Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: reels

Anyone got any experience with Ross Reels and can recommend for a #6 weight? It will be paired with a Hardy Wraith

My saltwater set-up is a Penn 6500 and a St. Croix 10' MH surf rod. Last night, I was casting a 4oz weight about 200 yards. Great rig. Good fishing, too. Heading down to Islamorada today. Hopefully a few snook and maybe even a tarpon in the works!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

reels

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas89 View Post
    Anyone got any experience with Ross Reels and can recommend for a #6 weight? It will be paired with a Hardy Wraith
    I have a Animas by Ross on the 8 wt that I keep at my Moms in Wisconsin. Very good guality at a good price. I think the Animas is near the bottom of their range, so based on that their more expensive reels must be really nice. I don’t think you can go wrong with any Ross reel. Bottom line, it catches fish. Plus it is made in the USA.

Edit to add photo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1521.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	723.8 KB 
ID:	336882

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Harry; 08-11-2020 at 09:30 AM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Ross reels have a really good rep. I have an older Gunnison (with a 6wt) that is really solid, but I’m not familiar with the current lineup. If I didn’t find any legit negative info after searching on a current model I wouldn’t hesitate to pick one up.

Ross, Orvis, and Scientific Angler have had a rather complex Incestuous relationship.

I have a Ross Cimarron II and a Lamson Waterworks, they were both about the same price but the Ross is a lot better of a reel. The Lamson has a tiny bit of wobble in the spool whereas the Ross is super solid.

I can't speak to their newer reels but I've got an old CLA on my 5wt that I use for probably 80% of my fishing. I've beaten that thing like a rented mule for the past 9 years and it hasn't missed a beat.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I have a couple Ross reels and have always been very happy with them. Their machining is absolutely top notch and they spin incredibly smooth, no initial inertia, etc.

My only warning...if it is going to be a boat rod or you know you are going to beat the crap out of it...lean toward models like the Gunnison rather then the Evolution line. I have bent one or two. The Evolution line is crazy light and balances well are modern light rods.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

One other comment for Lucas....while I do advocate buying a US made reel, and definitely a CO made reel like the Ross, if pricing does become an issue, I recently picked up one of the new 2020 Orvis Helios reels for my 7wt from my local shop. I think it was about $250? After fishing it a couple times with a floating line on it, I am pretty happy with its performance and think it will be a good reel for freshwater. It looks pretty good on my Scott X2S as well:

I also have an Allen Kraken for this rod for my sink line. I have had it 4 or 5 years without any issues...banging around in the boat, etc. For $229, it is a killer reel. I actually bought an extra spool for it to put a floating line on, but I somehow got the wrong size and never noticed. Broke my 6wt and needed to be up and running again same day.

https://www.allenflyfishing.com/kraken-fly-reel-series/
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Baitcasting Reels

I have abu garcia revo toro, I am fan of abu garcia reels as it gives me comfort while fishing and feel like a premium reel. If you're a beginner for fishing so you should be prefer spinning reel over baitcasting reel.

Name:  il_794xN.2807226005_n16b.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  54.3 KB

The wet dream when I was growing up and fishing was with Rebel or Rapala plugs or nightcrawlers.

All I could afford then was a string of Zebco 202s. Then one summer I was given a Mitchell spinning reel and a 2 pc rod. That was a big change.

A few summers later I was able to fish for Bluefish on topwater plugs and really big spinning outfits. That was some fun catching.

Edit to add; Holy shit and I thought fly reels were spendy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-31 Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® Mörrum® ZX Round Baitcast Reels for sale(1).png 
Views:	63 
Size:	652.1 KB 
ID:	355738
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-31 Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® Mörrum® ZX Round Baitcast Reels for sale.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	355737  
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 12-31-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Name:  il_794xN.2807226005_n16b.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  54.3 KB

All I could afford then was a string of Zebco 202s.
    Oh how I wanted a Johnson Century reel as a fishing lad, but was also stuck with a Zebco 202. The 202 was not a great reel and the drag was awful but I caught a lot of fish with them.

I am fan of pflueger brand and using pflueger President spinning reel. I have been fishing a Pflueger President for years and it is one of the best very affordable spinning reels that I have ever fished. Today Pflueger makes a wide range of spinning reels and baitcasting reels which have both developed a reputation for being well manufactured and fairly durable.

i am loving all shimano reels. using the over 30 years now

reels

Are vintage-ish reels worth much these days? I found these in a bunch of stuff that I got from my Dad when he went blind.

Name:	IMG_3980.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	727.4 KB 
ID:	457005

Name:	IMG_3981.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	969.2 KB 
ID:	457796

Name:	IMG_3982.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	902.8 KB 
ID:	457797
    Last edited by Caucasian Asian; 05-01-2023 at 04:07 PM.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Way late to the party here, but I just want to say my dad had an ambassadeur 5000 for a bass and warm water species fishing. They’re great at what they are and what they do, but I can’t imagine they’re worth much.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda