Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Okay, then has anyone ever gotten sunburned through regular capeline/synthetic base layers. Or any clothing?

I guess what I'm saying is that the idea of "SPF" clothing has always mystified me.
    Capilene in the lighter weights has always advertised spf/upf and is great for sun protection in the alpine.

Personally, I cannot gripe enough about the newest materials because the previous gen midweight/2 was perfect. The three I own honestly get used 300+ days a year while the newer stuff often feels too light or too heavy. Even more ridiculous, what pata advertises as daily wear comes in regular cut which means baggy for anyone with an athletic build and their lightweight is all dark colors. It's a shame, because finding a true slim fitting XS is difficult. But I digress..

Hockey practice jersey. Loose fit and the mesh flows a lot of air. You'll probably still need a bit of sunscreen on your shoulders, but it's far cooler than any other option.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Check out fishing clothing company. Simms, Columbia PFG, etc.
    This is kind of the direction I'm leaning, at least as far as style of shirts. I'm thinking more button-up than hoody. I already have a douchey hat to wear, just need some neck and arm protection.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    This is kind of the direction I'm leaning, at least as far as style of shirts. I'm thinking more button-up than hoody. I already have a douchey hat to wear, just need some neck and arm protection.
    I have a few of the Simms sun shirts and I like them well enough. They're pretty lightweight and do the job. I've got the past iterations of the Big Sky Long Sleeve Shirt and the Solarflex Hoody.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post

Personally, I cannot gripe enough about the newest materials because the previous gen midweight/2 was perfect. ....
    You're not alone. I bought another mid/2 last year as I realized the striped 2 I had from 5 or 6 years ago was getting worn at least once a week. The new grid may test better but I don't like it near as much.

I have a couple of these for when we go to the beach, or are out on the boat all day.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/s...eve-rashguard/

Some styles look more like a t-shirt than others, but they are all pretty good and can hold up to water.

Quote Originally Posted by SawtoothDude View Post
    I'm currently sporting sunburnt shoulders after a 12hr mountain bike ride in a poly Fox jersey. Surprised me too, since it's not even slightly see through.
    Heat rash from pack straps?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Higher SPF clothing always has a tighter weave to it. There are a number of golf shirts out there, the fishing shirts mentioned (try you Cosco or Sams Club), and swimming shirts (synthetic under armour type materials that tend to be the lightest weight. I've picked up a few "Teal Cove" brand shirts that I wear for things like grass cutting. TJMaxx or Marshalls and looks like the stuff is sold on Amazon too (looks like the synthetic shirts are only SPF 20 rated). Another possible is Wrangler Performance or Active line at Target or Walmart maybe considered- SPF 30 rating...

I have a couple shirts like the Gucci Tropic Comfort and I love them. I wear mine at work (outside framing houses) all summer and they hold up well. They also kick ass for boating and hiking high up. http://www.patagonia.com/product/men...-ii/52123.html

they do get a wee bit stinky after a couple days but a quick detergent bath in a sink and they are fine.

I finally found this 50 spf brimmed charter hat that doesn't flop in the wind, is lightweight, breathable, water resistant and packable. By locking the cord against the back of your skull it stays on even while spring skiing and touring.

Edit: lots of long sleeve shirts offer various venting (front, back & pits), along with a raised collar for the back of the neck.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 05-25-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I have the Patagonia Tropic Comfort Hoody and 1/4 Zip. The hoody is great because it is a somewhat unique piece in the Patagonia line, and I would call it a deal at MSRP of $59. The green color awesome. I mostly use it for beach days or really anytime outside in the sun -- I'm currently living in NZ and the UV index here is ridiculous. I have been running in the 1/4 zip and it's OK, but my old Cap2 LS dries much much faster (the fit is obviously different b/w the 2 pieces as well, but that is not unexpected). The Polygiene on the Tropic Comforts works WONDERS.

Final Thoughts:
    Tropic Comfort Hoody -- totally purchase again w/o hesitation, super versatile and well executed.
    Tropic Comfort 1/4 Zip -- I think I would rather just have a MEC T1 or Patagonia Cap Lightweight long sleeve base layer (anything that is lightweight poly with Polygiene treatment).

How’s the fit of the Tropic Comfort Hoody? Long arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    How’s the fit of the Tropic Comfort Hoody? Long arms?
    I wear 34/35 shirts and have no problem with arm length in the M. Thumb holes fit comfortably.

Same here. The M fits great on me at 6' 175

Mostly the older Tropic Hoodies and Simms fishing shirts here. Filson used to make a nice one but Filson is stupid expensive anymore. Keep checking Sierra Trading Post for those. If you wear a large, PM me your address. I've got some random sun shirts from different companies I would send you that I ended up buying or being gifted that I'd send you. Not that they're bad, I either didn't like the look or fit but they might work for you.

My #1 advice: If carrying a 20+ lb. pack, avoid knit and get a woven non-stretchy sun shirt. Knit fabric provides a slide layer at the small of your back, requiring a tighter waist belt to stabilize pack, and it'll never be as stable as with a woven shirt. In other words, woven fabric = more stable pack. Lightweight woven shirt also dries out much faster.

I usually get Columbia or Ex Officio sun shirts w/roll-up sleeves on sale. I get 'em on sale because I typically go through 2 shirts each summer (and plan to resume such after I get a new knee). I DIY treat them with permethrin for bugs. I use 10% or 36.8% ag permethrin and cut it with water to 1-1/2%, soak or spray away from cats cuz permethrin in liquid form is toxic to cats.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I DIY treat them with permethrin for bugs. I use 10% or 36.8% ag permethrin and cut it with water to 1-1/2%, soak or spray away from cats cuz permethrin in liquid form is toxic to cats.
    Seems like a reason to treat near cats. There's a new neighborhood cat taking monster dumps in my front yard. I'm not at pellet gun stage yet but my wrist rocket and frozen peas might be coming out soon.

ha ha. A .22LR round would be less painful for the cat. Permethrin gets into their nervous system, slow painful death.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    I don't golf, but I've had good experiences with Under Armor's golf line for everything from fishing to weddings. The stuff looks nice, but feels like you're wearing gym clothes.

no longer available, but I can't delete the pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Flyoverland Captive; 06-14-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Check out fishing clothing company. Simms, Columbia PFG, etc.
    This is what I was going to suggestion. I'm spending the summer in India with lots of outdoor time. I wear a lot of fishing shirts. I have mostly Columbia and the Cabela's store brand, which I like a great deal, though might not be quite as good if the temp climbs really high (I'm actually wearing one of the Cabela's shirts now).