Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    <snip>
    One thing I didn't know is the plus tires.....I ran 40psi in them as normal...
    WTF?

Oh yeah, you're a Clyde.

Carry on.

I like getting updates from OP's. I did a couple demo weekends and rode 4 different bikes from DeVinci and Kona. All were the style of bikes you kids ride these days. All were 32 pounds or over. I'm not sure if 29 or 27.5+ or 27.5 should be the deciding factor on the size of bike. I did realize that I don't really like this style of bike.
    I just can't take going that slow on the climb. They all climbed great like tractors, but tractors are slow.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I like getting updates from OP's. I did a couple demo weekends and rode 4 different bikes from DeVinci and Kona. All were the style of bikes you kids ride these days. All were 32 pounds or over. I'm not sure if 29 or 27.5+ or 27.5 should be the deciding factor on the size of bike. I did realize that I don't really like this style of bike.
    I just can't take going that slow on the climb. They all climbed great like tractors, but tractors are slow.
    Do you know the models? You shouldn't expect a bike with a heavy focus on descending to climb like a XC bike.

however, there are a number of what is now called "down country" bikes, that are basically XC bikes with slacker geometry and burlier components that i bet you would get along much better with: Yeti Sb100, Trek Fuel EX, etc. Heck, i bet youd get along well with a number of less burly trail bikes... but those usually arent the sexy bikes that get brought to demo days IME.

In anycase, Id recommend the RM Slayer to folks. It is as capable as any other Single Crown bike out there, yet still climbs really well, and retains a lot of poppy palyfulness to make mellow trails a ton of fun. For me, it is a true one-bike quiver.

Yes, I know what you're talking about. It's always a big shock for me to go from basically the lightest 29" bike, (my SS belt drive Ti HT), to a 30+ pound bike. It's fun, because I like riding bikes, but when I looked at my uphill time... Oh, and I was only a little faster on the long downhill, (because I think I will never have the ability to maximize the performance of these enduro style bikes). Kinda cool to not pick your line, though.

Of the Konas, I rode a Carbon Process 153 and a Satori. I rode a DeVinci Django, and probably a Troy. The Satori I believe, is like what you're talking about. Yes, it would be the one I would buy of the 4, if I was buying.

Still, though, 95% of my riding is up and down cross country single track. Even the dropper seat post is a waste for this.

That's a hot mess. My new FS build is 27.4 lb with 6"+ travel, strong wheels, big tires, dropper and no exotic parts. Should be a bit under 26lb with a lighter trail wheel setup.

Hardtail is 25lb with a modest mid-upper end build, 5+ lb frame, Pike, dropper, reasonable weight wheels.

I don't know how in the hell they are marketing 32+ lb trail bikes to people. 10 years ago I was riding a 31 lb bike with a heavy frame and fork.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 06-14-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    That's a hot mess. My new FS build is 27.4 lb with 6"+ travel, strong wheels, big tires, dropper and no exotic parts. Should be a bit under 26lb with a lighter trail wheel setup.

Hardtail is 25lb with a modest mid-upper end build, 5+ lb frame, Pike, dropper, reasonable weight wheels.

I don't know in the hell they are marketing 32+ lb trail bikes to people. 10 years ago I was riding a 31 lb bike with a heavy frame and fork.
    Oh yeah, SRAM just released their new NX Eagle group - 615g cassette and 341g rear derailleur. Each part is over $100. That's just plain stupid. My modified 10-spd XTR rear derailleur weighs 225g, cost $120 and can easily handle the 11-42 390g $50 Sunrace cassette I'm running.

Those Sunrace cassettes are a great deal. I bought one for my fat bike with low expectations but its light, well built and shifts as good as my other SRAM cassettes for about 1/2 the price.

Kinda cool to not pick your line, though.
    Eh, it not, not picking lines. Its looking at the trail differently and picking lines that werent even an option previously because of speed, ability to hold traction, or absorb bigger hits. I agree with you though, when i ride the mellow up and down trails at St Eds i ride my SS fully rigid every time. My slayer is not much fun there haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post

I don't know in the hell they are marketing 32+ lb trail bikes to people. 10 years ago I was riding a 31 lb bike with a heavy frame and fork.
    What size is your bike, and how much would it retail for? What is it curiously? not how much you spent on it haha.

Its looking at the trail differently and picking lines that werent even an option previously because of speed, ability to hold traction, or absorb bigger hits.
    Well, exactly.

I don't know in the hell they are marketing 32+ lb trail bikes to people.
    Right now in the next door thread leavenworth is asking for a bike for his wife, and the recommendation is for a 32 pound Diamondback.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    What size is your bike, and how much would it retail for? What is it curiously? not how much you spent on it haha.
    A few years old large carbon frame with rockshox pike/monarch suspension, 10-speed xtr drivetrain and brakes, sunrace cassette / 1x, hadley/flow mk3 wheels, 2.5/2.4 minions, dropper, good light cockpit - nice high end bits but nothing exotic, dodgy, or heavy. IIRC I'm into it for about $3.5k, retail for the 2018 equivalent would probably be about $6k-7k I'd say.

Right now in the next door thread leavenworth is asking for a bike for his wife, and the recommendation is for a 32 pound Diamondback.
    It's telling when the weight of the bike isn't listed... which seems to be common on the trail bike listings. Doesn't anyone pedal these things? Coming from the backpacking/ski touring world I'm shocked that weight isn't a bigger issue. Are these trail bikes kinda like the dynafit beast 14? Sure, you can skin with it, but really it's for dentists to ride powder in the resort? Do trail bikes just get ridden on the green/blue flow trails at bike parks by middle age tooth drillers?

When I was demoing these bikes I had a long talk with another guy doing the same thing. We both thought the bikes were too heavy, but he said that: "Bike riding has changed". He said that a group gets on their bikes, climbs slowly, chats the whole way up the gravel road, then bombs the flow trail down. He's right. I rode rat pac and grotto in Cle Elum last weekend, and that's exactly what it was. There didn't seem to be a cool x-country single track ride in that area.

When I was demoing these bikes I had a long talk with another guy doing the same thing. We both thought the bikes were too heavy, but he said that: "Bike riding has changed". He said that a group gets on their bikes, climbs slowly, chats the whole way up the gravel road, then bombs the flow trail down. He's right. I rode rat pac and grotto in Cle Elum last weekend, and that's exactly what it was. There didn't seem to be a cool x-country single track ride in that area.
    Yeah that's called bike park riding without the chairlift. At that point you might as well just get a lift ticket.

All our local terrain is rolling with choppy rocks and roots. You need to be able to handle punchy technical climbing or short technical downhills, but nothing really steep or where you would get up to high speed for more than a few seconds. I ride a longer travel bike because that's what I like, use about 75% of the travel just riding along. But my set up is more like a trail bike than an enduro race bike or park bike.

Bike weight: meh

I mean, nobody wants to go back to the days of 45# 6" bikes... but 30#? BFD.

When someone posted up a nimble-looking Gary Fischer he scoffed. Also, consider the proposed budget. He's not going to find a 26 lb 140 mm travel bike for $1000, compromises must be made.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Bike weight: meh

I mean, nobody wants to go back to the days of 45# 6" bikes... but 30#? BFD.
    Also, this, doubly so if we're talking about sprung weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    When someone posted up a nimble-looking Gary Fischer he scoffed. Also, consider the proposed budget. He's not going to find a 26 lb 140 mm travel bike for $1000, compromises must be made.

Also, this, doubly so if we're talking about sprung weight.
    I can buy $1200 dps skis for $100 on tgr gear swap. Why can't I buy a $7000 carbon bike for $500?

Because the bike business keeps it much tighter than the ski biz. Everyone and their mom has a gray market ski hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I can buy $1200 dps skis for $100 on tgr gear swap. Why can't I buy a $7000 carbon bike for $500?
    You can. In about 2023. It'll be 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Ill lose a few hundred for the good karma. I wont lose a few thousand for the good karma haha.

just sold my old bike to a buddy for a few hundred off what i could have sold it for on PB because he was always fixing/installing stuff on it in exchange for beer. I got a killer deal on my new bike and figured i should pay it forward to him.

Honestly, unless your wife is the type of lady who will ride fast and take chances, odds are she will be just happy to join her hubby for a nice bike ride in the beautiful mtns. basically a hike, but on a bike. So i woulnt worry about capability, and geek out on stuff. Get something that is comfy for her to pedal on for hours at a time and use the excess money to get her a nice helmet, clothes, shoes, and pack.

I just gave my old bike (08 heckler) to my buddy who's trying to get back into it. Other buddy sold it to me for 700 4-5yrs back. But ya know it's 26.

Wish I could've gotten a gear swap discount on my new nomad��

Also this Clydesdale shit is weird. I'm 6'3 does that make me a horse?

The vast majority of women under 6'4" will have more fun on a 26" bike anyway, so there should be no problem getting her one.

I’m 6-5 but not fat I ride an xl nomad cc 27.5 wheels
    Perfect for what you described
    Hello darkness my old friend