Anybody have Mercury Wheels? Question about freehub

Anybody have experience with Mercury Wheels? Picked up set from Steap and Cheap and noticing that I can pull the freehub away from the rim. Is this normal? If I give the freehub a spin and I'm not pressing against it, the pawls don't catch. If I press the freehub into the rim, then the pawls catch. Just wondering if this is faulty or if this is by design.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Bumping old thread as it's the closest relevant one.

Anyone have experience with this company's wheels? There are some good prices on these online, but can't find out much about their in house "Axis" brand hubs. MTBR reviews look OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Have generally heard that Mercury’s road wheels are solid; mountain bike wheels not so much.

I have a set of the road wheels and haven’t had any ish. No personal experience with the mountain wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Join WAFTA, promoting downhill and freeride trails in the Wasatch. www.waftautah.com

Thanks. Am looking around online and considering whether to piece together a build on a Ripmo AF, or just order the complete SLX kit. So, possibly wheel shopping...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have asked 4 or 5 guys at races with them and they were all positive. My questions were driven based on price point, and local manufacture.

I had a set of the aluminum wheels. I always thought the hubs were just Novatec. The rims were terrible. The rear was ruined within a few rides. I rebuilt the wheel with a DT rim and used it for a season. The hubs never gave me any issues.

I worked for a Mercury dealer for years, I've had a set of their carbon hoops I laced to some Hopes, currently have a set of carbon wheels for my gravel bike, and have ridden a few aluminum wheels. The answer to all the questions, is, they are fine. I would not hesitate to ride any of the carbon disc wheels on the road unless you're really picky about the hubs. In general the hubs are mediocre, but what do you expect for the price? I would personally steer clear of the aluminum mtb wheels, especially if you weigh more than 150 or ride aggressively.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I do have a bike with the nova tech hub(diamond back). After reading all of online feedback, And experiencing some loosening, I lock tight them after every rebuild. Since doing that, they have proven more reliable than some XT’s on other bikes. That said, I wouldn’t buy them if they weren’t part of the build the bike came with. It’s actually that bike that prompted my questions. I’m convinced they will fail at some point and as a kid is it’s primary driver, I’m constantly thinking about how I can shave a bit more efficiency out of it for him.