Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    One of the things I thought of when I first heard this story was Initiative 655, passed in Washington in 1996. That initiative banned the use of dogs when hunting bears, cougars, other large animals. ...
    Banning hunting with hounds is just plain stupid. But, there will be more negative interactions with mountain lions and sharks, and as wolves (hopefully) expand, somewhere there will be a negative human/wolf interaction. Part of the cost of having nature close by. Tiny fraction of the number of people whose lives get ruined by deer, though.

Deer ticks and their disease are a huge health cost for people and their dogs, and it goes way beyond Lyme disease. We don't panic about deer numbers if a neighbor gets Lyme.

My heart goes out to them, but bottom line we want more lions nearby and want greenway overpasses and such to make their lives easier. Same goes for the CA coast as all the cute little sharks grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Banning hunting with hounds is just plain stupid....
    Will of the voters...

ETA: The common thought was that the initiative would be carried by the voters in King County and that rural counties would go against it. I just looked it up and this initiative was passed in every county in the state, even the most rural in NE WA. That's a surprise to me.

Banning hunting with hounds is just plain stupid. But, there will be more negative interactions with mountain lions and sharks, and as wolves (hopefully) expand, somewhere there will be a negative human/wolf interaction. Part of the cost of having nature close by. Tiny fraction of the number of people whose lives get ruined by deer, though.

Deer ticks and their disease are a huge health cost for people and their dogs, and it goes way beyond Lyme disease. We don't panic about deer numbers if a neighbor gets Lyme.

My heart goes out to them, but bottom line we want more lions nearby and want greenway overpasses and such to make their lives easier. Same goes for the CA coast as all the cute little sharks grow up.
    Mutha Fucking Sharks
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Simple answer for those of you who prefer to not or are scared of firearms......add a laser pointer to the gear list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQcZZp19wVc
    Dumb. I'm betting with that answer that you don't own a gun. Jeez, think much?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Is there ANYTHING that you don't have an irrational fear of?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Will of the voters...
    Yeah like rabbits are happy when a beagle is on their trail. Just like they use dogs to chase off geese, I wouldn't be surprised to see that they actually start hiring the three people left with good hounds to harrass lions, just to keep them shy of dogs and people.

But, the suburban Microsoft execs can feel cozy in the meantime.

Yeah, thought about the wolf angle (lesser deer population, changed herd habits, etc.) but there really aren't any wolves in that area, or at least very few and very new to that region. Besides, a recent study in NE WA shows no appreciable change in deer population since the arrival of wolves in the early 2000's.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ing-deer-n/#/0
    Actually, what I was referring to is that Cougars are afraid of Wolves, and in the good ole days, if you had a dog, the Cougars would keep away, due to that association. Since we really don't have wolves anymore, or more specifically, Cougars don't have any personal bad interactions with Wolves, they don't associate a labradoodleschnowzer with bad experiences, so they eat them and you.
    "Beast in the Garden" talks about this.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Jeez, humor much?

Livestock guard dogs still keep lions away just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Actually, what I was referring to is that Cougars are afraid of Wolves, and in the good ole days, if you had a dog, the Cougars would keep away, due to that association. Since we really don't have wolves anymore, or more specifically, Cougars don't have any personal bad interactions with Wolves, they don't associate a labradoodleschnowzer with bad experiences, so they eat them and you.
    "Beast in the Garden" talks about this.
    Ah, good point. Add to it that in WA, hound hunting was outlawed 22 years ago and the cats don't even have that fear marker bred into their behavior anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Livestock guard dogs still keep lions away just fine.
    They are great for people raising sheep, but going away from the sheep on lion hunts isn't in their job description.

I was gonna ask about fog horns but mtbr came through with a gem. feasability-air-horn-during-wildlife-attack

Great interview with "Beast in the Garden: author David Baron: https://www.c-span.org/video/?321580-1/the-beast-garden
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Another reason I don’t leave home without a dog.

But seriously, How does a mtn lion react to a 100lb Shepard on a trail?

I know they keep the coyotes away.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

from the Snow in the PNW thread my previous Golden.

I had a cougar follow me along the treeline by the power line trail at highpoint on tiger mountain years ago.

Never heard my dog make the same growl as he did that day.. connected with his inner wolf.

Same dog got into it with a coyote near there another time.. coyote lost.. luckily Max didn't take off after him back to a pack.
    Don't think you have to worry too much about Mountain Lions in St Louis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    hahaha, trolled. Dipshit only feels safe with a gun.
    If that's what an emaciated and starving 100lb cat can do, no one stands a chance against a 150lb one. They sneak up from behind and above and pounce on you head or neck (and then apparently do the death shake thing). If you or your partner could even get a gun out in that situation, you'd be better off shoving it up your own ass before shooting yourself or your partner with it.
    I'd be really interested to see the necropsy (is that an autopsy on a non-humanoid?) results. Sounds like it was either starving, or diseased. I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on people's doings or lack thereof.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

In Oregon we can still use dogs if it's been taking livestock. I have gone on a few hunts with the state when they are out here.

The first time my wife and I went along the dogs treed a cat a mile away in the craziest thickest underbrush, poison oak and blackberries I've ever been in.

The trapper shot it right thru the heart, it bolted out of the tree (it was 30' up) ran right past us and died 100 yards away.

It's now a rug.

I have pics I try and post.

The kitties aren't supposed to like large dogs, but a large lab got eaten out of it's yard in our neighborhood last year. So I guess it's a dislike they can overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    from the Snow in the PNW thread my previous Golden.

Don't think you have to worry too much about Mountain Lions in St Louis?
    Dogs make great car alarms.

Lyme does not come from ticks feeding on deer.

There was once an animal type group on the side of the road in south lake and I stopped to check it out and they let me pet a 1 yr old bengal tiger. It like my fleece and took ahold of my forearm with its mouth and wouldn’t let go the trainer said “don’t worry, just relax”.

Awesome power.

There was once an animal type group on the side of the road in south lake and I stopped to check it out and they let me pet a 1 yr old bengal tiger. It like my fleece and took ahold of my forearm with its mouth and wouldn’t let go the trainer said “don’t worry, just relax”.

Awesome power.

Down in Baja years ago there was a Bengal tiger on a teather at a resort. We would play and wrestle with it. Super strong.

The lion I posted about earlier was a smaller 105 lb pregnant female. She had carried a 150lb full grown goat over a 5' fence and several hundred yards into the forest uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Lyme does not come from ticks feeding on deer.
    The deer herd is the main host for the adult tick that carries Lyme.

I'm not advocating reducing the deer herd, either, any more than I want to cull the sea lion population off of CA.

^^^^this fucking sock puppet is so dumb.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

My Gunther is a 100lb American Alsatian and his sister is a 77lb Malamute. Both of them can be very bad ass when pissed off, but there is no way I want them fighting with a Cougar. Big cats are just so fucking gnarly, hence my bear spray question.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.