Thread: BKXC

BKXC

How many people are watching this dude?

Chasing Epic is now youtube famous....

I find him to be slightly annoying, but the videos are high quality and pretty entertaining.

Absolutely zero idea what you're talking about. In general though, if I see XC in the name I pass.

Link?
    However many are in a shit ton.

seth bikes hack is entertaining, bkxc is boring! I also like watching Nate Hill’s followcamfriday videos.

I get into those Youtube videos sometimes. I do prefer Nate Hill or the Trail Boss guy to BKXC though just because he never stops talking and often has half his video just him in the car. Still can be entertaining. There is a guy who mostly rides in NC too that was fun to watch.
    It sucks to suck.

Nate Hills videos are great. The dude can ride and he always finds someone who shreds to follow, which is also super cool. He makes me want to go to cool places and ride, even though I’ll never ride like he does.

Seth’s bike hacks are good too. BKXC are interesting, sometimes informative, sometimes incredibly boring.

Lately I’ve been wondering if the same or a similar idea would work with skiing. Follow cam skiing around different resorts.

Watching the video where he breaks the bike I couldn't help thinking he'd be much better off if he'd STFU and pay attention.

One of the things I love about riding is exploring new stuff. Trails almost always differ from whatever I was expecting - sometimes for the good, sometimes bad. But it's the exploring and finding that out for myself that I really love. Seeing trails in vids ahead of time takes some of the adventure out of it for me, so I tend not to watch them for trails I haven't ridden yet. On the flip side if you have limited time on a trip to a new place these channels can help you find the goods, but riding with a local is still preferred if you can hook up with the right rider.

Guys like Nate, Lenosky and Kendall-weed are such good riders it can be mind blowing to see some of the things they do on trails I've ridden. But riders on a lot of channels aren't that good that the riding itself is entertaining. Maybe that's why some of them think the never-ending ride commentary is necessary? It's really annoying. Talking for the sake of talking...

+1 for Nate Hills. His are the most fun to watch edit wise. He's always with a super ripping rider too.

I don't think (for me at least) watching youtube videos can spoil any of the surprise of a new ride. I also tend to throw these youtube videos on my tv while I'm getting ready to ride or working on bike stuff and am not paying 100% attention at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Watching the video where he breaks the bike I couldn't help thinking he'd be much better off if he'd STFU and pay attention.
    That was the Singletrack Sampler.

And yeah, we've done a bunch of trips with Brian. He comes across as a little goofy in his videos, but he's a genuinely nice guy and is fun to ride with otherwise. He's also a good rider, although obviously not on the same level as Nate and Jeff.

The biggest thing he has going for him is that he's "approachable" and people can relate to him. He's got a good, fun personality that comes across in his videos and he's "human" when he rides- people can put themselves in his place. When viewers watch Nate and Jeff's videos, their jaw drops in awe and they're amazed at the riding- 99.9% of the people out there can't imagine doing that shit on their own. It's kind of like me with ski videos- I get sick of watching shit in AK because I'll likely never get dropped by a heli and ski those butt-puckering spines; I'd rather watch someone rip pow in Telluride, or Jackson, or maybe even Japan (something I could see myself doing). Brian's videos are also really good for people looking to explore new spots- it gives them an idea of what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    That was the Singletrack Sampler.

And yeah, we've done a bunch of trips with Brian. He comes across as a little goofy in his videos, but he's a genuinely nice guy and is fun to ride with otherwise. He's also a good rider, although obviously not on the same level as Nate and Jeff.
    I'll have to check some of these videos out. What is the youtube channel of each (I don't who is who from 1st names)?

I'm pretty amazed there's as many of these guys doing this (and getting as many views) as there are. And these guys nerd out on GoPro mounts like it's the Olympics.

I watch Skills with Phil a lot: https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePhilkmetz/videos

Guy fucking shreds and does some absurd shit on his trail bike (Crabapple Hits)
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Thanks!

So who are Nate and Jeff? Curious if I can pick out the difference in skills.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Thanks!

Nate = Nate Hills = https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyw...b9GXD0lakYf6WA
    He's super fun to watch and he's got a lot of videos of my local trails, I've even learned some new lines from him.

I dunno who Jeff is.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Thanks!

adrenalated covered Nate.

Jeff is either Jeff Kendall Weed: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6D...C_8tbqsK3y3uPQ

Or Jeff Lenosky / Trail Boss: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEP...3V8_3XpKU_-pRQ

BKXC, is ok-good, reasonable comparison for mere mortals

Nate, Jeff KW, and Trail peek provide the goods.

Nice. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Like him or hate him (which many people do), he is living his dream and riding just about everywhere good.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Like him or hate him (which many people do), he is living his dream and riding just about everywhere good.
    Yeah, he's got some pretty crazy trips planned this year too. He gets around.

what I like about seth's channel is the projects. to me is the most entertaining. if I want to watch good riding I watch Nate, JKW, Trail Boss.

The good thing about those amateurs youtubers is that while they get free stuff they also spend a lot of money and show so of the "how am I doing this" which kinda can help you when you are on a budget and have to pay for everything. you can genuinely get some good feedback on what works and what doesn't for the average joe.

Those guys (Brian and Alex, at least) inspire quite a few people out there to get off their ass and go ride, too.... I've seen/heard some pretty inspiring stories from the people who have been on our partner trips. We've only had one creepy enamored fanboy-type, not bad out of about 70-80 riders.

I like watching a bunch of the YouTube guys while working on bikes or before a weekend of riding, kinda fun to see what trails are like too, doesn't spoil it for me.

BCPOV is probably my fave, dude lives in Vancouver and rides a lot around BC. He's fast but not insane, doesn't talk too much and is really good at colour grading/video editing so the video quality is always top notch.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp6...cqcANny0t8Fufw

Also like Nate, Seth for project videos, and Skills with Phil cuz he rips. I watch BKXC once and a while for destination type vids.

Stumbled onto Skills with Phil cuz he was from New England and rode a lot of places I have ridden...neat to watch a pro rip moves I will probably never do on purpose.

From his Youtube page linked to all the other guys mentioned here. Still not sure how you can post videos of your rides all over the world and make that your job.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post

BCPOV is probably my fave, dude lives in Vancouver and rides a lot around BC. He's fast but not insane, doesn't talk too much and is really good at colour grading/video editing so the video quality is always top notch.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp6...cqcANny0t8Fufw
    Thanks for posting his page. I usually watch these to get excited for trips and I'm currently planning a late summer Canadian roadtrip.
    It sucks to suck.