down 'cause my dick can float

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Nachos, lemon heads, my dad's boat

you wont go down 'cause my dick can float
    Produce a quart ?
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Rescue at sea in the Southern Ocean during the Vende Globe.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/2335...-from-liferaft

https://www.france24.com/en/africa/2...obe-yacht-race

Can't embed
    https://youtu.be/--icbfU5rnw

Jean Le Cam. Hero!!!!!!!
    Kevin Escoffier survives.

Heroic rescue at sea

Rescue at sea in the Southern Ocean during the Vende Globe.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/2335...-from-liferaft

https://www.france24.com/en/africa/2...obe-yacht-race

Can't embed
    https://youtu.be/--icbfU5rnw

Jean Le Cam. Hero!!!!!!!
    Kevin Escoffier survives.

Heroic rescue at sea

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    This is a great race so far.

Le Cam is fucking killing it in this race. Old dude - I think the oldest to ever do the race at sixty something. And he's been hanging near the leaders for the whole race so far (until he diverted for the rescue) even though he's one of the few competitive racers in a non-foiling boat. So he's beating the snot out of a bunch of young guys in boats that are several knots faster on any given point of sail just with better navigation and seamanship. Then he single-handedly performs a rescue that sounds like one of the scariest, most audacious rescues in the history of the race. Cool as shit.

And then Sam Davies has a real chance of being the first woman to win (and I think the first non-French). She's been hanging in the front group in a last-generation foiler. She's fast and in a proven boat.

And it's a shame that Alex Thompson's boat broke - he's all attitude and bluster but he sails like a bat out of hell and he's always got some hot-shit cutting-edge boat.

Here's a little footage of Thompson from a prior Vendee Globe. One of the first times anyone's got aerial footage of the boats in the southern ocean. And he had already broken his starboard foil in this race, so he's not foiling in the footage - just crushing waves at the edge of the Antarctic ice zone at 20+ knots. Imagine sailing that hard, alone, 24/7, for three months. Fucking insane.

https://youtu.be/GLobesQDSAU?t=115

^^^
    Holy shit that’s just nuts. Him standing on the rail just to flash the flag was ballsy. The rest is just insane. Literally on the edge and balls to the wall with nothing but cold, waves and fog as far as you can see.

Anybody who leaves Les Sable-d'Olonne in an Open 60 is a total bad ass. AFAIC

The real Danger in Sailing the high Seas at such speeds appears to be the likelihood of hitting UFO's (unidentified floating object) This trend seems to be increasing all the time. Four years ago, Hugo Boss lost a foil, and likely a rudder this time around.
    A couple of days ago, the Maxi " Edmund de Rothchild" abandoned it's Jules Verne Trophy attempt after rudder damage resulting from UFO collision. They were averaging 35knot's and covered 1900 miles in 3 days, That's Flying!

Every edition of the Vendee is pact with High Seas drama and stuff of legend, and this one is no different! The best part now with all the high tech comms.,We get to follow along better than ever! and it's only really just begun, The whole Southern Ocean remains and the drag race up the Atlantic!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

The bow broke off???? Fuck, that’s a cool head to send a text, get in your survival suit and life raft while taking on water.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    The bow broke off????
    If you read this in Ron White's voice the same way as he described the wheel falling off his van it really drives it home.

It fell the fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    If you read this in Ron White's voice the same way as he described the wheel falling off his van it really drives it home.

It fell the fuck off.
    The front fell off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Quote Originally Posted by back bowl View Post
    That's hilarious. I love imperial humour.

Damn, Sam Davies on Initiatives Coeur has struck UFO and headed north at reduced speed.
    Sebastion Simon on Arkea Paprec has collided with UFO and has damaged starboard foil.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by back bowl View Post
    This is a great race so far.

Le Cam is fucking killing it in this race. Old dude - I think the oldest to ever do the race at sixty something. And he's been hanging near the leaders for the whole race so far (until he diverted for the rescue) even though he's one of the few competitive racers in a non-foiling boat. So he's beating the snot out of a bunch of young guys in boats that are several knots faster on any given point of sail just with better navigation and seamanship. Then he single-handedly performs a rescue that sounds like one of the scariest, most audacious rescues in the history of the race. Cool as shit.

And then Sam Davies has a real chance of being the first woman to win (and I think the first non-French). She's been hanging in the front group in a last-generation foiler. She's fast and in a proven boat.

And it's a shame that Alex Thompson's boat broke - he's all attitude and bluster but he sails like a bat out of hell and he's always got some hot-shit cutting-edge boat.

Here's a little footage of Thompson from a prior Vendee Globe. One of the first times anyone's got aerial footage of the boats in the southern ocean. And he had already broken his starboard foil in this race, so he's not foiling in the footage - just crushing waves at the edge of the Antarctic ice zone at 20+ knots. Imagine sailing that hard, alone, 24/7, for three months. Fucking insane.

https://youtu.be/GLobesQDSAU?t=115
    Talk about heeling that thing over. When the jib is flying underwater you're killing it.

I have!

Where was that picture taken?