Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FISHING LODGES

FISHING LODGES

This is cross-posted from the fishing forum, but that doesnt get much traffic, so WTH.

My Old Man finally retired and is looking to celebrate with a father-son trip to a fishing lodge somewhere cool. He has been looking at spots up in canada and AK, the kind where they fly you in and have nice meal plans, so price isn't too much of an issue.

just running through the google machine ive found a bunch of spots but i would love to hear from folks on here about their experiences, or suggestions. Wants/needs/parameters as follows:

4 day trip this later summer-fall (turn it into a 4-day weekend)
    very limited experience with fly-fishing (i know, i know)
    Both of us are solid blue square fisherman, know the basics, but some hand holding will be needed
    Would prefer more luxury than hard-core bush (luxury in the bush preferred)
    Would like the camp/lodge to be remote and somewhere within a fairly easy days travel of Seattle (all flights/driving included)
    Booze allowed, or provided is a must. Not heavy drinkers by any means, but cocktail hour after a full day is non-negotiable
    We will need all equipment provided
    Would really prefer freshwater over ocean fishing

I would appreciate any and all ideas you fine folks have. Thanks!

Langara Lodge, I haven't personally been but have heard only the best things.

Silver King or somewhere in the pacific north west of BC for steel head
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Check out katmailand.com of you want great fishing and bear viewing

Check out any of the below, you’ll be able to find what you want:

Orvis.com
    Yellowdogflyfishing.com
    Flywatertravel.com

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Canada might be a pretty good deal right now with the exchange

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Canada might be a pretty good deal right now with the exchange
    I haven't looked at overnight lodges - only day trips. Canadian ocean charters were 3-5X the cost of their american counterparts. Even with the exchange rate, it was better to stay in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I don't know what they have / will provide in the way of fishing gear or guiding, but this place in the Wallowas fits the rest of your bill to a tee:
    http://minam-lodge.com/

Silver King doesn't even have the prices on their site but I think it's around 1000 a day still yer captains of industry don't care and certain weeks are booked in perpetuity so you gotta wait for the guy who owns it to die

Somewhere in Saskatchewan would be easy from Seattle. Gangler's lodge is one choice. Northern Pike, walleyes, grayling even lake trout.

I don't know anything about fishing, but I was searching for information about the Cirque of the Unclimbables and found this: http://inconnulodge.com/

Seems like a cool spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Millsie1 View Post
    Somewhere in Saskatchewan would be easy from Seattle. Gangler's lodge is one choice. Northern Pike, walleyes, grayling even lake trout.
    Yep, my dad threw out the idea of https://www.scottlakelodge.com/location/, but they are all booked up for the timeframe i have available. Also, holy shit that is expensive. $1200/day is stupid. I don't understand how their operating costs can justify that kind of pricing. Also, we both are very novice at fly fishing (like have done it only once or twice). I realize almost all fresh water lodges will be fly casting, so will we be in over our heads and have the trip not be worth it?

Are there any lodges you have had your eye on that you suggest i look at? Or would the google machine be just as good?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    $1200/day is stupid.
    You did say in the 1st post that price wasn't much of an issue. Anyway, disregard my post above as it's $1400 a day.

Yep, my dad threw out the idea of https://www.scottlakelodge.com/location/, but they are all booked up for the timeframe i have available. Also, holy shit that is expensive. $1200/day is stupid. I don't understand how their operating costs can justify that kind of pricing. Also, we both are very novice at fly fishing (like have done it only once or twice). I realize almost all fresh water lodges will be fly casting, so will we be in over our heads and have the trip not be worth it?

Are there any lodges you have had your eye on that you suggest i look at? Or would the google machine be just as good?
    It all depends. Are you both a couple inept morons? If so, go to a lodge that will have you hang a chunk of fish meat out there, or have you troll around with a lure and wait in a comfy chair for the rod to bend and the guide can hand it to you. It ain't rocket surgery. Or if you're almost athletic, book a fly-fishing place and you have 3-4 days with experts to learn something new.

What you're asking for isn't hard. Shit, I flew to the Keys for 3 days from Seattle.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Last time I flew into & out of the small airport at Vancover intentional there were lots of guys flying in from somewhere probably on the island with fish & gear which might be easier from Seattle ? And fishing the salt chuck might be easier than trying to learn Spey casting at 1200 $ a day

The guys that pay those rates have so much plucking money they seriously don't care, we don't have jet service to the valley so if you hear a jet it's a Gulfstream or Lear belonging to some captain of industry and it means the start of the steelhead season

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You did say in the 1st post that price wasn't much of an issue. Anyway, disregard my post above as it's $1400 a day.
    Haha, no your suggestions are appreciated. Im just comparing that pricing to catskiing pricing and commenting on the apparent disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    It all depends. Are you both a couple inept morons? If so, go to a lodge that will have you hang a chunk of fish meat out there, or have you troll around with a lure and wait in a comfy chair for the rod to bend and the guide can hand it to you. It ain't rocket surgery. Or if you're almost athletic, book a fly-fishing place and you have 3-4 days with experts to learn something new.

What you're asking for isn't hard. Shit, I flew to the Keys for 3 days from Seattle.
    Thats fair. We aren't full on (insert fishing lingo for kook/gaper/joey/chad), and both are throwing sport people and have fished (spinner reel) a good amount so im sure we'd pick it up quick.

The keys are another option i didnt think about though. Is late fall/early winter a good time for fishing down in the keys assuming there is no hurricane at that time? Fly fishing on turquoise water with warm weather doesnt sound too terrible at all.

Haha, no your suggestions are appreciated. Im just comparing that pricing to catskiing pricing and commenting on the apparent disconnect.

Oh, I agree with you, it seems crazy expensive.

check out Island Lake Lodge, Fernie BC.

the famous cat skiing lodge has excellent fishing in the summer.

days mission from Seattle. https://islandlakecatskiing.com/

JHC, if you consider the Keys, then go anywhere. I don't think New Orleans has non-stops, but I love fishing for redfish, or go to Rockport through Houston http://www.kenjofly.com Non-stops to Miami, rent a car and fish out of Flamingo. I've done all these trips and many more. BFD. Anyway, it sounds like you want a LODGE, and a few have already been suggested.

I've gone to http://www.aikenslake.com/ for 25yrs or so with my dad and keep going back

most of these inland canadian lake lodges you are looking at will be spin or 'traditional tackle' fishing, not fly fishing. PM me if you have questions

They would not be flyfishing only. The price includes fully guided, gourmet food and probably the flight to get there. There are others out there too. Infisherman.com can show you a bunch of lodges they've been too. Lake Tobin area might be a good place to start.

I've never been that far west in Canada to fish. I'm in Chicago and really like Rainy Lake Houseboats in International Falls.

If you are doing a once in a lifetime with your Dad go to Queen Charlottes/Haida Gwai. Langara Lodge is awesome as are west coast resorts (I’ve been to Hippa) and west coast fishing lodge. You can’t go wrong - world class experience.

If oceanfishing...Just messaged a buddy who works at Eagle Pointe lodge; 20 min float plane access north of Prince Rupert, B.C. on the southern tip of the A.K. panhandle on the B.C. side of the border.

She says Langara Lodge has a great rep and her coworkers who previously worked there report nothing but good things. Bit of a bigger operation with lots of staff and guides.

If a smaller more intimate setting is preferred, Eagle Pointe lodge sounds like a great bet. Chill, friendly vibe and only 14 staff.

http://www.eaglepointelodge.com/
    Last edited by swissiphic; 05-23-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

The Dean River on B.C'.s central coast is B.C.'s most prolific Steelhead Trout fishing river. Most likely bait casting rather than fly fishing as these fish go 12-20 lbs or more.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    The Dean River on B.C'.s central coast is B.C.'s most prolific Steelhead Trout fishing river. Most likely bait casting rather than fly fishing as these fish go 12-20 lbs or more.
    What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Tarpon of around 200 pounds have been caught on a fly rod. Pussy ass 20 pound steelhead. Woah.