Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School me on dirt bikes

For the last year or so my 6 year old has been harassing me do get him a dirt bike, and a neighbor kid just busted out his little Honda 50cc and has been cruising the hood today. So the sad eyes are on full display. Some of my best memories as a kid were driving our 4-wheelers, so I will probably break down and find a class for the boy and get him a bike. Which means of course, I probably should get one too. Problem is, I know jack shit about dirt bikes. Spent my youth on 4-wheelers but probably have spent a grand total of 10 hours on a motorcycle.

There's a track a few minutes from home, but I would probably spend 80% of the time doing trail riding. A good portion on that with the kid, so I really don't need anything too big. I'm thinking maybe something like a used CRF 230 or a RR-R230. A dual sport seems like it may be a good idea as well, but how much performance do you give up?

Daniel Ortega eats here.

T-dubs!

Fun lil motobike to learn on, qualifies as dual sport (55mph max though) , and they hold their resale value surprisingly well, in case you want to move up in size eventually. Other good options are Yamaha xt, Suzuki drz. Kawasaki klx, All these bikes are older models, but still popular

The DR/drz models have electric start going back to early 90's if your looking used

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Just get the red one.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    old xr400

done!
    Name:  20180520_201325.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  110.3 KB
    Word!

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

CRF230s are part of the XR lineage which means durable and easy to ride. The electric start is nice.

I got a CRF 230L a few years ago mostly for self-shuttling mountain bike rides and exploring forest roads. It's been great for that. I wanted street legal and low seat height. The downside of low seat height is having only 6" rear travel, so it bottoms out easily on dirt. And it's uncomfortable and cramped to stand up on the pegs which makes it easy to get bucked off line or sometimes right off the bike when the trail gets rocky or steep. The bike is all stock - better tires or getting the suspension tuned would probably help, but in the end I decided to get a second bike that is more capable off road. I'm going to keep the 230L for now. It is great for riding around town, to work or for longer pavement rides. Lane splitting keeps me sane when Socal traffic sucks. It also gets 70mpg and has a bulletproof engine. It isn't great on highways though. I can cruise 65-70 on the freeway but it suffers on longer/steep grades you find on secondary highways, or into headwinds. Gets thrown around a lot in crosswinds too.

Most of the smaller dual sports have similar performance to my 230L - examples being TW200, Yamaha XT225 or 250, Suzuki DR200, CRF 250L. A 250 would add some seat height and have better performance from added suspension travel and more power, as would going to 350 or 400. I'd definitely get something that is street legal - much more versatile. A lot of dirt bikes can be made street legal - how hard that is depends on what state you live in. You'll sacrifice some performance by going with a smaller dual sport, but those might be better for putt-putting around with the kid. Buy used, and they will hold their value well if taken care of. Larger dual sports like Suzuki DRZ400 and dual sport KTMs should be highly capable. They will just be heavier due to the emissions equipment required to make them street legal. Dirt bikes made street legal after the fact don't have that equipment so they have good performance and are lighter. Just be aware some dirt bikes especially newer ones and motocross bikes can require more ongoing maintenance than older bikes, so do your research.

The second bike I got is a Honda XR400. It's old enough to be grandfathered from CA emissions standards so it is plated. Bulletproof engine with tons of power and great suspension. Infinitely better off road than the 230L. Also has electric start installed which I need since it's a bit tall for me.

Tons of info out there on forums and youtube.

I used to call em' Dirt Bikes.
    Now I call em' Hurt Bikes...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

School me on dirt bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I have a XT225, easy to ride, legal to ride on USFS roads, 65 mpg or more, lots of fun to putter around on roads with, air cooled 4 stroke with almost no maintenance needed since I’ve owned it
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    old xr400

done!
    There’s actually a 1997 for sale nearby that’s street legal. $3k seems a little high though for a 20 year old bike.

Picked up a pair of Yamaha TTRs for my daughter and me a couple years back. Daughters was a used 2009 125 and I paid around $1300. Mine was a new 2014 230 bought in January 2015. Paid $3200.

We mostly just use them for trail riding around the local forest service roads with my brother and his kid.

Thought about putting my daughter on the 230 and moving myself up to something a little bigger.

6 year old nephew loves his Honda 50. We head out to the desert a few times in the spring before the mountain roads open up.

Name:  IMG_0960.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  186.5 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4003.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	236537
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

I grew up with dirt bikes.

6 is too young, especially if your not into bikes.

Just say no! If he is still hung up on bikes when he is in 3rd grade? Lots of options.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Hodaka Combat Wombat -- just because it's the best dirt bike name ever.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I remember that bike - laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Road Toad, a close second
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

School me on dirt bikes

I saw this one at coastal farm/ranch yesterday

Name:  IMG_1373.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  103.3 KB

I believe it is the same steel frame as the laser cut elk & deer silhouettes

jgb@etree Guest
    Get the kid a 50cc!!!

I bought a Yamaha TTR50 for my son a couple of summers ago and he absolutely loved riding. Bought him a KTM 65 this spring as he needed a bigger/faster bike.

I probably get more enjoyment from watching my son riding, than actually riding myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I grew up with dirt bikes.

6 is too young, especially if your not into bikes.

Just say no! If he is still hung up on bikes when he is in 3rd grade? Lots of options.
    agree. My dad made me save up $250 and he matched me the the other half. That's a lot of lawns mowed at $5 a pop. Point is, make the kid earn it and appreciate it. The single mom kid that got a DT100 for christmas thrashed his bike and eventually it didn't run anymore. Ha ha . my bike always ran and was always maintained.

Not exactly what you were looking for but we got one of those razor electric motor bikes for our (at the time 5yo) and he went nuts for it. It's plenty fast for running around the cul de sac and a charge lasts long enough that he can ride off and on all day on a Saturday. Eventually he'll want to move up into a real dirt bike but this is a great, inexpensive stepping stone.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Not exactly what you were looking for but we got one of those razor electric motor bikes for our (at the time 5yo) and he went nuts for it. It's plenty fast for running around the cul de sac and a charge lasts long enough that he can ride off and on all day on a Saturday. Eventually he'll want to move up into a real dirt bike but this is a great, inexpensive stepping stone.
    I was looking at the posts danthman has posted on his kid doing MTB/

I bet Dans kid fantasizes about mini bikes / dirt bikes. but he does MTB and probably makes brap brap noises as he hit the jumps.

Don't get himinto a bike so young. - I had a Bull Taco 250 when I was 14, but I fucking earned it!!
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I was looking at the posts danthman has posted on his kid doing MTB/

I bet Dans kid fantasizes about mini bikes / dirt bikes. but he does MTB and probably makes brap brap noises as he hit the jumps.

Don't get himinto a bike so young. - I had a Bull Taco 250 when I was 14, but I fucking earned it!!
    he said BULL Taco

the Frijole looks so silly, it'd make a sweet pit bike http://tacominibikes.com/

I dunno what your experience is with raising kids, MTT, so I don't mean this as a criticism. But my experience with them had been that their attention spans are remarkably short. If, as parents, we're going to combat the relentless pull of screen time them we need to avail ourselves of any resources that we can get our hands on that make being outside doing active things as compelling for them as playing on the screen du jour.

Again, not an indictment of your parenting, just my irrelevant little way of justifying the ever expanding collection of outdoor toys that are making it increasingly difficult to park our cars in our garage.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Holy fuck that brings back memories. My ridding buddy had that exact bike! I was on a Yami YZ125C, 1976, first monoshock on a Yamaha. That Hodaka used twice as much gas as my Yamaha.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    Road Toad, a close second
    Dirt Squirt
    Super Rat