Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

You know when it's time to quit a job?

When you start making excuses on why you stay there.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Signed. Kinda doing that now. Place is insane, but getting a paycheck vs. not getting a paycheck is kinda the only reason I'm still there.....for now.

I know the feeling. Just quit my gig for something much closer to home and hopefully a bit less toxic.

Sent from my XT1585 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quitting a job after 12 years was the best thing I've ever done. It wasn't fun any more and I had serious misgivings about a couple of managers.
    If you're thinking about pulling the trigger, do it. Something better will come along and you'll be much happier.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

A career is just a job you're too lazy to quit.

I've been working towards leaving my job to start my own biz for a couple of years, and it seems like every time I get close there is some good reason not to pull the cord and just go for it. Most recently, the cost of health insurance...

But yeah, excuses are like assholes, and all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    A career is just a job you're too lazy to quit.
    I went to law school so I could have a career, so I could have a good answer when people ask "what do you do for a living?" Damn, that was un-smart. But I guess it's ok, because you gotta do something, and I don't know what the fuck else I would do.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Quitting a job after 12 years was the best thing I've ever done. It wasn't fun any more and I had serious misgivings about a couple of managers.
    If you're thinking about pulling the trigger, do it. Something better will come along and you'll be much happier.
    Already done, it was just a side job but the bennies and pay were to good to pass up and I got too comfortable.

Tom Wolfe dying recently reminded me of a few things Ken Kesey did that have stuck with me in life. There is something wrong if you stay too long within a snug harbor, things get too routine and comfortable so you no longer want to expand your horizons and take risks.

Fuck that job, I missed two ski seasons like an idiot because of a job. You think I would know better by now. Looking forward to getting out to Alpental for the next meetup.

Putting in my notice this week with my clients. 11 years of working on dairies getting beat up by cattle. I'm out. No more after July 20th. Overwhelming relief almost.

^ Anything to do with the squeeze (pun intended) on dairy prices?

Sounds like an utterly thankless job.
    Way to take control and do something about it.
    Wish you best of luck!

Hope this job change will steer your career in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Outrageous cost of health coverage is why people are willing to work for slave wages, practically nothing compared to what we earned in the 70s and 80s..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Outrageous cost of health coverage is why people are willing to work for slave wages, practically nothing compared to what we earned in the 70s and 80s..
    And work jobs they hate. Sad.

^^^ That was part of it.

Fortunately my employer forced my hand and I started a Business. So far I have wildly exceeded my expectations and projections mostly because of the construction boom around here that shows no signs of slowing down. If all goes well, 7 more years at the outside and I will be ready to call it good. Hopefully the bubble keeps inflating.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Putting in my notice this week with my clients. 11 years of working on dairies getting beat up by cattle. I'm out. No more after July 20th. Overwhelming relief almost.
    Stoked for you, man. Can't imagine the relief at leaving a job like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Tom Wolfe dying recently reminded me of a few things Ken Kesey did that have stuck with me in life. There is something wrong if you stay too long within a snug harbor, things get too routine and comfortable so you no longer want to expand your horizons and take risks.
    The thing with risk is that you may get the bad end of it. I went charging out of that metaphorical harbor into the howling seas looking for beauty and greatness. Now the sea kicked my ass and I'm back in the harbor being toyed-around-with by various ladder-climbers who never left it and became Mayor, Judge, Jury, and Executioner of SafeHarbortown. Metaphorically speaking of course.

There's really only one decent point B: having a comfortable amount of money (or more) and a lot of free time simultaneously for extended periods if not indefinitely. The devil is in how you get there. Fucking don't ask me how. I mean, for a bit there my gameplan was close, in the way that space shuttle challenger was looking awesome until it exploded and vaporized its occupants.

shouldn't you have milked them for just a bit more?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    And work jobs they hate. Sad.
    I have a supervisor staying way too long (past a normal retirement point) for this. She hates it and spreads a foul pall of awfulness forth from her lair.
    Single payer would allow probably 50ish people to escape from being toyed with by this one misery machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    shouldn't you have milked them for just a bit more?
    I agree, he was really getting creamed over there.

Were the cows sad when you told them?

It was time to moooooove on.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Awesome. Next week is going to seem like year!

As of June 23, I have 3 years left here. It is definitely not a great place to work, but it pays pretty well and people pretty much leave me alone. The BIG excuse I have for staying is a defined pension. If I left today, I'd be throwing away 6% of what I would get if I stay. I have one kid who just finished his first year of college, so this is no time to get all adventurous career wise.

But man, being a 3 year "short-timer" in a clusterfuck bureaucracy is about as soul sucking as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Hope this job change will steer your career in the right direction.

Right? Who wants to castrate their career?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    It was time to moooooove on.
    If you have beef with your boss, you don't want to steak your future on that place.