Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Ya know, this is really well said. I ride 95% alone, cuz I ride almost every day. I met some guys at Sea Otter out on the trail, and they had cool new bikes with dropper posts, yadda, yadda. They were faster than me on the gnarly rutted steep downhill sections. Duh. I just don't ride that stuff where I live. But I'm not a dick luddite.
    its just like the question "can I use a 90mm skin on my 120mmm skis ?" well sure if you don't ski with anyone else you will just set your up track less steep when you start slipping

some where in all my disjointed ramblings on TGR I said I couldn't feel any difference between 26 and 27.5 when I tried junior's nomad, which was true, I couldn't feel any difference in a mile of single track and you probably couldn't either in a p-lot test or if you ride alone BUT try swapping bikes with someone

Junior said well yes there may not have felt like any difference but if I'm out front on my nomad I can ride away from you any time, when we swapped bikes I had to work a little on the 26" to keep up SO you were riding faster

I noticed the same thing when i swapped bikes with GF's 26" giant, normaly I can ride away but I wasn't riding away and it took a bit of effort to keep up

besides 29's rolling over everything and the imporved geometry there are other things that are generationally improved like better brakes, dropper seat posts, shifting on a 1 x 11 narrow/wide with the clutch derailler means the chain has never come off ever period so just push the button and it always shift perfect, and if you are not on tubeless ... its time

I ride alone quit a bit too because most people are working mid day but the new tech is just way more fun nailing all them bermed corners on the down
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Interesting viewpoints from all sides! I was riding on a 2005 Giant Reign to which I had switched the fork to a 160mm so my head angle was already around 67-68 degrees. I loved it, I just endured lots of comments from fellow riders and friends who constantly shook their heads and said "Damn thats the longest seatpost in the world" despite running a standard 390-410mm post and the old "Bear on a circus bike" comment. I am just using this as an opportunity to be "modern" plus....not many 26" bikes for sale out there anymore. Current Reign XL is a 19.5" seat tube which would be a bit of a drop from the previous 22" I had.
    Yeah - the Reign has REALLY changed a lot since you had one. The new Trance is, in essence, about the same as the "old" (before... 2014?) Reign.

When I was in the market for a new bike last fall I tried the new Reign - it was like a lot of the new-skool low, slack bikes - not as playful as I was used to with my old Reign. So I tried the new Trance... and yup, that was the bike for me. Perhaps a *little* faster with the larger wheels? I dunno.

Have you tried the new Trance? Might be what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Err... no. It wasn't the wheel size.

It was your Epic.

No question the entire package contributed. :-)

Y
    Have you tried the new Trance? Might be what you're looking for.
    No, the local shop only has L for both the Reign and Trance. I would consider the trance, but the geometry measurements do not compute for my size...maybe if they made a XXL..... After breaking 3 giant frames I probably should steer elsewhere ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    No question the entire package contributed. :-)
    I rode one of those bikes back in the '00s. That was a hard tail for all intents and purposes. NTTAWWT.

No, the local shop only has L for both the Reign and Trance. I would consider the trance, but the geometry measurements do not compute for my size...maybe if they made a XXL..... After breaking 3 giant frames I probably should steer elsewhere ;-)
    Yeah - I'd steer clear if I was regularly breaking them as well. Were all the broken ones alloy frames?

Reggie Miller is 6’7”, he’s big into mountain biking now and rides a xxl Santa Cruz Tallboy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yup long and low, the top tubes can be longer and the designers can make shorter chainstays becuz they don't need room for a front der

Is that what you read ? I thot I actulay wrote about upgrading from old tech and the differences

In any case you can ride any MTB from 2004 including those with 26 " wheels and they will be fine if you don't ride with anyone else you want to keep up with or you don't care what you are riding

so if you can't/don't want to get with the new tech 14 yrs later ... just keep riding whatever you got
    Sorry, just pointing out that you're conflating wheel size with geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Reggie Miller is 6’7”, he’s big into mountain biking now and rides a xxl Santa Cruz Tallboy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You're timing is great. On Dan Patrick's show today he was talking about the LeBron post game interview where LeBron recalled every minutia about 3 possessions in the game, and Reggie said he'd be out sometimes on a long bike ride, and he could recall everything about almost all his games. I thought, it was cool another guy rides, (like Bill Walton). Shaq had a custom Cannondale, I wonder if he ever gets out. Doesn't look like it. Barry Bonds rides. He looks clean too.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    Sorry, just pointing out that you're conflating wheel size with geometry.
    The Dude: What the fuck are you talking about?

I'm 6'2"-6'3" 190ish. Was riding a 08 heckler for last 4-5yrs. Just picked up my new xl nomad (al). Only one ride on it but I'm in love. Demoed a L nomad down on Moab for a week before that and still felt fine but yeah you notice the slackness pedalling. Either way for a bike with 7in travel who gives a fuck. I'll ride longer alpine loops around MT and then hit big sky. Pretty sure they're offering an xxl.

You can either go ride bikes or argue with internet weirdos forever about which dhf 3c holds a corner better.....

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You're timing is great. On Dan Patrick's show today he was talking about the LeBron post game interview where LeBron recalled every minutia about 3 possessions in the game, and Reggie said he'd be out sometimes on a long bike ride, and he could recall everything about almost all his games. I thought, it was cool another guy rides, (like Bill Walton). Shaq had a custom Cannondale, I wonder if he ever gets out. Doesn't look like it. Barry Bonds rides. He looks clean too.

The Dude: What the fuck are you talking about?
    You're literally comparing some random bike from 2004 with a modern bike and attributing the differences mostly to wheel size.

29ers have one advantage, rollover, and it's less than a 10% difference. There's a multitude of other disadvantage vs. smaller wheels. A modern bike using smaller wheels will ride just as well, if not better than one with larger wheels.

I can't wait until someone starts running 26" wheels again for WC downhill or Enduro and wrecks everybody.

yabut roll over is a big thing on a self propelled machine, it could be > 10% or it could be more in any case arguing over the merits of the big wheel over the little wheel doesn't really matter

because nobody (bike mfgers ) is building modern bikes with all that new latest greatest stuff with 26" wheels because that is not modern, even tire choices in 26 are limited SO if you want to buy a new bike if you want the newest latest greatest tech/geometry you are looking at 27.5 or 29 because thats what they are building so they can make money

They likely could build a 26 with all the new stuff and nobody except maybe you and Damian Saunders (very likely the same person) are gona buy it ... not a money maker

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post

I can't wait until someone starts running 26" wheels again for WC downhill or Enduro and wrecks everybody.
    Ever stop a second & wonder why that hasn’t happened?

I rode a century in Death Valley with Bill Walton. He is tall.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Boy this thread has run off on a tangent of 26 vs 29 wheels.....I was just looking at 27.5" vs 29" for the tall rider (6-4" and above).

how much of a difference is there in riding style/performance on trail/enduro/DH riding (non-XC)?

From a "bear-on-circus bike effect" standpoint does it matter? Will I still look like a clown either way?

Boy this thread has run off on a tangent of 26 vs 29 wheels.....I was just looking at 27.5" vs 29" for the tall rider (6-4" and above).

how much of a difference is there in riding style/performance on trail/enduro/DH riding (non-XC)?
    IMO geo is way more important than wheel size.

From a "bear-on-circus bike effect" standpoint does it matter? Will I still look like a clown either way?
    This should never matter. In fact, it should have never mattered.

At 6'4" you should really be on a 36'er, anyways...

Damian or is it Jonny used to post pro 26/anti-wagon-wheel threads and I belive he got banned for being bad or sft, so its obvious to me after lurking under the new alias ... he just couldn't help himself

IME you will forget about the wagon wheels pretty quick

IME locally everybody is on big wheels so you will look just as stupid as everyone else

IMO geo is way more important than wheel size.
    If geometry is at all important, wheel size is a part of that

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    If geometry is at all important, wheel size is a part of that
    True...

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Ever stop a second & wonder why that hasn’t happened?
    Because there's a huge number of assholes in the bike industry, and even more sheep?

What happened to 29er becoming dominant for DH and Enduro? What happened to there being an advantage for 29er in XC racing? How is it that the 1.5" advantage that 29er's have over 27.5" makes zero difference, but the 1" difference between 26er's and 27 is A HUDGE MASSIVE DIFFERENCE THAT MAKES TINY WHEELS COMPLETELY OBSILITE YOU BUY BUY BUY NEW BIKE NOW DENSTIST.

Oh, and you're a fucking moron.

True...
    It's much easier to get good geometry with smaller wheels.

these ^^ are classic DS posts, before long the rants will be all caps ... is this how DS got banned ?

Actualy a wheel is round so you look at the radius not the diameter ... only half the difference

these ^^ are classic DS posts, before long the rants will be all caps ... is this how DS got banned ?

Actualy a wheel is round so you look at the radius not the diameter ... only half the difference
    The FBI should put you in charge of investigating russian bots on twatter. Using all caps on the internet...........that has to be evidence of something.

Name:  5e7.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  33.1 KB