Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2018 Grand Cherokee: awesome or crap (vs Outback, etc.)?

Seeing the '98 GC thread, and remembering all the tough-to-combat electrical (etc.) problems it had...

Looking to replace my 2011 Sube Outback 3.6r. Mostly been a great car (with a few warts, but nothing serious), and completely reliable (mechanically at least - bullshit "leather" drivers seat has some major cracks in the part that is not in fact leather, etc.), to 100k miles.

Considering another OB, but the CVT is giving me 2nd thoughts, and my wife is getting sick of serial subes (current is my 5th in a row, lol).

So the 2018 Grand looks very similar in a lot of ways. But I can't get a decent feel for it online - lots of contradicting info. Owner reviews are overwhelmingly positive. But e.g. JD Powers has it as mechanically not so awesome, giving it 2 stars for reliability, vs 4 for the Outback (and yet, somehow cost of ownership is higher with the OB, wtf?). Most called-out is the transmission. 8-sp AT sounds nice, compared to the CVT (don't want to rely on a rubber band CVT if I don't have to). I wouldn't be using it to the max (towing some giganto RV etc.), but obviously a reliable tranny is key.

For years, I swore I'd never buy a Chrysler (well, considered a non-grand back in the '90s). But their brief stint with Benz seemed to really improve things (if not necessarily for Benz). Possibly their time since with Fiat may have undone that...?

Opinions, thoughts, etc. on a 2018 Grand Cherokee vs a 2018 Outback? Or...other suggestions (btw have considered a pickup, but now think I'm not going there)?

Who owns Jeep now, Fiat?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Who owns Jeep now, Fiat?
    yep

Had a grand Cherokee for a rental for a week this past winter from SLC to Jackson and back. Comfortable, back seats fold down flat, held all my skis and luggage, had no worries about getting stuck with 4wd and high clearance.

The thing sucks down gas like a hog, though. But what do you expect? Probably twice as heavy as the Subaru, and aerodynamics is like a barn door.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I really like my 2015 Summit w/Hemi. I tow a lot and it handles loads well.
    I did pay an extra $2200 for lifetime Max Care, because of the reputation.

We have 2 JEEP GC, a 14 Overland and a 17 limited.

I was hesitant when we got the 14, but it really grew on me. So much that I inherited the 14 and we picked up the 17 last year for my wife’s DD. She averages 23 mpg according to the computer. I think MB enhanced the interior quality as it is actually pretty nice inside especially the Overland.

The Overland has more bells and whistles, adjustable height suspension, leather dash, safety features, bigger wheels, etc. The Limited is a little less upscale but is a nice comfortable ride. No off-road for us but more than capable in the snow and fire roads.

Plenty of trunk space and rear seats are comfortable. We throw a box on it for long trips.

I would suggest looking used, these things take a serious hit after the first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    We have 2 JEEP GC, a 14 Overland and a 17 limited.

I was hesitant when we got the 14, but it really grew on me. So much that I inherited the 14 and we picked up the 17 last year for my wife’s DD. She averages 23 mpg according to the computer. I think MB enhanced the interior quality as it is actually pretty nice inside especially the Overland.

The Overland has more bells and whistles, adjustable height suspension, leather dash, safety features, bigger wheels, etc. The Limited is a little less upscale but is a nice comfortable ride. No off-road for us but more than capable in the snow and fire roads.

Plenty of trunk space and rear seats are comfortable. We throw a box on it for long trips.

I would suggest looking used, these things take a serious hit after the first year.

How many miles have you put on your 14?

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    How many miles have you put on your 14?
    80k. Had to replace the radiator at 70, it was leaking, and a couple sets of tires. Tires seem to wear fast on these, maybe due to the weight.

Other than that, knock wood, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Had a grand Cherokee for a rental for a week this past winter from SLC to Jackson and back. Comfortable, back seats fold down flat, held all my skis and luggage, had no worries about getting stuck with 4wd and high clearance.

The thing sucks down gas like a hog, though. But what do you expect? Probably twice as heavy as the Subaru, and aerodynamics is like a barn door.

GC (4x4) is around 4700 lbs. OB 3.6R is 3900. A significant difference, but 23 real-world mpg's (stated above) is not too much worse than the ~25 I get in the OB (remembering that it's the 6 cylinder, so little worse mileage than the 4 - totally worth it though, as at least at CO elevations, the 4-cyl is a pig).

Think I can live with 23 mpg (better than my buddy's Raptor, which averages around 12!).

Also look at the Cherokee. I have the 2014 Trailhawk version, 55K miles on it now, not a single problem other than some very minor recall repairs for random things. I was weary when i started leasing as that was the first year the model was offered, but it's been strong and I bought the car after the lease was up. From what I've heard the smaller 2.4L engine is shit, but the 3.2L has been great (same one in the Grand Cherokee). Very punchy and fun to drive. Mileage is decent with my lead foot (23 mostly city).

Friend got the 2018 GC Overland and likes it so far but not a lot of miles. Adjustable air suspension had a faulty air manifold from the factory but that was fixed in a day. -More complex equipment a car has the more that can break...

I think the Cherokee is a better deal - you can fully load the higher end models (Trailhawk, Overland) and get a much nicer vehicle than the low-mid end GC models, for less money. Tech package (lane assist, adaptive cruise, parking sensors, active safety) is the best add-on IMO. Already paid for itself by saving me from backing into a few things I couldn't really see out the back. Storage is great, fits a ton with the seats folded down and there isn't much of a difference in interior space for most things. Can fit in a bunch of skis in the back, or on the roof rack. Smaller size is nice for city parking, and although I haven't done anything with it, it's supposedly pretty good off-road.

Only downside I could see is if you are towing anything heavy.

There some reason you aren't looking at a 4Runner? Slightly dated, but reliable as shit and lasts.

4 Runner would be on my shortlist, since it seems like you can stomach the hit in mpg compared to OB.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    There some reason you aren't looking at a 4Runner? Slightly dated, but reliable as shit and lasts.
    The 4Runner is smaller inside and doesn't drive as well on pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The 4Runner is smaller inside and doesn't drive as well on pavement.
    I have a Gen 5 4Runner and a 2016 GC.

The 4 Runner is bigger inside. And yea, the GC is a much better ride on pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I have a Gen 5 4Runner and a 2016 GC.

The 4 Runner is bigger inside. And yea, the GC is a much better ride on pavement.
    Yep. Had considered a 4 Runner. But the webz tells me it's definitely not a nice ride on pavement, and only a good choice if you spend lots of time offroad.

And much to my chagrin, the majority of my miles are spent on a 70 mile rount-trip commute that due to traffic often feels like 100 (ok, so only 3 days a week, but it still sucks). Other than that...still 95%+ on-pavement. So shitty on-road performance would be stupid for me.

I was looking at the new xc60, but I've known a couple of folks that have had terrible luck with Volvo's (one had to replace the damn engine at 40k miles!), so I'm pretty hesitant (though the Overseas Delivery program is reeeally tempting: https://www.volvocars.com/us/shoppin...rseas-delivery)

More 1st-hand experience with the current-gen Grand Cherokee? Any other suggestions?

I came out of a Gx470 and still have an 05 4R with a V8.
    The new 4R’s are underpowered.

70 mile commute is a long ways. Basically a free car payment per year in gas savings going with an Outback vs something middle twenties in mileage and two car payments per year going with Outback over the 4R.

Just saying. I have low tolerance for burning up our 4R with just myself and a work tote in it. Loaded down with gear and kids or towing I am okay with the mileage.

Also our 4R used to have the worst ride ever. Old man emu springs and Bilsteins and it is really quite acceptable if not downright cush.

Neighbor has a Grand Cherokee SRT. Seems nice. He washes and waxes it daily and I doubt it ever sees full throttle or anything off pavement. He offers me advice on cars and it is hilarious to me how he can be factually correct but because he sees the world entirely differently than I do his car buying habits are polar to mine. He likes it though. Nice interiors.

2018 Grand Cherokee: awesome or crap (vs Outback, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    GC (4x4) is around 4700 lbs. OB 3.6R is 3900. A significant difference, but 23 real-world mpg's (stated above) is not too much worse than the ~25 I get in the OB (remembering that it's the 6 cylinder, so little worse mileage than the 4 - totally worth it though, as at least at CO elevations, the 4-cyl is a pig).

Think I can live with 23 mpg (better than my buddy's Raptor, which averages around 12!).
    I am in the 2015 4cyl Outback Limited and we get about 30 without the roof rack and highway. 25 with a box on it mixed. FWIW
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I doubt I do much better than 26 or 27mpg in our 2011 4cyl Outback with the 6MT. I could probably nurse it to 30 highway by driving slowly and upshifting aggressively, but it feels underpowered enough as it is.

You can get the GC with a diesel. It's something of a unicorn, but it's out there.

Just saw a big fuel pump recall issued for cherokees

And a cruise control failure recall for Fiat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I doubt I do much better than 26 or 27mpg in our 2011 4cyl Outback with the 6MT. I could probably nurse it to 30 highway by driving slowly and upshifting aggressively, but it feels underpowered enough as it is.

You can get the GC with a diesel. It's something of a unicorn, but it's out there.
    I can get 26 to 27 in my 02 with no box on the roof and it doesn't even have vvt. Maybe 25 to 26 cruising at 75 to 80. The new ones have the fb vs ej engine that your have and cvt to keep the revs super low. Not that I don't covet the 6 spd mt and am leery of the cvt because I do and am. Just saying I think the new ones can do a legit 30 plus in good driving conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post
    I am in the 2015 4cyl Outback Limited and we get about 30 without the roof rack and highway.
    +1.

I can average about 30 mpg on a flat highway with an empty car (e.g., Denver to Oklahoma, which I drove once for a funeral), but I honestly don't see how one could average the spec'd 32 mpg unless they were doing 55 mph on a flat highway with no wind at sea level.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Yep. Had considered a 4 Runner. But the webz tells me it's definitely not a nice ride on pavement, and only a good choice if you spend lots of time offroad.

And much to my chagrin, the majority of my miles are spent on a 70 mile rount-trip commute that due to traffic often feels like 100 (ok, so only 3 days a week, but it still sucks). Other than that...still 95%+ on-pavement. So shitty on-road performance would be stupid for me.

I was looking at the new xc60, but I've known a couple of folks that have had terrible luck with Volvo's (one had to replace the damn engine at 40k miles!), so I'm pretty hesitant (though the Overseas Delivery program is reeeally tempting: https://www.volvocars.com/us/shoppin...rseas-delivery)
    Maybe a 4R and a beater Corolla for commuting? Just a thought. Re Volvo: my buddy drives a 15 yo XC70 with like 180k on it, and has been very happy with it -- has only replaced wearable items.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 05-26-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

have a 14 summit with 55k and just small software glitches in the first year and a few recalls, not a single problem or a single minute without being able to drive it!

And why aren’t t you looking at an Allroad or a 328 sport wagon?
    Wierd

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda