Can someone explain this to me?

They want to get rid of the Pikeminnow because it eats salmon and steelhead so they release Pikeminnow into the river for people to catch for money. Huh.

Pikeminnow reward season opened May 1 on Columbia, Snake rivers

Anglers can once again make money catching predatory pikeminnows in the Columbia and Snake rivers.

The Northern Pikeminnow Sport Reward Program opened May 1. It will run through Sept. 30.

Pikeminnows prey on young salmon and steelhead. That’s why the Bonneville Power Administration started the reward program offering between $5 and $8 for each northern pikeminnow caught from the Columbia and Snake rivers.

As an extra incentive wildlife biologists released 1,000 tagged northern pikeminoows into the Columbia and Snake rivers. Each tagged fish is worth $500.

The top angler in 2017 caught 10,000 fish. The top 20 anglers earned on average $30,000. And while high seeming, those numbers are down from last year. In 2016, the top angler earned $119,341 and the top angler in 2015 earned more than $100,000.

The season opens May 1 and runs through Sept. 30. Pikeminnows can be caught for a reward in the Clarkston, Washington area and at Boyer Park on the Snake River near Pullman.

Since 1990 anglers in the program have removed more than 4.8 million pikeminnow from the Columbia and Snake rivers. According to a news release from the Bonneville Power Administration the program has reduced predation young salmon and steelhead by approximately 40 percent since 1990.

During the first week of the 2018 reward program about 677 Ppikeminnow were caught.

For more information about the program, call 800-858-9015 or visit www.pikeminnow.org.

Incentive program cuz $5-8 isn't worth the hassle? Why not just not release any and create a "teach the homeless to fish" campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Incentive program cuz $5-8 isn't worth the hassle? Why not just not release any and create a "teach the homeless to fish" campaign?
    Because humans are stupid? We create situations that throw nature out of balance then rather than either accept the consequences of our actions or stop doing what we're doing and allow nature to right itself we take another step that is even more stupid such as:

Feds move ahead with plans to kill barred owls — to save spotted owls

This kind of shit has happened before. Policy dictated by people from the great indoors with no forethought or maybe just a lack of caring. We are killing our environment in so many different ways it just boggles the brain.

At the very least the "trophy" tagged fish should have been sterilized. Sounds more like a failed psy-opp, however.

They should have brought in you-know-who as a can't-miss consultant, offering AMG bonus.

Interesting article, KQ

Couldn't find any info, but perhaps the tagged ones are sterile?

Either way, that program seems to have both a solid track record and a huge budget!

/ converting daughter's aquarium into pikeminnow nursery as we speak

AkPM?
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Reminds me of an old proverb, "Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day, tell him to catch pikeminnows and he can make 30K"

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    As an extra incentive wildlife biologists released 1,000 tagged northern pikeminoows into the Columbia and Snake rivers. Each tagged fish is worth $500.

The top angler in 2017 caught 10,000 fish. The top 20 anglers earned on average $30,000. And while high seeming, those numbers are down from last year. In 2016, the top angler earned $119,341 and the top angler in 2015 earned more than $100,000..
    Sounds like the 1,000 released isn't enough to be impactful?

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Pikey fishing you say?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    They want to get rid of the Pikeminnow because it eats salmon and steelhead so they release Pikeminnow into the river for people to catch for money. Huh.
    Pikeminnow are a native species to the Columbia. Damming the river gave them a predatory advantage on salmon and steelhead smolt. They don't want to eliminate them, but do want their populations kept at a more historical level. BPA pays for the program to mitigate for losses in salmon runs due to the dams.

As to your question. I can think of three reasons why bios tag and release 1,000 back into the river.

A capture-mark-recapture study would allow them to estimate population size and effectiveness of the program. It would also provide growth data on the species.

The chance of catching a fish worth $500 increases participation by the more causal angler and increases total seasonal harvest.

It's a great program. Fund your Winter time ski adventures while only working 5 months in the Summer.

Looks just like a squawfish
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Looks just like a squawfish
    Squawfish=Northern Pikeminnow=Ptychocheilus oregonensis

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Squawfish=Northern Pikeminnow=Ptychocheilus oregonensis
    I thought this was the place for misogynistic gun toting skiing old white guys, leave your science out
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

I had read about Pike being in some Utah lakes, was surprised that they are unwanted. Hard for upper midwesterners to grasp the pike being a "bad" fish.

Being from WI, the Northern pike is a desired game fish, good eating and people pay big money for guides to catch them in Canadian lakes. In WI many lakes have a daily catch limit on Northern Pike and the minimum size is 25".

Your Pike is not the same as a Pikeminnow, which is basically a carp with an attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I had read about Pike being in some Utah lakes, was surprised that they are unwanted. Hard for upper midwesterners to grasp the pike being a "bad" fish.

Being from WI, the Northern pike is a desired game fish, good eating and people pay big money for guides to catch them in Canadian lakes. In WI many lakes have a daily catch limit on Northern Pike and the minimum size is 25".
    Not sure if serious.

Non-native species almost always reek havoc on native populations. In your example, maybe the lake in Utah has native Cutthroat trout that would be eaten by the planted or non-native Esox lucious, (Northern Pike). Even if there wasn't Cutthroats, maybe the lake could be connected to other waterway that the pike would fuck up if they got i there. Research Davis lake, CA, retenone.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

A) 1000 is insignificant.

B) The assumption is that it will get enough anglers targeting the species to more than offset the increase. It's like any loss leader in a retail context.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i went on a journey through the gates o lodore
    in piscatorial pursuit of the colorado squawfish
    only caught buzzes and troots
    10/10 would do again
    pray4mypermit

hashtagit
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Praise the mighty squawker.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Pharyngeal teeth rule.