Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    ON Amino Energy tastes good and will get you going.

I dig the skratch labs too. kinda spendy but good flavors
    I actually just saw the skratch matcha flavor (w/ caffeine) half off on steep and cheap and that is a pretty god flavor too- iced tea like
    https://www.steepandcheap.com/skratc...I6c2tyYXRjaA==
    skid luxury

I drink some Gatorade zero. It may not be the best, but it feels good.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Godspeed amigo. Enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I dig the skratch labs too. kinda spendy but good flavors
    I actually just saw the skratch matcha flavor (w/ caffeine) half off on steep and cheap and that is a pretty god flavor too- iced tea like
    https://www.steepandcheap.com/skratc...I6c2tyYXRjaA==
    I like Nuun, but it is kinda annoying with the "plop plop fizz fizz" thing. My water bottle squeals the whole way up the hill. Thought it was a leaky tire for a while. It is way better on my stomach than a lot of others are.

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/10/9/1237
    "In summary, our results based on a 12-week prospective study provide evidence that moderate intake of beer (traditional and alcohol-free) does not exert vascular detrimental effects nor increases body weight in obese healthy individuals. In contrast, moderate intake of beer increases the anti-oxidative properties of HDL and facilitates cholesterol efflux, which may prevent lipid deposition in the vessel wall."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...812-9/fulltext
    "Dairy consumption was associated with lower risk of mortality and major cardiovascular disease events in a diverse multinational cohort."

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/10/9/1272
    "These results suggest that the dietary cholesterol in whole egg was not well absorbed, which may provide mechanistic insight for why it does not acutely influence plasma total-cholesterol concentration and is not associated with longer-term plasma cholesterol control."

question for the nutrition folks- I've been trying to swill a tablespoon or so of ACV daily, but alone it makes me want to retch so I've been doing in a glass of cran juice (half juice/ half water maybe sometimes a lemon squeeze)
    I'd like to take it in the morning, but am not digging the thought of that huge sugar spike from the juice, so have been doing afternoons
    How do you guys take your acv- timing and masking flavor?
    or maybe I just need to man up and look at it like a shot in the morning. breath out, take it down
    skid luxury

The Nutrition Science thread

Suck it up buttercup. Shoot it and chase w/ water. It gets better.

question for the nutrition folks- I've been trying to swill a tablespoon or so of ACV daily, but alone it makes me want to retch
    Perhaps just stop doing it? While it appears there may be modest benefits, probably not the pure-fucking-magic that the internet makes it out to be.

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/hea...-cider-vinegar

Life's too short to force yourself to eat/drink shit that makes you retch.

I haven't taken it in a while, but I would mix it in a glass of water and chug in the morning. Lately as a somewhat alternative, I've been eating lots of pickled and fermented foods.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

or maybe I just need to man up and look at it like a shot in the morning. breath out, take it down
    This is what I do. 1 Tbs in a shot glass followed by two full shot glasses of water and my VitD pill. If you want to sweeten it up, avoid sugar, and do something else healthy for yourself, dissolve 1 Tbs glycine in several Tbs boiling water then add in the ACV. Tastes like tart hot apple cider. On the sweet-healthy matrix glycine is far upper right.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Perhaps just stop doing it? While it appears there may be modest benefits, probably not the pure-fucking-magic that the internet makes it out to be.

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/hea...-cider-vinegar

Life's too short to force yourself to eat/drink shit that makes you retch.

There is semi-ridiculous hype surrounding ACV. That said, it is very soundly established that acetic acid significantly improves insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control in healthy, prediabetic and diabetic people. In that sense ACV is definitely nothing magical, any vinegar works even distilled white. ACV does happen to taste better, and the Bragg organic stuff makes great whiskey cocktails.

Chronic mild to moderate insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia and hyperglycemia are no joke. Here's the results from the study the article linked to. It was a small study, but these results have been reliably replicated in many other studies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1.large.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	247976

Even in the healthy subjects achieved a nearly 50% lower blood sugar spike while producing ~30% less insulin. That. Is. Huge. The results from the insulin-resistant group were even more dramatic. There is no drug I'm aware of that remotely compares to these results.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I haven't taken it in a while, but I would mix it in a glass of water and chug in the morning. Lately as a somewhat alternative, I've been eating lots of pickled and fermented foods.
    No acetic acid in lactic-fermented foods.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-20-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Dan, Any thoughts on NAD+?

ACV started burning my esophagus. Probably not great to drink it straight.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    ACV started burning my esophagus. Probably not great to drink it straight.
    Definitely want to chase it with water immediately if you're drinking it straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Dan, Any thoughts on NAD+?
    Sort of like parabiosis, the in vitro and animal data is very promising but AFAIK there is a total lack of human trials. It seems unlikely that nicotinamide riboside supplements will turn out to be unhealthy, but they're not cheap so there's a decent chance your just pissing money away. They probably don't do anything if your natural NAD+ production hasn't fallen off a lot which I think doesn't really happen until after 40.

If I were 40+ and had money to burn I'd definitely consider it alongside mild HGH/Test supplementation. It's all pissing into the wind though if you're not already eating healthy, minimizing your sedentary time and lifting heavy shit and sprinting regularly.

Does sprinting across a crowded street on my bike count? I do that almost daily.

ACV straight up. You get used to it, then you start tasting the differences in the batches of Bragg, and the sweetness that develops as it gets older. I don't drink it religiously, but it's awesome for occasional heartburn, and I try to remember to swig some on crappy eating days. Mornings are tough because I typically don't eat breakfast, and my empty tummy doesn't love straight vinegar.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Does sprinting across a crowded street on my bike count? I do that almost daily.
    Indeed! Usually at least once a day I end up going balls out for 10-20 seconds trying to catch a green light on my commute. Anything that activates your Type IIB muscle fibers is gravy.

mmmm gravy

A gut-brain neural circuit for nutrient sensory transduction

(edit- more user friendly synopsis here- https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...u-si091718.php)

CONCLUSION:
    We identified a type of gut sensory epithelial cell that synapses with vagal neurons. This cell has been referred to as the gut endocrine cell, but its ability to form a neuroepithelial circuit calls for a new name. We term this gut epithelial cell that forms synapses the neuropod cell. By synapsing with the vagus nerve, neuropod cells connect the gut lumen to the brainstem. Neuropod cells transduce sensory stimuli from sugars in milliseconds by using glutamate as a neurotransmitter. The neural circuit they form gives the gut the rapidity to tell the brain of all the occurrences of the day, so that he, too, can make sense of what we eat.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    the Bragg organic stuff makes great whiskey cocktails.
    Do tell, recipes? We have a huge bottle my wife had been taking but has since fallen off the wagon. I mean, if you can mix it with whiskey than maybe it's not just hype?
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

(edit- more user friendly synopsis here- https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...u-si091718.php)

CONCLUSION:
    We identified a type of gut sensory epithelial cell that synapses with vagal neurons. This cell has been referred to as the gut endocrine cell, but its ability to form a neuroepithelial circuit calls for a new name. We term this gut epithelial cell that forms synapses the neuropod cell. By synapsing with the vagus nerve, neuropod cells connect the gut lumen to the brainstem. Neuropod cells transduce sensory stimuli from sugars in milliseconds by using glutamate as a neurotransmitter. The neural circuit they form gives the gut the rapidity to tell the brain of all the occurrences of the day, so that he, too, can make sense of what we eat.
    This is pretty fucking cool.

it's gut vs mouth/taste, but I wonder if similar circuits are involved when athletes just swishing and spitting out a sports drink can still trigger performance response as if they'd swallowed the carbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

CONCLUSION:
    Whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Do tell, recipes? We have a huge bottle my wife had been taking but has since fallen off the wagon. I mean, if you can mix it with whiskey than maybe it's not just hype?
    A couple I like:

3:1:0.5-1 Whiskey, homemade ginger syrup, Bragg. Start with half a part Bragg, add more if you want to up the vinegar flavor. A few drops of lemon juice rounds out the acid profile nicely.

Or, same ratios, but swap the ginger syrup for Citronge.

^ Awesome, thanks. Might have to try that tonight.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Ugh, I’ll try that drink, but seems like a great way to ruin good whiskey.

How about just mixing with olive oil and making a salad? Might help me make salads more often, usually only eat when the wife makes one.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    How about just mixing with olive oil and making a salad? Might help me make salads more often, usually only eat when the wife makes one.
    Whatever works, but with your first meal of the day is probably best. What those charts don't show is that the effect persists for 8-12 hours after consumption. So, the vinegar you consumed in the morning with breakfast improves your glucose control at lunch and dinner, too. Same thing happens with resistant starch.

Cornell nutrition scientist resigns after retractions and research misconduct finding
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...onduct-finding