Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    We occasionally have them in the neighborhood. Rule is kids don’t play out side without the dogs. 140 pound Leonbergers. Are the dogs big pussies? Yes. Imposing though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Dogs make great car alarms.
    I try to avoid leaving Gus shut in an unattended vehicle.. which anyway already has an alarm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    My Gunther is a 100lb American Alsatian and his sister is a 77lb Malamute. Both of them can be very bad ass when pissed off, but there is no way I want them fighting with a Cougar. Big cats are just so fucking gnarly, hence my bear spray question.
    If the dogs advanced, in all likelihood the cougar would run away, maybe after a very brief exchange. By nature, cats run away from any large aggressor. They have selected for that: If a cat gets maimed, thus impairing its ability to hunt, it may die.

Of course, an individual will sometimes exhibit outlier behavior, e.g., the NB cat returning and attacking after initially being scared off. OTOH, it then acted naturally, dropping victim 1 to chase ostensible prey (victim 2 when he ran away).

AFAICT, this cat acted unnaturally for a healthy adult. I await the WSU lab results. WDFW reports that the cat was emaciated, which is very odd because the area is rife with small and large game.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    We occasionally have them in the neighborhood. Rule is kids don’t play out side without the dogs. 140 pound Leonbergers...
    Your dogs are Lion Burgers?

Flowy, did you see Ricky Gervaise's new standup special? Funny bit about dogs, including Ridgebacks.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Flowy, did you see Ricky Gervaise's new standup special? Funny bit about dogs, including Ridgebacks.
    Agreed. it's hilarious.

https://www.facebook.com/NetflixUK/v...7660878220197/
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Is there ANYTHING that you don't have an irrational fear of?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Banning hunting with hounds is just plain stupid. But, there will be more negative interactions with mountain lions and sharks, and as wolves (hopefully) expand, somewhere there will be a negative human/wolf interaction. Part of the cost of having nature close by. Tiny fraction of the number of people whose lives get ruined by deer, though.

Deer ticks and their disease are a huge health cost for people and their dogs, and it goes way beyond Lyme disease. We don't panic about deer numbers if a neighbor gets Lyme.

My heart goes out to them, but bottom line we want more lions nearby and want greenway overpasses and such to make their lives easier. Same goes for the CA coast as all the cute little sharks grow up.

ghast's biggest fear:

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Will of the voters...

Nasty Pussy...cat

Shot of kiva our 2 year old. He’s going to

Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9422.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	850.4 KB 
ID:	236691
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

hey is that a 30# fox?

for certain, feel for the family. positive vibes

people need to spend more time outside.

just listen to these idiots...

^^^that just sent my dogs flying out of the house barking their heads off. They're scouring the place looking for lynx right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    That reminded me of this post card theme:

This attack is a bummer to hear about on several levels. We have them all over, including where I ride and ski solo with several sightings of tracks. On one excursion this winter I toured up a rarely used trail and came up to some recent mountain lion tracks heading down the trail. The lion had crossed over the adjacent creek and headed down to behind were I had just skied. Needless to say, I decided it was a good time to turn around.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    That reminded me of this post card theme:

This attack is a bummer to hear about on several levels. We have them all over, including where I ride and ski solo with several sightings of tracks. On one excursion this winter I toured up a rarely used trail and came up to some recent mountain lion tracks heading down the trail. The lion had crossed over the adjacent creek and headed down to behind were I had just skied. Needless to say, I decided it was a good time to turn around.
    I had an experience similar to that. I went with some buddies to their elk hunting camp for a weekend in NE WA. I'm not a hunter but wanted to go along just for being out there and the beer drinking Saturday night. We went out early Saturday morning, me armed with a camera, and split up around a drainage. We started at split ridge tops and planned to meet back down at the other truck at the bottom of the drainage. There was about 3" of snow on the ground on top so, easy to see tracks. I started following a fresh set of what looked like mule deer tracks and after about 1/2 mile, a set of cougar tracks intersected the deer tracks, also looking very fresh, and followed the deer, too. I stood there for a second, looking at my camera and decided that continuing to follow these tracks was probably not in my best interest so chose a different path back down to the bottom. I never saw anything but seeing those tracks still made the hair on the back of my neck stand up a bit.

Separately, we've had a number of cougar sightings in my neighborhood over that past several years. I used to trail run on a hill side near my house but was hearing of various deer kills in people's yards then of a cougar being spotted walking down the middle of our street at 5:00 a.m. and decided solo running up in the woods near there wasn't a great idea. Last fall there was a cougar spotted in the morning with a fresh deer kill in someone's yard, right across the street from a school bus stop. Another neighbor witnessed a deer kill right beyond their fence last summer and the (I assume) same animal was spotted on the golf course near us about a week later. They're definitely around so we're paying attention.

^^^^^
    More than once, friends in town adjacent to BLM land, have sat in their bedroom watching a mountain lion devour a deer less than 20 feet from their window.

Here's one of paw prints that gave me the heebie jeebies:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4855.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	236729
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

^^^^^
    At least once, friends in town adjacent to BLM land, have sat in their bedroom watching a mountain lion devour a deer less than 20 feet from their window.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    that is incredible. wow. thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    That new Brad Paisley hit is fucking lit!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

^^^^^
    At least once, friends in town adjacent to BLM land, have sat in their bedroom watching a mountain lion devour a deer less than 20 feet from their window.

We have plenty of kitties around here. Those prints look too small to be a cougar. Linx maybe...

Nasty Pussy...cat

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    We have plenty of kitties around here. Those prints look too small to be a cougar. Linx maybe...
    Could be, but when I looked into this previously I was left with the impression that cougar tracks were about the size of a powder basket. Lynx could be too but had more fur between their toes leaving a less distinct print. Also, their track alignment and distances are different.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Lynx could be too but had more fur between their toes leaving a less distinct print.
    Yup. Those are not lynx tracks. What's the width of those skis?

Back leg on the lynx is kind of weird. Like it could put a shoe on and stand upright before batting you in the face.

There is a clan of cats that hang at the far end of our local MTB trail system. There is an elk breeding area nearby and no wolves, so solid food source
    They tend to be spotted, ironically enough, near the “Hello Kitty Connector” trail
    Only fleeting glimpses reported, no ugly encounters. I assume they like baby wapiti more than old human.