Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: reels

reels

I'm hoping someone here knows saltwater reels.
    I googled them but don't know much about good gear.

Fin Nor LT 60 and LT 40 and Inshore
    Shimano Stradic 5000 F1 and FJ
    Penn 4500 SS

all look to be in good shape. Now I need to research the right pole etc

any feedback would be great
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Tibor or Nautilus. Nothing else is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Both of which come in Red.

better yet, where do I score some sweet superman underoos ? I have a few speedos from Brasil trips and I would totally rock a superman speedo as a goof.
    in other news, I'm looking for a decent salt water rod on a par with those reels. Hopefully I can trade gear for gear and get set up. I'm right next to some sweet bass and blue fishing and need to embrace the fishing jones.
    so much to learn
    thanks again !

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Both of which come in Red.
    those are both fly reels, right ? I'm nowhere near any good stream fishing. Just open ocean, nantucket sound and buzzards bay.
    I've always wanted to get good at catching rainbow trout in vermont.
    Might look into some surfing casting, too.

The new Ross Evolution R Salt seems to be pretty bad ass.

To willywhit, I know nothing about chucking bait, but those reels all look like pieces of shit.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    better yet, where do I score some sweet superman underoos ? I have a few speedos from Brasil trips and I would totally rock a superman speedo as a goof.
    in other news, I'm looking for a decent salt water rod on a par with those reels. Hopefully I can trade gear for gear and get set up. I'm right next to some sweet bass and blue fishing and need to embrace the fishing jones.
    so much to learn
    thanks again !
    Amazon, duh.

For poles, the Sage X is a decent entry level rod. I fished an 11wt Hardy recently that was ok. Anything from Browning is good.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    The new Ross Evolution R Salt seems to be pretty bad ass.

To willywhit, I know nothing about chucking bait, but those reels all look like pieces of shit.
    from what I saw when I googled them, they range from $80 to $120 each. I don't need a $400 reel for my level of experience. Maybe if I end up really getting into it.
    I also don't wanna waste my time with some Walmart special, either. I've never been super into fishing but I've done some deep water charters and once in Oahu we went mahi fishing way offshore and that was a blast.
    I'm still hitting my old Titleist DTR Irons from the 90's when I was into golf, they still hold up and I'm a mediocre golfer.

hardly a pos

van staal or go home...

just kidding, the stradic I have is older and is alright. also have a penn that I would consider about the same quality but forget what model it is. in all seriousness the van staals are sick reels. not necessary if you're chunking though.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    van staal or go home...

just kidding, the stradic I have is older and is alright. also have a penn that I would consider about the same quality but forget what model it is. in all seriousness the van staals are sick reels. not necessary if you're chunking though.
    those are frickin schweet but I don't a ferrari reel just yet. I think an older mustang would suffice. Those carbon rods are pretty sick
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That Stradic will be nice-
    a 5000 on a nice St Croix 17-40 8' rod would work great for stripers.

I have a Daiwa Saltist 5000 on that same rod, and it is a nice setup for Tarpon.

Look at the Daiwa stuff too- it is pretty nice

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    That Stradic will be nice-
    a 5000 on a nice St Croix 17-40 8' rod would work great for stripers.

I have a Daiwa Saltist 5000 on that same rod, and it is a nice setup for Tarpon.

Look at the Daiwa stuff too- it is pretty nice
    Thanks. I'm clueless on rods, so that's a good start.

noob question: if I'm right handed , do I want the pole in my dominant hand on the rod and crank on the left or vise versa ? Seems like if varies for what type of fishing you're doing. I was always a crank with my right hand but now I'm confused. Thanks

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/w...nd-for-reeling

I write left handed, fly cast lefty and reel with right hand. spin cast righty and reel with left hand. just a mess

The standard cheap chunking bait rod round Here (MA) is the Ugly Stik- maybe start with that? Cheap and durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    The standard cheap chunking bait rod round Here (MA) is the Ugly Stik- maybe start with that? Cheap and durable.
    thanks. that's what I was looking for. Where in MA ? I'm on the Cape, Newton sometimes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespea...&wl13=&veh=sem

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    thanks. that's what I was looking for. Where in MA ? I'm on the Cape, Newton sometimes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespea...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Cape Ann!!

Cape Ann!!
    nice. I got scuba certified by cape ann divers, at UMass and spent tons of time at rocky neck, up and down the annisquam back in the day. Greasy Pole , all that.

Cape Ann!!
    I am back stateside in a month. If you want to try for some stripers in Salem sound shoot me a message. I am out most of the time midweek and often wading or SUPing sight fishing stripers off the boat, 2 smalls usually in tow but they paddle around in their kayaks when I am fishing Maybe another shot at a 2 boat Mini if we can hook it up with Devo. There is all sorts of trouble we can get into with a pair of CC's leaving from Salem.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    I am back stateside in a month. If you want to try for some stripers in Salem sound shoot me a message. I am out most of the time midweek and often wading or SUPing sight fishing stripers off the boat, 2 smalls usually in tow but they paddle around in their kayaks when I am fishing Maybe another shot at a 2 boat Mini if we can hook it up with Devo. There is all sorts of trouble we can get into with a pair of CC's leaving from Salem.
    Righteous. Sounds great! I can most likely return the favor on the SS Jupiter, if she returns to starting reliably

sounds like a plan. Salem rocks. My buddy Chris owns Notch. Lobster Shanty , Bit Bar. Big fan of witch town. I met some cool people on a booze cruise with tigerman whoa last summer and they have a sick house boat in salem harbor. an old windsurfing buddy has a macgregor sailboat in beverly next to the commuter train bridge. we gotta party, north shore style

these guys are my buds. we partied til 4 am on boats that night. salem is the shit

you guys know this place ? classic
    http://www.anchorpubbeverly.com/
    Last edited by willywhit; 05-23-2018 at 09:54 PM.

The anchor is owned by my buddy's dad, he runs it now that Joe is more or less retired. For about 10 years my buddies and I we on the water every night and working on it most days when we were not shipping. The floating house in the back near Dions YY is his. There have been many owners from our crew through the years. The "floating house" has has been rebuilt a few times and has a some major history.... started as storage for the Rockmore, police, harbormaster, strippers, jacuzzi, lots of blood post 45kts no slowdown coming back from the Rhumb Line at 0200.... it goes on and on. I got engaged on it too.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Ah man. Party on

Ah man. Party on
    FKNA

Try to check out barrettrods. They make some great rods