Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Ski Chile 2018

Seems like a pretty poor decision to have chosen Chillàn as my destination for the season, snow is very poor and doesn't look like it's going to get better in the forecast ahead. The mountain also seems to be taking on less ski patrol than planned due to the conditions, which isn't a great sign either.

Ski Chile 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Jasnah View Post
    Seems like a pretty poor decision to have chosen Chillàn as my destination for the season, snow is very poor and doesn't look like it's going to get better in the forecast ahead. The mountain also seems to be taking on less ski patrol than planned due to the conditions, which isn't a great sign either.
    Check out the Araucania regions 3 ski areas, they have snow. Or head north, the 3 Valleys are in full swing high season, they must need hands.

Some scenic shots looking north, east, and south respectively from the top of Fabres today, which gives a fairly good overview of the knot of lifts where the 3 Valleys meet. From Las Águilas and Franciscano of LP, through Valle Olímpico El Colorado, Andes Express of VN, Valle Nevado town, and the El Cono norte of EC again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1169.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	760.4 KB 
ID:	240895

Name:	IMG_1170.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	569.1 KB 
ID:	240896

Name:	IMG_1130.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	240897

And yes there was some pow left today

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	240899,
    Last edited by Casey E; 07-08-2018 at 02:44 PM.

I'm about ready to lock in a plane ticket for a week in the middle of August. Will go where the good snow is, which hopefully will be everywhere by then.

Idahospuds Gnarbro360. I’m heading Chile solo on July 20th to the 30th. Going to be skiing and surfing wherever looks best. Definitely down to ski the super C or other backcountry during that time frame, as it seems like you have to hike for the goods in most of Chile. I’d be down to coordinate something.

Another question. Does Portillo even sell day tickets? Like if I just showed up would I be able to buy a day ticket, or do I have to book in advance. I know they limit the number of tickets sold. I wouldn’t want to drive up there on a pow day and get turned away.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    Idahospuds Gnarbro360. I’m heading Chile solo on July 20th to the 30th. Going to be skiing and surfing wherever looks best. Definitely down to ski the super C or other backcountry during that time frame, as it seems like you have to hike for the goods in most of Chile. I’d be down to coordinate something.

Another question. Does Portillo even sell day tickets? Like if I just showed up would I be able to buy a day ticket, or do I have to book in advance. I know they limit the number of tickets sold. I wouldn’t want to drive up there on a pow day and get turned away.

Let me know what your plan evolves to when you get here. I'd be down for a mission assuming I have a day off while you're here. It looks like I might have the 23-25 off, unless it is snowing.

Portillo ocassionally sells day tickets. Depends on the number of guests in the hotel at that time. I'd call a day or two before and ask. Day tickets are relatively cheap compared to US resorts. Also, if it is snowing or has snowed recently the highway between Los Andes and Portillo will likely be closed. I hear some years they are geat about keeping it open...doesn't seem like that is the case this year.

Seems like they got juncalillo up and running...gnarbro, how is roca jack looking? A trip to Portillo without roca jack or lake run would be . Not panicking with a month left though, made my payment so I am locked in. Pumped!

Quote Originally Posted by skiandgolfnut View Post
    Seems like they got juncalillo up and running...gnarbro, how is roca jack looking? A trip to Portillo without roca jack or lake run would be . Not panicking with a month left though, made my payment so I am locked in. Pumped!
    Roca Jack looks great. I'm sure with another storm and some avalanche mitigation work up high it'll be prime. Are you going to heli ski at all?

Its not in the plan but if conditions warrant I will look into it. We are going to be 6 guys, my guess is some will be down and some will balk at the cost. Any idea if Portillo runs a somewhat reasonable program?

Lots of backcountry around Portillo too, up past the aduana and before the tunnel, Cristo Redentor, and south in the Juncal watershed. Better with a vehicle. Roca Jack and Lake Run would normally be open already, and probably will be in a month. In my experience, Portillo only stops selling day tickets when the conditions are so marginal that they want to reserve what there is for the hotel guests, and give forewarning via FB or website.

If the road is closed, happy problem, there is fresh snow and u can go to Arpa, or the 3 Valleys. Cup half full.

I’m planning on skiing and/or riding a few days at La Parva as part of my powder alliance benefit at the end of my SA trip in late July. Have a few questions:

1. Does La Parva have good snowboarding terrain or is it mainly geared towards skiers?

2. Do they have decent rentals for fair prices?

3. Is there a shuttle between el Colorado and La Parva? I noticed some more reasonable accomodation in el Colorado and am trying to avoid renting a car.

Thanks!

Haha.

One redeeming point in that post - La Parva is Powder Alliance. No blackouts even

Quote Originally Posted by consultant22 View Post
    I’m planning on skiing and/or riding a few days at La Parva as part of my powder alliance benefit at the end of my SA trip in late July. Have a few questions:

Thanks!
    1. Does La Parva have good snowboarding terrain or is it mainly geared towards skiers?
    - My son snowboards, and it can be a bit bothersome on the traverses, but there is terrain for everything. If you don't like platters, there are 4 chairlifts to ride, including Fabres with its "freeskiing" zone, where lots of snowboarders go. Only Franciscano (two runs) is restricted to skiers.

2. Do they have decent rentals for fair prices?
    - Not sure how "decent" they would be, but a snowboard rents for US$40 or so.

3. Is there a shuttle between el Colorado and La Parva? I noticed some more reasonable accomodation in el Colorado and am trying to avoid renting a car.
    - No shuttle as such, people hitchhike or pay a Stgo-3 Valleys shuttle to take them in between trips. If you are staying at the top of El Colorado town, you can traverse over to La Parva, it is a 70m drop over 1 km. A bit complicated if there is little snow, but you can ski back from La Parva easy enough (high route from Fabres).

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    I arrive at Portillo on 28 July and haven't skied since early June, so the 30th might be better for the Super C. The fitness is there but I want to make sure the ski legs are, too.

gnarbro, how does your schedule look for 28 July through 4 August? Near as I can tell you work at Portillo, so we can probably cross paths one way or another, but making some turns would be a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    gnarbro, how does your schedule look for 28 July through 4 August? Near as I can tell you work at Portillo, so we can probably cross paths one way or another, but making some turns would be a hoot.
    As of right now, I am scheduled to be patrolling those days. That doesn’t mean I can’t go ski with some fellow gringos though. I’m the tallest one in a patrol uniform speaking the best English and the worst Spanish...I won’t be hard to spot.

Ski Chile 2018

Working hard for you skiandgolfnut...

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	241160

Roca Jack should be open today or tomorrow. I’ve never seen a lift installed in only a few hours...but, I have seen a lot of stuff here I’ve never seen anywhere else. Not sure if the plan is to allow access to traversia or not. Lake Run closed until we get more snow
    Last edited by gnarbro365; 07-11-2018 at 03:52 PM.

doing gods work! anything you guys can do about more snow would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by skiandgolfnut View Post
    doing gods work! anything you guys can do about more snow would be appreciated
    You can all participate in the next Nguillatún, raising your prayers for rain (and snow) to the local totem and Pillan (ancestor spirit), also useful to fatten animals and improve crops.

Name:  pueblo-mapuche-13-728.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  125.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    As of right now, I am scheduled to be patrolling those days. That doesn’t mean I can’t go ski with some fellow gringos though. I’m the tallest one in a patrol uniform speaking the best English and the worst Spanish...I won’t be hard to spot.
    Duly noted, I'll keep an eye out for you!

Name:	E1BFEB87-0A26-4E34-AD56-3FCD0F4DB055.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	241402

Well the direction of the weather has changed, in time to jolt the Brazilians I set up in my pad in LP today. As it probably souped up things with +12C today, plummeting temps and clouds will harden things up. Upper runs will still be soft, but dirty patches are appearing below.

Concurring by two is snowforecast

Name:	58504295-CC72-453B-869B-0C8EF611FF78.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	408.4 KB 
ID:	241403

There is a well distributed base in LP, and anything that falls on it will be cachilupi. Sunset today, with the width of the ski area visible here, from La Aguílas going right through Alpha/Las Vegas to the Fabres watershed.

Name:	D1A8384C-FAB1-4403-93BA-81F4913322C4.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	241405

And Portillo will get something Wed too.

Name:	B7883A53-BB56-4935-97F3-4D1032BB7848.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	241408

Good moment for some weather analysis.

This coming front is a high altitude polar one, which will only affect the Andes themselves, and not the coast or valleys. Expect colder temps, with the freezing level falling to 1,500m by the end, and low winds except perhaps in the northern reaches (Portillo or Arpa). There is apparently great difficulty in predicting where the greatest concentration of snow will fall, and how much. I figure 30cm of fluffy stuff can be expected by late Wednesday. The forecasts have been bouncing around 20-50cm.

Snowforecast generalities show how the front is concentrated in the north of central Chile, and Portillo gets half of La Parva, while Las Leñas gets double Alto del Padre (in spite of their proximity).

Name:  My Snow Forecast com (4).jpg
Views: 596
Size:  137.5 KB

The patchwork of snowfall from their algorithms, with Arpa and Portillo in the far north, the 3 Valleys clustered in the upper middle and Las Leñas in the south -
    Name:  Weather Map and Snow Conditions for Santiago (1).jpg
Views: 593
Size:  118.2 KB

Drilling down, the winds are flowing from northwest, as they tend to do, but the coast and the Argentine pampa are southerlies -

Name:  IMG_1289.PNG
Views: 586
Size:  701.9 KB

YR shows it straddling the divide on Tuesday -

Name:  Kart – Yr.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  56.1 KB

And dumping mainly Tuesday -

Name:  Yr – Long term forecast for Centro de Esqui La Parva  Santiago  Chile  (2).jpg
Views: 588
Size:  99.2 KB

Personally, I am aiming to be on the lifts in LP on thursday morning (got no choice, dentist on Wednesday). Be fun to see how this pans out.

And Chillan continues to act up, and the evidence of recent eruptions can be seen. -

Name:  Complejo Volcánico Nevados de Chillán – SERNAGEOMIN (1).jpg
Views: 564
Size:  33.7 KB

Near surface Richter 4 quakes have been felt, with explosions. Apparently the incandescent column reached 340m during the night. More explosions may occur, and the alert level could be raised to red in the short term.

Ski Chile 2018

We saw insane winds in the morning. Equal to what we saw a few days ago. As the snow began to roll in the winds died down. It seemed warm, as the snow was sticky and the highway remained snow free until 5pm or so.

As Casey mentioned, the forecast has bounced from a measly 10cm a few days ago to 50+ from the Euro this morning. I’m putting my pesos on 20, but at this point I’m just stoked to see white stuff falling from the sky.

Since the viz is bad, here is a little Patrol stoke from a toboggan stashing mission. And yes...I proceeded to rip the shit out of that shady south face many times over.

Name:	IMG_3050.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	241611
    “Yes gringo...we are taking the sled over there”

Name:	IMG_3052.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	241613
    One of the best sled stashes I’ve had a part in.

Name:	IMG_3055.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	241614
    Chitara is a fucking boss.

Name:	IMG_3058.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	241615
    Tasty.

Ski Chile 2018

Somewhere around around 11cm yesterday evening/night. D2 natural avalanche in CaraCara around 8:30am and one of unknown size in primavera shut things down on the Juncalillo side early.

Another 13cm throughout the day shut Plateau down around 3pm. Big avalanches heard throughout the valley all day. Still currently nuking.

Lucky Portillo, I guess. Didm’t start snowing in the 3V until now, just some wind and clouds below, clouds above. Currently foggy with light snow. So send some nukes our way gnarbro.