Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    It's much easier to get good geometry with smaller wheels.
    Also true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Because there's a huge number of assholes in the bike industry, and even more sheep?

What happened to 29er becoming dominant for DH and Enduro? What happened to there being an advantage for 29er in XC racing? How is it that the 1.5" advantage that 29er's have over 27.5" makes zero difference, but the 1" difference between 26er's and 27 is A HUDGE MASSIVE DIFFERENCE THAT MAKES TINY WHEELS COMPLETELY OBSILITE YOU BUY BUY BUY NEW BIKE NOW DENSTIST.

Oh, and you're a fucking moron.
    saved for historical purposes

moron

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Also true.
    Why ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Why ?
    The larger the wheel diameter, the more the physical limitations of the design.

which is not to say they can not make a 29'er with good geometry especaily for tall people

thats why they don't make the wagonwheelers smaller than a medium

but short people got no reason to live anyhow

which is not to say they can not make a 29'er with good geometry especaily for tall people
    Yup - there are 29'ers with good geo out there, it's just not as easy to address the limitations of the larger wheel. This becomes especially apparent as travel increases.

thats why they don't make the wagonwheelers smaller than a medium
    This is not true. Hell, Niner even makes a full sus 29'er in an EXTRA-small.

but short people got no reason to live anyhow
    No argument here.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    saved for historical purposes

moron
    It's like he thinks the entire WC field is begging to run 26" wheels, but a vast industry conspiracy prevents them from doing so.

Guerrilla Gravity's sizing lends itself towards tall folks. I'm 6'1" and was most comfortable on a medium. Made in USA, modern geo, multiple wheelsize options.
    https://ridegg.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Boy this thread has run off on a tangent of 26 vs 29 wheels.....I was just looking at 27.5" vs 29" for the tall rider (6-4" and above).

how much of a difference is there in riding style/performance on trail/enduro/DH riding (non-XC)?

From a "bear-on-circus bike effect" standpoint does it matter? Will I still look like a clown either way?
    i can't help on the 27.5
    i felt pretty good on 29 at 6-5, 210

ski bowl is targeting a memorial day opening, you could maybe go up there and rent & see how they're different? could even drive down to sandy ridge...the bike rental there doesn't restrict you to their hill, at least it didn't used to

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Guerrilla Gravity's sizing lends itself towards tall folks. I'm 6'1" and was most comfortable on a medium. Made in USA, modern geo, multiple wheelsize options.
    https://ridegg.com/
    This. GG's bikes ride HUGE. Sadly, the "M", while it was the right size for me... didn't fit me well.

Yup - there are 29'ers with good geo out there, it's just not as easy to address the limitations of the larger wheel. This becomes especially apparent as travel increases.

This is not true. Hell, Niner even makes a full sus 29'er in an EXTRA-small.

No argument here.
    Not only easier, but far less expensive. It usually takes a complex and expensive carbon fiber design to make a 29er frame that matches a 26" aluminum frame in weight, strength, stiffness, quality of geometry and performance. The bike industry certainly doesn't mind convincing people that they have to have bigger wheels, and have to pay through the nose for a bike that performs properly.

It's even worse with wheels 29er wheels are drasticly less stiff and far weaker than a 26" with the same build, thus you have to add considerable weight or move to much more expensive rims to get a large wheel that performs properly. Most people can do normal mountain biking on a $70 410g 26" Stan's Arch MK3, but you have to move into expensive carbon fiber rims to get similar performance in a 29er.

All for less than a 10% improvement in "rollover".

Highway Damian Star Jonny - aren't there some other places on the internet that you can go to bitch about 26" wheels? Maybe someplace with a forum about race stock bindings too?

Maybe try these guys: pugski.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Fuck, all this time I've been going riding with friends on my 26" bike. I didn't realize that wasn't allowed, I guess I'll stop immediately.

Wow, I thought I was just repeating commonly known factual information. I'm not some member of a grand trollbot conspiracy to infect your intertubes with the unpopular truth about wankerwheels.

Cornering for sure.....but hard to describe....could be modern geometries - long reach, lower center of gravity, wider bars + the lower travel fork on 29ers....it honestly feels like i am riding one of those 1910 bikes with the giant front wheel. Mainly interested in how a 29 feels vs a 27.5 since those are really my two practical choices in a new bike.
    Some of the handlebars bikes are spec'd with nowadays are obscenely wide. Maybe that's what you were feeling? I can't wait for 1 meter bars!! No one will be able to turn!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Fuck, all this time I've been going riding with friends on my 26" bike. I didn't realize that wasn't allowed, I guess I'll stop immediately.
    You know that 1st drop on Vit-B? You coulda sent that WITH EASE had you been riding a 29er+ bike.

I find if I lean forward over the bars elbows out the wide bars feel right, how far forward ... far as you can

Tried out a Giant Trance XL 27.5" and it felt exactly like my old Giant Reign. Loved the bike...however still makes me look like I'm on a circus bike. Also tried out a friends niner Rip 9 XL with 29er wheels. Fit was slight stretched despite a shorter TT, but felt good.

However I think I like the ride and handling of 27.5 vs 29 and am leaning that way.

With the Giant warranty credit I can get the Trance 2 for $2200 or I can get the Niner 2-star for $2550 (with active junky cash back) and its 27.5+ and allows the option of 29" wheelset later...but its an online only so I cannot actually try before buying. Cannot find a XL Niner Rip 9 in my local shops at all.

I am leaning towards the Niner for the options, but will probably have to change cassette to a 11-46 (comes with 11-42) and a riser bar and it only has a 5 year warranty. - but the Trance is tempting since I was able to try it out and know hat I am getting, have local support and lifetime warranty and it sounds like they "may" be willing to swap out to a riser bar for exchange).

I like that Giant has supported me thru 3 frames so far breaking....but it seems silly to keep buying a frame company that I know I am susceptible to breaking.

Giant has the largest bike mfgering factory in the world and they make frames for a lot of brands

You could buy something on line but then you don't know how it's gona ride

Giant has the largest bike mfgering factory in the world and they make frames for a lot of brands

You could buy something on line but then you don't know how it's gona ride
    This is true....I hate this situation as I have to do it with ski boots as well. I am usually stuck with the ONE pair that exists in my size in an entire metro area or chancing it online and paying for a bootfit. I found some other bands in XL but for 2x my intended budget.

Tried out a Giant Trance XL 27.5" and it felt exactly like my old Giant Reign.
    This is how I ended up with a Trance Advanced 1. Fit me almost exactly like my 2010 Reign. Which I really liked... a lot.

This is how I ended up with a Trance Advanced 1. Fit me almost exactly like my 2010 Reign. Which I really liked... a lot.
    Ha thats funny. Seems we think alike! I however do like the idea of being able to switch out a 29"er option with the niner rip9. Tough choice.

Any reason to pay up the extra $600 for the Trance 2 vs the 3? Aion fork seems as good as the Fox Rhythm...and a swap of cassette seems inexpensive....

I'm 6'6" 220, on a kona process 153, best fitting bike I've had. There's never been a better time to be a big guy in mountain biking, a lot of these new enduro frames are super long.

Ended up going with the Niner Rip9 with 27.5+ setup (170mm FF, 150mm R) took it on its maiden voyage yesterday....night and day to my old 2000's era 26" bike. Something to be said for just having a clean new drivetrain and suspension let alone the tech updates.

One thing I didn't know is the plus tires.....I ran 40psi in them as normal....until I complained about such a stiff/harsh ride and my friend remarked that plus tires should be 15-20psi....oops.

Bike came with a 32T upfront and a 11-42 rear. That was fine for getting up short steep singletrack, but a second lap left me without the power so I think I need to go 30T or 11-46 or perhaps both. Will start with 11-46 rear with a sunrace.

Even on the 29ers I couldn't get rid of the bear on a circus bike look and am not willing to pay up for a full custom. Thanks to all for input.