Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    I'd really love to see a replication study. It's hard to overstate how massive an extra 250 cals/day is, so this really needs independent confirmation. Gonna be interesting to see what Michael Greger has to say about it--I predict hefty doses of ad hominem attacks on NuSI and straw men.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-15-2018 at 01:43 PM.

"Current evidence indicates that no specific carbohydrate-to-fat ratio in the diet is best for the general population. Nor do all diets, and calorie sources, have similar metabolic effects in everyone. With attention to diet quality—and specifically a focus on reducing processed foods, including sugar and refined grains—many people do relatively well with substantial variation in macronutrient composition"

Boom. High/low-fat/carb misses the forest for the trees. You can eat horribly unhealthy diets of any arbitrary macronutrient makeup. First and foremost, eat real food.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    <snip>
    Boom. High/low-fat/carb misses the forest for the trees. You can eat horribly unhealthy diets of any arbitrary macronutrient makeup. First and foremost, eat real food.
    And eat real food in moderation.

I just get the feeling that a large portion of the U.S. population honestly has no idea what eating real food means.

My wife does in-home healthcare; when she says “real food”; her patients have no clue what she means. She has to explain it to almost all of them.

She also has a policy of “no orange food” in the house: Doritos, Cheetos, etc. are verboten. She gave up trying to explain that one to her patients.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    My wife does in-home healthcare; when she says “real food”; her patients have no clue what she means. She has to explain it to almost all of them.

She also has a policy of “no orange food” in the house: Doritos, Cheetos, etc. are verboten. She gave up trying to explain that one to her patients.
    Baked Crunchy Cheetos are a munchie-inspired guilty pleasure of mine.

But yeah, eating real food with an emphasis on minimally processed goods regardless of protein/fat/carb ratios will likely be a more sustainable long term diet than having a conniption over macronutrient ratios and ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Baked Crunchy Cheetos are a munchie-inspired guilty pleasure of mine.
    That shit is allowed on road trips, along with Pringles and Ranch Corn Nuts. Road Trip Shit Food is exempt from normal rules. But at home? Nonono.

That shit is allowed on road trips, along with Pringles and Ranch Corn Nuts. Road Trip Shit Food is exempt from normal rules. But at home? Nonono.
    Yup. I can't really trust myself with shit-food in the house.

Road trips are a complete free-for-all, though.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yup. I can't really trust myself with shit-food in the house.

Road trips are a complete free-for-all, though.
    this is how I operate too. if it’s in the house it will get eaten.
    it’s not a road trip without doritos or the fancy cheetos “barbara’s” are like crack and you feel a little better about the enormous orange intake.
    the orange stuff stuck to your fingers is called “cheet”
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    these seem to help me and seem like a good product, check them out: https://www.hyperbiotics.com
    I need to check these out.

“no orange food”
    Carrot
    Orange
    Orange Bell pepper
    Habenero
    Butternut squash
    Pumpkin
    Nectarine
    Apricot
    Sweet Potato / Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    "Current evidence indicates that no specific carbohydrate-to-fat ratio in the diet is best for the general population. Nor do all diets, and calorie sources, have similar metabolic effects in everyone. With attention to diet quality—and specifically a focus on reducing processed foods, including sugar and refined grains—many people do relatively well with substantial variation in macronutrient composition"

It's too bad this will never get out to the masses... and it's also too bad that a large majority of people have no idea what "real food" means.

I followed a high fat low carb diet for a few months, then i had a blood test. My cholesterol went up from 190 to 250. Probably because of the bacon and all the animal fat i was eating.

Never had cholesterol so high.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I followed a high fat low carb diet for a few months, then i had a blood test. My cholesterol went up from 190 to 250. Probably because of the bacon and all the animal fat i was eating.

All fats are not created equal. I think a bacon-diet fad would have left no pig standing.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    All fats are not created equal. I think a bacon-diet fad would have left no pig standing.
    No kidding

Do NE IPA's have carbohydrates? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Do NE IPA's have carbohydrates? Asking for a friend.
    Yeah, especially the ones with Lactose. However, Brut IPA's are pretty low carb because of the low finishing gravity which means very little residual sugar. Calories tho.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Good timing - I just got mine cholesterol checked and I was 218 (HDL 95 and LDL 112). Been doing high fat diet earlier in the year, but now it's probably a pretty even breakdown across the macros.

Is this a big deal or no? Curious of what the mags - and their associated research/articles - think of cholesterol.

I was 229 with 63 HDL and 131 LDL.

Article in today's NY Times about nutrition for athletes:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/28/w...-athletes.html

JFC, the rice consumption study and today's resultant headlines may be the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-rice-day.html

Some extra steamy bits:

"The researchers say the fibre found in whole grains such as rice may increase feelings of fullness and prevent overeating."

White fucking rice is not a whole grain! Newsflash, health-conscious first-worlders are the only people on the planet who eat brown rice.

"The authors concluded: 'The prevalence of obesity was significantly lower in the countries with higher rice supply.'"

Because most of those countries are poor as dirt! Statistically controlling for lifestyle and socioeconomic indicators doesn't count for jack shit in this context.

"They said if everyone ate an extra 50g of rice each day the number of obese adults would drop from 650million to 643.5million...Mr Fry said: 'This novel research is the first to hypothesise that we could nail obesity by eating a modest amount more.' "

Eat an extra 50 grams of pure starch that is otherwise completely devoid of meaningful nutrition and lose weight? What in the actual fuck?

For anyone who is on a keto or low carb diet and really misses bread, I just came across this and think it's gonna be a game changer for me, low carb bread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes...eto_bread_v20/

Yesterday, I made an earlier version of this (the OP of the above thread had an earlier thread and later adapted the recipe to what I posted above). It came out ridiculous looking -- rose WAY too much probably because of altitude (pic below) -- and later deflated like a balloon. But still, it tasted like bread (a bit chewy, but still good). I then found the updated recipe, and today I made the recipe linked here, but this time I adjusted to altitude, reducing the yeast by 3/4 tsp. Made a proper looking loaf, if a bit small, and hasn't deflated. Have not tasted yet, but assume it will be good. Next time I'll add a bit more yeast. Soda can for scale and consistency.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190504_123940.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	281464

Name:	IMG_20190505_154621.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	281466
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Are you guys still putting butter in your coffee? I got a spoonful of butter one day ready to drop in my coffee and I was going to try it, but decided to slather it on a slice of oatnut bread instead. I had been eating bread without butter for years. The dollop of butter every morning has been a real treat. Thanks guys.

Ps thanks for the clearance to eat bacon and eggs everyday too. Breakfast has been a lot better since the trg’s.
    Still wear same pants size as in college and hdl ldl is apparently right on target.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Name:	IMG_20190504_123940.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	281464
    LOL at your wife's expression.

Heard this on NPR yesterday. Not exactly shocking, but interesting nonetheless:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ve-weight-gain