Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Nutrition Science thread

Lots of discussion in the shit that annoys you thread about keto diet, nutrition science, exercise science thread. Dantheman suggested we move it to the Paleo thread, but I thought a more generalized thread might be better.

Day 2 of keto diet. Feeling tired and a little out of it, which is supposedly normal. I definitely ate a fair amount of carbs, so this has to be a shock to my system. They were (mostly) good carbs, whole grains and fruits and the like, but still.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What have you eaten so far?

Thinking about trying this one

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Lots of discussion in the shit that annoys you thread about keto diet, nutrition science, exercise science thread. Dantheman suggested we move it to the Paleo thread, but I thought a more generalized thread might be better.

Day 2 of keto diet. Feeling tired and a little out of it, which is supposedly normal. I definitely ate a fair amount of carbs, so this has to be a shock to my system. They were (mostly) good carbs, whole grains and fruits and the like, but still.
    With keto you should eat less than 20 grams of carbs. Training your body to burn fat for energy.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What have you eaten so far?
    My wife has been meal planning and cooking keto recipes, so today I have mostly eaten those. Yesterday, it was eggs for breakfast, a lot of cheese, some pastrami, a lot of almonds, and a dinner that was a ground beef/cauliflower scramble.

Been using carb manager app to track stuff.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Millsie1 View Post
    With keto you should eat less than 20 grams of carbs. Training your body to burn fat for energy.
    maybe you misunderstood, the "I definitely ate a fair amount of carbs" was pre-keto. Been using an app to track my intake now, it actually says I have 26g of net carbs per day (based on my caloric intake). But I was under 20 yesterday and at 11g so far today.

Yesterday, it was eggs for breakfast, a lot of cheese, some pastrami, a lot of almonds, and a dinner that was a ground beef/cauliflower scramble.
    Is this some type of modified keto? That sounds like more protein than a true keto diet allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Is this some type of modified keto? That sounds like more protein than a true keto diet allows.
    no, it wasn't modified. It was day one, I'm just learning, and I was a little high on protein and low on fat 66.3%/29.6%/4.1%. Today (so far), I am at 73.2%/23.4%/3.4%. (from carb manager app)

Edit: I actually have a question about this for the experts. I realize that this 70/25/5 is my target, but how close to my target do I need to be? I felt like I was fairly close to the target numbers, but maybe that 4% difference is hugely significant? How much wiggle room is there?

Yeah, IIRC the upper limit for protein intake is about 60-70 g/day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yeah, IIRC the upper limit for protein intake is about 60-70 g/day.
    carb manager is saying my goal is 132g, on about 2100 calories.

carb manager is saying my goal is 132g, on about 2100 calories.
    Those are Jenna Jameson in her prime kinda numbers.

It's been years since I've looked at keto diets but Wiki suggests somewhere between a 4:1 and 3:1 ratio of fat to (proteins+carbs) is common so you may be close. Get some keto test strips. They'll confirm if you're in ketosis.

I made it about 3 months before going back to a more balanced diet.
    Ribeye steaks were my favorite, I don't think I could have done it without steak. Chicken, fish or any other protein just didn't satisfy me as much as steak, but there are lots of ways you can get creative, some good ideas over on https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/

Look up podcasts, books from Dr. Dom D'Agostino and Dr. Andy Galpin, Both great speakers that helped me understand the science involved which helped with motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Those are Jenna Jameson in her prime kinda numbers.
    What is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to tell me something based on your knowledge or are you just trying to be snarky like that jerkface commonlaw. I'm too clueless about this stuff to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    It's been years since I've looked at keto diets but Wiki suggests somewhere between a 4:1 and 3:1 ratio of fat to (proteins+carbs) is common so you may be close. Get some keto test strips. They'll confirm if you're in ketosis.
    This is what my app is telling me for today

Name:  Screenshot_20180510-210004.png
Views: 3810
Size:  51.8 KB

Plastic is the perfect food - it's vegan, gluten free, lactose free, nut free, keto and it never goes bad.

Not a keto expert but I don't think plastic is keto.

What is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to tell me something based on your knowledge or are you just trying to be snarky like that jerkface commonlaw. I'm too clueless about this stuff to tell the difference.
    I hate explaining jokes, especially bad ones but she ate a lot of “protein” for awhile there. No personal dig on you whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Are you following a specific plan or method? If not, you should be. You need to be supplementing salt and magnesium at a minimum, and I think you’ll have better success eating closer to 75-80% fat, especially early on. You can also kick start things with coconut and/or MCT oil. If you’re serious about Keto for a longer haul, look at getting a blood ketone monitor. The pee strips aren’t particularly reliable. You’re also probably gonna want to start considering some source of prebiotic like resistant starch.

I followed one of Volek’s books, I think the one for athletes. Peter Attia and Ben Greenfield are pretty good resources. I ultimately dropped out once I ramped my activity way up. But, Keto was a good kick start and mental adjustment. You can be extremely metabolically efficient and still eat (somewhat limited) carbs.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Is there anything resembling epidemiology on keto? All I saw in a quick look was a reference from NIH that said well it helps people lose weight and obesity is bad mmmkay?

Is there anything resembling epidemiology on keto? All I saw in a quick look was a reference from NIH that said well it helps people lose weight and obesity is bad mmmkay?
    Go to www.dietdoctor.com. It has a lot of info about Keto.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    I hate explaining jokes, especially bad ones but she ate a lot of “protein” for awhile there. No personal dig on you whatsoever. [/url]
    Sorry, I'm slow. Especially slow now because I'm in this keto fog.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Are you following a specific plan or method? If not, you should be. You need to be supplementing salt and magnesium at a minimum, and I think you’ll have better success eating closer to 75-80% fat, especially early on. You can also kick start things with coconut and/or MCT oil. If you’re serious about Keto for a longer haul, look at getting a blood ketone monitor. The pee strips aren’t particularly reliable. You’re also probably gonna want to start considering some source of prebiotic like resistant starch.

I followed one of Volek’s books, I think the one for athletes. Peter Attia and Ben Greenfield are pretty good resources. I ultimately dropped out once I ramped my activity way up. But, Keto was a good kick start and mental adjustment. You can be extremely metabolically efficient and still eat (somewhat limited) carbs.
    I am not sure, I guess I'm not following a specific plan, I am reading a lot on the diet, using the app to track my food, etc, but it's not like there is one website/author whose specific plan I am following.

I will try to up my fat content, thanks. And we have the MCT oil, but I haven't used it yet (though my wife is making recipes, so it might be in one of those). Been focusing on electrolytes, but probably need to do so even more, especially magnesium as you mention. Never heard of prebiotic or resistant starch, will look into that.

You can also kick start things with coconut and/or MCT oil.
    Definitely want to go with the MCT oil, and one that doesn't contain any C12/lauric acid. While technically all C6 through C12 triglycerides are MCTs, metabolically C12/lauric acid acts like LCTs and doesn't get converted directly to ketones like the shorter ones. Around 2/3's of the MCTs in coconut oil are lauric acid.

You’re also probably gonna want to start considering some source of prebiotic like resistant starch.
    Agreed, it's pretty important to feed your gut bugs well. The influence your gut bacteria have on you physical and mental health is staggering.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/09/gut-feeling.aspx
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...he-first-time/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4662178/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5102282/

You can be extremely metabolically efficient and still eat (somewhat limited) carbs.
    Yeah, non-insulin dependent glucose uptake increases by like 400% during and immediately after exercise so you have some leeway during that window.

I don't think there's much outside of epileptics and diabetic ketoacidosis, which isn't really the same thing as diet-induced ketosis. It is a well known phenomenon that endurance athletes metabolize fat more efficiently and can derive a higher percentage of their caloric demand at higher intensities. Here's how metabolism works as a function of exercise intensity:

The further to the right on the graph that the lines cross, the better. In untrained individuals the blue line usually drops steeply and the red line rises steeply. In highly trained individuals the opposite occurs. One of the crazier things in Scott Carney's book was that his metabolism changed from the couch potato-type to the endurance athlete-type solely from switching to cold showers and doing the Wim Hof breathing stuff. He was only doing about 3 hours of exercise a week, but the doctor who ran his RER/VO2max test said the results were equivalent to adding an additional 7-10 hours of exercise.

Never heard of prebiotic or resistant starch, will look into that.
    "Prebiotics" is just a fancy name for fiber--undigestable material that makes it to your large intestine where it can be eaten by your gut bugs. Soluble fiber is better for this than unsoluble fiber. Resistant starch is a relatively recently discovered third type that is particularly effective for production of butyrate by said gut bugs. Butyrate is short-chain fatty acid that seems to have a number of health benefits.

no expert or even novice on keto; but for most any diet; I recommend spinach, broccoli, tomatoes and cook with olive oil.

those are consistently listed as good foods for preventing some many things like many types of cancer, alzhiemer's, etc, etc. there's plenty of foods that prevent diseases; but I have noticed those show up on most lists of prevention.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !