TR: Diamond Strawberry

I've had this linkup rattling around in my head for quite a few years. Diamond Fork Canyon up and over to Strawberry Reservoir, climb back over the ridge and descend to 5th Water Hot Springs.

11 mile climb to get things rolling, mostly singletrack.

nippin' out

The sky started making lots of noises, kept me on my toes

8 miles of dirt road cruising to the next trail, the kids call it "gravel grinding"

Staying out in front of the storm

Willow Creek, first time riding this trail for me. It trended downhill for about 8 miles but was more adventurous than adrenaline-y.

The trail must have had no less than 25 creek crossings

The canyon was really interesting; lots of cool little side hill sections and endless beaver ponds

A 3ish mile hike had me back up to more forest service roads. Along the traverse I caught the first glimpse of Strawberry Reservoir.

There's a scenic, rolling singletrack that connects Soldier Creek and Strawberry Reservoirs through the Strawberry Narrows. It's not too wild but it has it's moments, early season meant there was quite a bit of blow down to scramble over though

After Strawberry Narrows came the only pavement of the entire ride...2 whole miles.

Turning off the pavement had me climbing for a bit to gain the Strawberry Ridge. From there it was a 10 mile, 3k singletrack swoop back to the car.

2 miles from the bottom are the 5th Water Hot Springs, too inviting not to make a quick stop before finishing.

I was pretty spent by the end, soaking in the hot pots for a half hour certainly didn't help!

Solid!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Nice ride, bonus points for lack of gears

Yes! I’ve been wanting to explore this zone ever since that PC to Moab Commute thing from a few years back

Oh hell yeah! 2nd Water/Center to get things started? Did you do Willow Creek from the very top or did you drop into it via Racetrack or Buffalo Canyon? That had to have been, what, a 60-70 mile and 15-20k vert day, on a damn SS? You're an animal.

That looks rad, nice work!

Have you done any riding / exploring in the Uintas? I stopped in the area a couple times. Lots blocked by wilderness but I think there could be a good bikepack loop around the whole range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Oh hell yeah! 2nd Water/Center to get things started? Did you do Willow Creek from the very top or did you drop into it via Racetrack or Buffalo Canyon? That had to have been, what, a 60-70 mile and 15-20k vert day, on a damn SS? You're an animal.
    Yup, Willow creek from the top. Looking at Trailforks I think Buffalo would probably be the more fun option but I wanted to see what Willow was all about. It ended up a hair over 64 miles and 9k vert.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    That looks rad, nice work!

Have you done any riding / exploring in the Uintas? I stopped in the area a couple times. Lots blocked by wilderness but I think there could be a good bikepack loop around the whole range.
    I've spent a good amount of time in the Uintas, there are some fun rides out that way but a lot of what's open to bikes is really neglected from a maintenance standpoint; lots of neglected and non existent trails. I've poured over maps and put together non-wilderness trails to try to come up with some big rides but haven't gotten around to doing them. I've backpacked some of the eastern side trails that aren't in the big W and think they're better traveled on foot.

The Bench Creek stuff is really fun and actually very easy to connect over to the Strawberry area via dirt, endless options for multi-day stuff. What I like about bikepacking are the ridiculous linkups that become possible when you don't have to factor in getting back to a trailhead at the end of the day!

Very cool to know that is still there.

Did that ride (or close to it) back in the mid 80s. I was told the hot springs had been submerged by the lake of something like that. Beautiful place and a great ride. Thx.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Nice ride. That looks like a RSD Sargeant set up singlespeed? Got one late last season and did the same. Pretty fun bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Very cool to know that is still there.

Did that ride (or close to it) back in the mid 80s. I was told the hot springs had been submerged by the lake of something like that. Beautiful place and a great ride. Thx.
    The Diamond Fork hot springs are on the other side of the divide from the reservoir. It's possible there were some on the reservoir side that got flooded when they expanded Strawberry, but that was in the mid-70s. There was also the Thistle Slide in '83 that created a big temporary lake on the Spanish Fork river nearby, but that also never threatened Diamond Fork.

Can't believe I guessed the mileage that close. I'm surprised the vert was less than 10k, but the relief isn't huge in that area so I suppose it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Nice ride. That looks like a RSD Sargeant set up singlespeed? Got one late last season and did the same
    Yeah, it’s really fun