Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Ski Chile 2018

La Parva is skiing well, all things considered. Cool temps solidified the base, which where groomed, are good packed powder, which deteriorates as the day wears on and the curse of the pebble-peppered pistes raises it’s ugly head. Best get out early.

Snowmaking on Las Flores (needs it)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1496.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	242890

Snow park is in good shape

Name:	IMG_1504.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	611.3 KB 
ID:	242891

And a new groomer surfaced from the gloom.

Name:	IMG_1507.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	242892

Reality beginning to sink in. Forecast looks pretty atrocious between now and the 11th. No snow and worse warming temps. Warm temps, a 15 inch base, and no snow in 3 weeks seem like its going to be pretty darn shitty. Gnarbro any silver linings from Portillo other than we will eat pretty well for a week?

Things are definitely looking dicey for the Central Zone (Portillo to Chillan). As of now, the deficit of rain to date is between 40% and 60%, reflected in the minimal base, and the forecast looks dire. Further south, there is more snow, but deficits are also present, more in the order of 25%. The only ski area that publishes base data is Antillanca and they say:

Name:  Antillanca.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  61.9 KB

The snow forecast as it stands:

Name:  My Snow Forecast com (6).jpg
Views: 761
Size:  133.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by skiandgolfnut View Post
    Reality beginning to sink in. Forecast looks pretty atrocious between now and the 11th. No snow and worse warming temps. Warm temps, a 15 inch base, and no snow in 3 weeks seem like its going to be pretty darn shitty. Gnarbro any silver linings from Portillo other than we will eat pretty well for a week?
    I'm at Portillo now and, yeah, there have been more and more rocks visible every day. I've found some fun patches of decent snow on southern exposures, but it's mostly been groomers and laps on Roca Jack which has somehow stayed chalky and fun.

Gnarbro will have better and more balanced insight, though - I'm just thrilled to be skiing in August.

Booked on the heli for Friday... I haven't heard a bad report from that yet.

If anyone is still interested, this is what the Cerro La Parva bowl looked like today from the top of Las Tortolas chair.

Name:	IMG_1522.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	826.0 KB 
ID:	243077

You can´t see the tracks in the bowl in this photo, but there were at least a dozen nice ones, in most of the visibly skiable areas. The snow is still powdery, alternating with crud. Flat spots and more northerly exposures are sun damaged. A nose for sharks is handy.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I will arrive in Santiago in 3 weeks, staying in Las Condes area and hope the conditions improve. Sounds like LaParva has the best conditions among the resorts close to Santiago? Who do you recommend for renting ski gear and a shuttle service? The Ski Total reviews appear mediocre with poor rental equipment.

Regarding lean cover,
    well Im in the same boat come Saturday...
    but hey,
    lean snow and Sun is always better for a ski trip
    than nonstop storms & nada

always an exception to this rule
    and thats Hokkaido where you want blizzards every day and dont wanna see the sun ...

see ya round for a vino tinto after ... work

Well, the hot tub is pretty sweet!

But idahospud is right, chalky bumps laps on Roca from 10-2 and the day condor from 2-close. Been pretty fun with all the gringos around.

Some forecasts are just hinting and a small shot of snow mon/tues, but I’m very wary because the same system keeps getting pushed back every few days.

Sunshine, bikinis, and burgers at Tio Bobs...I almost feel like I’m back in Tahoe!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would gladly sign up for that...im not greedy. my trip in 2015 was the same, last week of August and I had a blast. I love spring skiing and would prefer it to snow and no visibility every day.

Wouldnt be worried if coming down tomorrow...Just hoping by the 11th and through the 18th it's not significantly worse than it is this week and everything stays open. Last year in early august portillo sent out emails offering refunds and the base was double what it is now. Don't know what I'd do if offered.

Thanks for the updates

I would gladly sign up for that...im not greedy. my trip in 2015 was the same, last week of August and I had a blast. I love spring skiing and would prefer it to snow and no visibility every day.

Wouldnt be worried if coming down tomorrow...Just hoping by the 11th and through the 18th it's not significantly worse than it is this week and everything stays open. Last year in early august portillo sent out emails offering refunds and the base was double what it is now. Don't know what I'd do if offered.

Thanks for the updates
    I understand the concerns. Everyone I have talked to says this year “feels different.” From what I can gather, it has been consistently colder than last year.

It is not common for a polar high pressure system to get stuck on the central zone for so long, steering the fronts south. What will happen after this Monday night special ends, and 20-30cm falls, is probably a minor temp spike and then who knows? I think there is a good chance of a storm of some sort once a week or 10 days through Sept. The ski áreas could scrape by with that, as the base above 3,000m will continue to build for the most part. But it could still just dry up, so finicky is the rain god these days.

My plans are to ski LP Tuesday and Wednesday. Then we are looking at Rio Teno/Alto del Padre for 2-3 days between Aug 15 and 19. Anyone who wants to join in, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Sunshine, bikinis, and burgers at Tio Bobs...I almost feel like I’m back in Tahoe!
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Come on, you know the drill, Pictures or it didn't happen
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Come on, you know the drill, Pictures or it didn't happen
    Not sure anybody on here wants to see my hairy ass in a bikini, but I'll try and deliver for you.

Good to ski with you today, idahospud...unfortunately I only snapped one picture from the day and you look tiny.

Name:	Image1533333901.940886.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	243195

I am assuming that is heli.... looks like plenty of snow to me how much that run? I may need to do that.

I am assuming that is heli.... looks like plenty of snow to me how much that run? I may need to do that.
    Portillo charges by the run. It is on their website, but I believe it is $325 for the first run and $200 for each one after that.

Depending on when you’re here, it may be tough to get a spot. We typically only run three groups/day with 4 clients in each group. Check in with Alfredo as soon as you arrive to see if there is space available.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Well, idahospud, was it worth it? Give us some details!

I'll be at Portillo 8/12-8/17...

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    Well, idahospud, was it worth it? Give us some details!

I'll be at Portillo 8/12-8/17...
    100% worth it. The heli has access to aspects and elevations that you just can't get at the resort, with corresponding snow conditions. Importantly, Gnarbro is a good dude, a solid skier, and definitely knowledgeable about the mountains, as are his guide cohorts. He's also as hairy as he claims to be, so for those who want bikini shots from Tio Bob's, well, good luck.

Gnarbro: great to meet you and ski with you. It'd be rad if our paths crossed during the northern winter and we could take some runs when you're off the clock.

And a few pics, because what's the point otherwise?

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	243212

Name:	IMG_0146-1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	445.7 KB 
ID:	243214

Name:	IMG_0208.jpg 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	243211

That is a very nice cap to my evening, thank you.

Enjoy your backwards flushing bowls of awesome, and thanks for sharing!

@idahospud did you book the heli through the resort? I'm headed South Aug 7-25, mostly around Villarrica/Lanin/Argentina. But the photos look like hanging out in Portillo for a day or two could be pretty sweet.

What is on the horizon ...

Name:  37857EB7-59E3-457B-930E-CF156B2F9E10.jpeg
Views: 479
Size:  229.9 KB

Name:  3B848D0E-1713-4D68-97B6-E07E15980238.jpeg
Views: 498
Size:  232.3 KB

Then clearing

I think you are going to enjoy your hump day.

went there yesterday,skied pretty cool lines in the border with argentina, but for the best stuff you need to wait till a little snow melts or to have a good team to shovel 200 mts of the road to lagunas de teno that are full of snow.

Name:	IMG_6122.jpg 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	243326
    terrain near the road to lagunas de teno

Name:	camino.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	243327
    section of the road covered by snow

Name:	aduana.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	243328
    terrain near the border we ended up skiing

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    It is not common for a polar high pressure system to get stuck on the central zone for so long, steering the fronts south. What will happen after this Monday night special ends, and 20-30cm falls, is probably a minor temp spike and then who knows? I think there is a good chance of a storm of some sort once a week or 10 days through Sept. The ski áreas could scrape by with that, as the base above 3,000m will continue to build for the most part. But it could still just dry up, so finicky is the rain god these days.

My plans are to ski LP Tuesday and Wednesday. Then we are looking at Rio Teno/Alto del Padre for 2-3 days between Aug 15 and 19. Anyone who wants to join in, PM me.

now measuring correctly the options we had, it was less than an extra km of touring to ski the spines of the first picture so we should have skied that instead, if you have an all wheel drive car i would totally recomend the lagunas de teno zone over the border with argentina because it had the best snow by far (its not as affected by the wind)

Ski Chile 2018

Thanks Alvaro for the tips.
    Valle Nevado has a good promo right now, for midweek stays and ski

¡ATENCIÓN, OFERTA IMPERDIBLE!

¡Escápate en la semana desde $ 60.000!

No pierdas la oportunidad y ven a vivir la experiencia de la mejor nieve junto a tu familia y amigos.

Promociones Hoteleras

Hotel Puerta del Sol

$ 95.000.-
    Incluye Media pensión (día de llegada incluye solo cena y día de salida incluye solo desayuno), Ticket de esquí desde el día de llegada hasta el día de salida.

Hotel Tres Puntas

$ 60.000.-
    Incluye Media pensión (día de llegada incluye solo cena y día de salida incluye solo desayuno), Ticket de esquí desde el día de llegada hasta el día de salida.

Condiciones: Precios por persona por noche en base habitación doble. Tarifa válida entre el 12 al 17 de Agosto (máximo check out) y entre 20 al 24 de Agosto (máximo check out) para reservas de mínimo 1 noche. Tarifa IVA incluido. Precio por persona por noche. Incluye: Media pensión (día de llegada incluye solo cena y día de salida incluye solo desayuno), ticket de esquí desde el día de llegada hasta el día de salida haciendo check out antes de las 10 AM. No acumulable con otras promociones. Cupos limitados. Valido solo pasajeros chilenos.

VÁLIDO SOLO RESERVANDO EN LA WEB

Reserva aquí

Departamentos en Valle Nevado

Quédate con un 20% de dcto.

Descuento válido entre el 30 de Julio y 31 de Agosto (máximo check out) para reservas de mínimo 2 noches. Sujeto a disponibilidad, no acumulable con otras promociones. Infórmate en reservas@vallenevado.com

Estas Fiestas Patrias quédate en Valle Nevado

¡APROVECHA!

Hotel Puerta del Sol
    $ 115.000 IVA incluido. Por persona, por noche.

Hotel Tres Puntas
    $ 95.000 IVA incluido

Condiciones: Válido para reservas entre el 14 y el 23 de Septiembre (máximo check out) por mínimo 2 noches. Tarifa IVA incluido. Precios por persona por noche en base doble. Tarifa valida solo reservando a través del motor de reservas. Incluye media pensión (desayuno y cena) y ticket de esquí desde el día de llegada al día de salida, haciendo check out antes de las 10 AM. Solo para pasajeros chilenos. No acumulable con otras promociones. Sujeto a disponibilidad. Promoción válida solo reservando por la Web.

¡Quédate en Valle!

Vive Valle con lo mejor de los Andes

Siempre revisa nuestra sección promociones, donde podrás encontrar increíbles promociones como 50% Valle los martes, ventas especiales, 2x1 Movistar, Promociones Itaú y más. Cada promoción tiene sus especificaciones y fechas detalladas.Para acceder a promociones de recarga de tickets en valleplus.cl o enviando un correo a valleplusonline@vallenevado.com. Las tarjetas Valle Plus se compran a través de valleplus.cl o en boleterías del Centro. Valor por tarjeta $5.000
    Last edited by Casey E; 08-06-2018 at 10:24 PM.