Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I dunno what your experience is with raising kids, MTT, so I don't mean this as a criticism. But my experience with them had been that their attention spans are remarkably short. If, as parents, we're going to combat the relentless pull of screen time them we need to avail ourselves of any resources that we can get our hands on that make being outside doing active things as compelling for them as playing on the screen du jour.

Again, not an indictment of your parenting, just my irrelevant little way of justifying the ever expanding collection of outdoor toys that are making it increasingly difficult to park our cars in our garage.
    completely agree. my mom would rather see us outside in the driveway trying break our necks on a skateboard ramp than holed up in the playroom in the basement playing video games on a sunny day. Sure, we had sega and atari consoles but weren't allowed to play until homework was done and checked.

my dad made it very clear that getting hurt on the dirt bikes was a great reason for my mom to shut down our little moto town in the back yard. In other words, exercise responsibility or suffer the consequences. The worst punishment was getting your dirt bike privileges taken away for a week or two.
    Most parents wouldn't even consider letting their fragile children have those nasty loud dirt bikes.
    I don't think many kids are held accountable like that these days.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I dunno what your experience is with raising kids, MTT, so I don't mean this as a criticism. But my experience with them had been that their attention spans are remarkably short. If, as parents, we're going to combat the relentless pull of screen time them we need to avail ourselves of any resources that we can get our hands on that make being outside doing active things as compelling for them as playing on the screen du jour.

Again, not an indictment of your parenting, just my irrelevant little way of justifying the ever expanding collection of outdoor toys that are making it increasingly difficult to park our cars in our garage.
    Yeah, this is my philosophy as well. I’m happy to throw down a little cash if it keeps him loving being active outside. I’m sure some view him as spoiled when they see the collection of skis, bikes, sports equipment and whatnot, but so far he owns no electronic brain suckers so I’ll take the trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Yeah, this is my philosophy as well. I’m happy to throw down a little cash if it keeps him loving being active outside. I’m sure some view him as spoiled when they see the collection of skis, bikes, sports equipment and whatnot, but so far he owns no electronic brain suckers so I’ll take the trade off.
    it makes me wince to watch my friend's kids playing call of duty or whatever is the hot game now for hours and hours. "we're going out on the boat. you guys wanna come ?"
    Nah, we're good.
    when I was a kid, if I got asked to go out on ANY boat, I'd be scrambling to get my PFD.
    my brother and I LIVED to moto and skate, before girls and weed, anyway.

Make that kid earn a dirt bike. Then teach him how to take care of it.
    Same with guns. We had to PROVE to our dad that we were worthy of getting to shoot a .22
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.