Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Yup. Those are not lynx tracks. What's the width of those skis?
    60's. There is a 100mm powder basket print at the end of the ski track on the right.

Here are a couple shots from 4 years ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	236757

Name:	Bobcat, Lynx or Mountain Lion? They're the size of a powder ski pole basket (3 to 3 1-2")..jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	404.2 KB 
ID:	236758
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Neighbor found deer carcass 20 meters from my front door a few weeks ago. They said it was most likely a cougar kill based on what was left (I did not see it firsthand). There are so many deer around town, but there is a "family" that consistently hangs out in and around our yards/property. Just before the carcass was found, I noticed one of the yearlings was limping with what looked like a broken back leg - perhaps the result of being hit by a car. Those deer didn't show back up for about a week, but when they did it was without the yearling with the bum wing. Neighbor did say the carcass was of a smaller deer, so maybe that was the one that got eaten. We're a little freaked out about the whole thing, and then a week ago the same neighbor wakes up in the early AM to a small black bear eating birdseed in his open garage - showed me pictures. Like a zoo around here.

I read "Beast in the Garden" about a decade ago and have been hyper-aware in the woods ever since. I ride with a bear bell when out solo, but I don't know if it'll make any difference...

Well they'll be able to tell it's your body because it has a bell.

That's true. And documented on the interweb.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post

I read "Beast in the Garden" about a decade ago and have been hyper-aware in the woods ever since. I ride with a bear bell when out solo, but I don't know if it'll make any difference...
    I believe this to be true.
    40 years ago near Deposit NY an experienced deer hunter surprised a big black bear. He empty his 30-30 and after he was able to get back down the mountain all soiled up and about an hour of incoherent jibberish he told us what happened.
    We went up and found the spot he was posting at and the bear dropped less than a yard from him. Fuck it was usually big. Small wonder he got all discombobulated
    That put the fear of such in me that making noise is a must IMO.
    Black Bears have a surprise trigger that usually means an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well they'll be able to tell it's your body because it has a bell.
    Bells sound like wind chimes. People hang windchimes on their porches. People store garbage and pet food on their porches. Bells sound like dinner.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post

hey is that a 30# fox?

for certain, feel for the family. positive vibes

people need to spend more time outside.
    Whoah, look at that, let's follow it and see where it's going.

Went for a pretty long solo ride yesterday and have to admit I was a bit more aware, especially when that deer ran by.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    I ride with a bear bell when out solo, but I don't know if it'll make any difference...
    You should carry pepper spray too, and more importantly, be able to distinguish between black bear scat and grizzly scat. Black bear scat has bits of twigs and berries in it. Grizzly scat has bits of bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    I believe this to be true.
    40 years ago near Deposit NY an experienced deer hunter surprised a big black bear. He empty his 30-30 and after he was able to get back down the mountain all soiled up and about an hour of incoherent jibberish he told us what happened.
    We went up and found the spot he was posting at and the bear dropped less than a yard from him. Fuck it was usually big. Small wonder he got all discombobulated
    That put the fear of such in me that making noise is a must IMO.
    Black Bears have a surprise trigger that usually means an attack.
    Black bears are actually super timid. Not that you want to try to surprise them, but they run when surprised. They are trash can nuisances along with lots of other critters, though.

Wild critters will almost always follow the path of least resistance in a stressful situation. Given due consideration and options, most non-predatory encounters will result in an animal leaving a human alone as quickly as possible. There will always be, however, exceptions. But in the vast majority of encounters (most encounters you are likely not even aware of), humans emerge physically unscathed. I’ll take a bear or cougar encounter over negotiating the WROD at a major resort on a long weekend any day.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Black bears are actually super timid. Not that you want to try to surprise them, but they run when surprised. They are trash can nuisances along with lots of other critters, though.
    They run if they wan't to and don't when they don't. You have bears in your front yard too? Or just access to Google?

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	236812
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Bears here in Breck/Peak 7. Was up working late, heard the 'bear proof' trash bin get knocked over (didnt work). The tan thing on the ground is a 9" costco wheat tortilla. Not a great picture unfortunately...

After this, I stopped calling the Breck area black bears small...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016 Bear.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	236813

fortunately, I havent seen sign of mtn lions up here / on peaks trail. I see moose/elk alot, maybe too big for the cats to stay up this far?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Wild critters will almost always follow the path of least resistance in a stressful situation. Given due consideration and options, most non-predatory encounters will result in an animal leaving a human alone as quickly as possible. There will always be, however, exceptions. But in the vast majority of encounters (most encounters you are likely not even aware of), humans emerge physically unscathed. I’ll take a bear or cougar encounter over negotiating the WROD at a major resort on a long weekend any day.
    Bingo.

Size of prey doesn’t usually deter a big cat but escape terrain and numbers of competing predators do. What’s the local wolf population like? Cats and canines don’t mix well.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Whoah, look at that, let's follow it and see where it's going.

Went for a pretty long solo ride yesterday and have to admit I was a bit more aware, especially when that deer ran by.
    I ride in a state park, solo, four or five times a week. All in an area somewhat near our neighborhood where I mentioned there's been plenty of sightings. Believe me, I've been pretty wary over the past few rides because of this but I also have been riding that same area for thirty years with nothing sighted other than deer, moose, and turkeys. Also remembering that this instance was only the second cougar-human fatality incident in Washington in the past 100 years makes me aware that I'm much more likely to get myself killed due to a crash on the bike than from a cougar encounter. Enjoy the woods!

What’s the local wolf population like?
    Where the biker was killed on Saturday?

Zero or as close to zero as makes no difference.

Has been covered in thread already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Bingo.
    Need my address? Will this help? exactly 1 mile from this sign.

Name:	304377_4447687477836_732620569_n.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	236820

Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 359
Size:  678.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Where the biker was killed on Saturday?

Zero or as close to zero as makes no difference.

Has been covered in thread already.
    My post was in response to the query posted by cycology1

My post was in response to the query posted by cycology1
    No acknowledged resident wolves in CO. They have plenty of room and other states have a surplus of wolves, but a policy push to just export that surplus doesn't seem to be coming.

What I AM going to do. I'd been planning to offer tourists, 5 to 10 mile bicycle rides on the trail here with my fleet of Schwinn cruisers. It's all down hill and ends right in town. I'm thinking I should ditch the "Enjoy the Rain Forest" pitch and should play up the danger. Market it as an extreme sport like bungee jumping or parasailing. "I SURVIVED" themed bumper sticker and tee shirts to upsell for added profit.

RIDE THE SCHWINNS IF YOU DARE!!!

TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY THE VIEWS
    BUT DONT BE LAST IN LINE

GOOD FRIENDS
    RIDE BEHIND YOU

Has it been mentioned what kind of bikes they were on?

I'm guessing 26ers cause everyone knows they're obsolete and 29ers would've rolled outta that attack no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Has it been mentioned what kind of bikes they were on?

I'm guessing 26ers cause everyone knows they're obsolete and 29ers would've rolled outta that attack no problem.
    Retro hippster Road/Gravel bikes I believe?

Local TV had video of Fish and Wildlife loading their bikes into pick up. One appeared to have bar end friction shifters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^ That's what I saw, too. Down drop handlebars, rack on the back, somewhat skinny tires. Definitely not mountain bikes.

pic of the victim, SJ Brooks, with an old Raleigh Portage, modded with flat bars and 32 or 35 tires: