110mm skins for Hojis?

Anyone try this? I wanted to use 125mm ascension skins but when I got to the shop they had mixed things up in their system and didn't actually have the skins I'd ordered. Doing some research in the shop we see that 4frnt actually recommends 110mm uncut skins for the Hojis. They were really low on skins in the shop so they apologized and sent me home with some 110mm momix skins (at no extra cost) and told me to think about it and decide if I just want my money back.
    WWMD?

If you hate them/they don't work, try cutting a slit down the middle then just spread the skins out to the edges. Ive done this to make skinnier skins work for larger skis and had good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    If you hate them/they don't work, try cutting a slit down the middle then just spread the skins out to the edges. Ive done this to make skinnier skins work for larger skis and had good luck!
    ^^^that just blew my mind^^^

I've used skins that were too skinny for my skis with no major issues. steep, side-hilling can be tricky but when isn't it?
    the Hojis are 110 mm underfoot, so you'll likely be fine as having edge to edge contact in the tips and tails seems less important in my experience.

I have the 4FRNT branded skins from a few years ago on my Hoji's and they are about 110 I'd say, they are not wall to wall in the shovel/tails where the skis are 120+mm. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    ^^^that just blew my mind^^^

I've used skins that were too skinny for my skis with no major issues. steep, side-hilling can be tricky but when isn't it?
    the Hojis are 110 mm underfoot, so you'll likely be fine as having edge to edge contact in the tips and tails seems less important in my experience.
    ^^^this^^^
    Mind equally blown
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

The 110mm skins are actually too wide for a 112mm waisted ski if you want to cover only the P-Tex portion (this is what most people try to do). The base (not counting the edges) is really only about 106mm. A straight 106mm skin will work fine for most of the people almost all of the time. A 125mm skin trimmed to fit the base material wall-to-wall might give you a bit more grip in some extreme conditions but will actually have worse glide.

Does "no extra charge" mean they were free? In that case I would use them without hesitation.

Guessing it means they just upgraded from the Ascension nylon skins to the momix

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

I rock an uncut 110mm BD pure mohair skin on my hojis and it works just fine. Grip is good, still some edge sticking out.

I recall reading that the Hoji is 112mm precisely so that Hoji can use 110mm skins without bothering to cut them. I have a few non-w2w skins and they mostly work great, the more sidecut the more I want w2w though