Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Nasty Pussy...cat

https://apnews.com/386a64e204fb41f59d9369a21f637a8a

Who knew SkiCougar was such a violent mofo!

Seriously though, Vibes to those affected and their families. Hopefully not a member of the community.

++ vibes.

Yea, that sucks. We were riding today, on the EC, and talked briefly about how it would suck to ride where griz, brown bears reside. Never thought about getting offed by a cat.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yea, just read that. weird how life goes full circle.

I remember my grandpa telling me getting attacked by a cougar was a real thing back in the 30's They were shot on sight. Then there were not many cougars.

We have cougar living in Verdi.
    I will not be surprised when one of them takes out a kid at the local elementary school
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    fuck, bunch of PNW mags live and ride on that trail.

survivor still to shook to talk after having
    a cougar’s mouth around his entire head.
    I would be interested to hear more facts. size of the men killed, size of the cougar, where they were ect.

Generally cougar are not supposed to attack things that are bigger than they are. Like large men. they are more likely to go after small women and kids. Or DEER! that are plentiful.

Two men attacked seems to be an outlier, but more inline with 100 years ago.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I've spent thousands of hours in the woods and only seen a cat in real life once, for about 15 seconds, but it appeared to be pushing 200lbs. Easily lots bigger than the largest dogs I've petted.

Nasty Pussy...cat

There was a pretty brutal attack in Orange County in early 2000s. Killed a guy and then attacked a woman and severely mauled her face before getting chased off.

In general, pretty rare though. Except on 60s era tv. As common as quicksand.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Yea, just read that. weird how life goes full circle.

I remember my grandpa telling me getting attacked by a cougar was a real thing back in the 30's They were shot on sight. Then there were not many cougars.

We have cougar living in Verdi.
    I will not be surprised when one of them takes out a kid at the local elementary school
    Umm, cougar attacks are pretty rare... and fatal attacks even rarer.

Super tragic, but let's not fear monger, mmmkay?

Lots of people have seen cats on Galbraith.

Gladmaster?

One tough woman:

Indian woman, armed only with farm tool, fights off leopard

The fight is said to have lasted a half-hour and pitted a leopard against a woman armed only with a farm tool in an isolated field in India.

Kalama Devi, at 54 years old, won.

Devi, a widow and mother of one, has been telling her story from a hospital bed in Srinagar, in Uttarakhand state, where she's being treated for fractures, swelling, scratches and cuts to her skull that have required 50 stitches.

"I held the leopard with my hands, it then bit my hand and then left it. ... Both my hands are in immense pain and I am not able to lift them up," she said.

According to the doctor who's treating her, the leopard pounced about 10 a.m. Sunday as Devi, who had been cutting grass with a sickle, walked through a field in the village of Koti Badma, in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand.

It fractured her left hand first, so with her right hand clutching the sickle she repeatedly hit the animal -- for about 30 minutes.

Exhausted and bleeding

She said she kept pounding the leopard until she ran out of energy, then, exhausted and bleeding, limped one kilometer to a nearby village to seek help, Dr. Abdul Rahul at the HNB Base Hospital in Srinagar told CNN.

Villagers found the leopard dead when they went to the scene of the reported attack, the doctor said.

It's not the first leopard attack in the area, Rahul said, though he added it was more common to see injuries as the result of attacks by bears.

Another woman was recently killed by a young male cat, which was shot dead by hunters, according to Digvijay Khati, chief wildlife warden in Uttarakhand.

"These are alarming incidents because usually leopards attack and kill dogs, goats or young children -- not adults," Khati told CNN.

He said the big cats' natural habitat is shrinking, and their natural prey are becoming scarce.

However, Khatis said, "We cannot say that the increase of human population in the areas is responsible, because attacks have even occurred where human population is less, and people are now moving out to the plains in search of work," he said.

Geez she beat it to death! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Geez she beat it to death! ^^
    Yeah.... one tough 54yo and you know she probably was a slight woman too. Average leopard weighs 60-70 lbs.

List of fatal cougar attacks in North America (and it's already been updated!)

We have been getting them on the game cams here in the farm outside Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    We have been getting them on the game cams here in the farm outside Eugene
    They travel the river on the northern edge of my property all the time. They will leave scratch marks on trees and occasionally I'll find a half eaten covered carcass. Couple years back we had one that was taking livestock - cattle & horses but for the most part they stick to deer.

We lost 50 head of sheep to lions a couple years ago. Guy across the road lost several calves. Numerous people lost pets...

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I've spent thousands of hours in the woods and only seen a cat in real life once, for about 15 seconds, but it appeared to be pushing 200lbs. Easily lots bigger than the largest dogs I've petted.
    I bet you've been seen way more than once. And yeah, they are pretty large.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

That's location is about 10 miles from me as the crow flies. A biker had an encounter about 1 mile away a few years back on the trail behind the house and a pair of the cats lolled all summer my next door neighbors shed. They couldn't go out the side door. A cougar took a dog off of a porch about a mile up the road. A lot of "Have you seen our cat Fluffy" signs go up in the summer. Fluffy is usually a light color. Those bikers were hunted down by that cat. Maybe I should get a gun?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Nasty Pussy...cat

Sheesh, vibes.

I remember this old ass article from a mtb mag I don’t remember which one but it was maybe 1998 or so.

Guy says he had his FS DH rig at the time and saw one of these mt. Lion, nittany lion, cougar, catamount whatchacallet deals stalking him.

I’ll quote it as best as I can remember

“I rode fast, faster than I have ever ridden before, only to see the cat leisurely and playfully bounding along next to me”

Rare, sure but fucking scary. Vibes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

they tore a bunch of my parents' goats to shreds a while back. fortunately, my dad found them and not my mom. it was pretty staggering i guess, even for a former hunter.

maybe you should have a gun in the woods
    I dunno if it would help much, cougars are sneaky

Mother Nature is a mother fucker.

maybe you should have a gun in the woods
    Naw, I live in the woods, ride a red Schwinn with a bell and I don't run fast enough to look like prey.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    That's location is about 10 miles from me as the crow flies. A biker had an encounter about 1 mile away a few years back on the trail behind the house and a pair of the cats lolled all summer my next door neighbors shed. They couldn't go out the side door. A cougar took a dog off of a porch about a mile up the road. A lot of "Have you seen our cat Fluffy" signs go up in the summer. Fluffy is usually a light color. Those bikers were hunted down by that cat. Maybe I should get a gun?
    I doubt you'd get a chance to use the gun-the cat would be on you before you knew it was there. A dog might be useful--it would smell it and maybe hear it first. A big dog. (or are you kidding?)

Edit--read your last post. Still good advice for he who I will not name. And I don't think a tourniquet would help either.

Before I moved to CO (from AZ), I was obsessed with climbing Mt Evans. On one biz trip, I would hang out at the Starbux in Idaho Springs, then ride up starting around 2pm during the week. Somehow I got my phone out in time to capture this guy crossing the road. As he neared the right edge of the road, he saw me and launched into the trees...Got back to my hotel after reaching the summit and an old timer in the bar told me the story of a high school runner that was eaten back in the early 80's...fairly rare for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt lion.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	389.7 KB 
ID:	236432

Whoa. This is nuts. Were these guys stalked? It seems odd that two people were attacked.

That’s a big cat cycology1.