Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    I haven't had a beer since I started and it's killing me. Liquor and diet soda isn't nearly as good.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I haven't had a beer since I started and it's killing me. Liquor and diet soda isn't nearly as good.
    I get that you are trying to cut carbs but those diet sodas are evil by the chemicals put in them. I would go with stevia or la Croix and have a beer or a few beers one day per week if it were me.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post

I get that you are trying to cut carbs but those diet sodas are evil by the chemicals put in them. I would go with stevia or la Croix and have a beer or a few beers one day per week if it were me.
    I'm not drinking often, talking 2 or 3 per week. And some have been vodka soda or vodka LaCroixs.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

A few months ago when winter got cancelled I was brewing a fair amount of green tea and then pouring over ice and decided to look for options. Found the Arizona "Zero" tea and mistakenly presumed it didn't have anything but honey added. Not sure if they just don't use much aspartame but there is some.

So then the whole seltzer thing happened and I've been enjoying that a lot. A week ago was on the road and needed drinks so stopped at walmart and grabbed a 12 of a "zero clear" seltzer and holy fuck it's horrible. You can almost smell the aspartame. False packaging bullshit. Now I don't think I'll be able to get the arizona tea anymore. Are there any gallon jugs of tea with no sugar and no aspartame?
    That's a lot of tea bags and energy to make a gallon. Maybe go loose leaf?

Cold brew tea in your own refrigerator seems to need one bag for a 32 oz jar. Water heated initially, add a tea bag and stick in the fridge after it cools down a bit.

A huge frustration is that when you see "low sugar" in an item or "sugar free", that still means "sweet as fuck", it just is pumped with some kind of fake sugar.

Can't it mean "not so sweet"? Is that too much to ask?

I've had that exact thought many times lately.

Pure Leaf brand unsweetened, is the best tasting bottled tea i've found. Not sure about gallons, but they have halfs.

Honest Tea makes a slightly sweet that’s just that, although it’s sweeter than it used to be. I’ve only seen small bottles, though. Like jono said, it’s painfully easy to make your own.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Sun tea - couple tea bags, cold water, sit in sun for a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just a quick recap into my Keto journey for those looking for anecdotal experiences. I started keto as part of a spring health rejuvenation kick. I really liked the idea of endless energy and not having to eat during long endurance efforts. The first few days were easy, then it got nasty. Headaches, low energy, borderline depression, lack of motivation to do anything other than lay on the couch, etc.. Also had some muscle cramps that no amount of electrolytes seemed to fix. That lasted about two weeks. Those side effects lessened but the low energy, poor mood, poor workout recovery, and lack of motivation stayed with me until I finally gave it up at week seven. During that time, I kept my carbs to under 30, tried to hit about .8 to 1.0 grams per lb lbm of protein per day, and ate fat until satiated. I was also fasting an average of about 15 hours between dinner and breakfast. I did have a few cheat days in there when I just needed a break. My buddy's gym just so happened to have a body comp company come when I was about four days in and then again at six weeks. First test put me at 15.6% body fat and 84.4% lean mass. The second was 14.7% body fat and 85.3% lean mass. I actually gained weight as I put on a few pounds of lean mass. I was pretty underwhelmed with the results especially with the amount of work and discomfort I went through. I can easily drop a few pounds in a week just by using portion control, so I was kind of surprised by my lack of fat loss. I ketoed on for one more week as I really wanted to be sure I gave my body time to adjust, but at week seven I decided to stop.
    I have always felt good eating a mostly zone paleo diet with some intermittent fasting, so I have been back to this for the last week. I say mostly because I allow myself some tortillas, beer, gluten etc.. I would say 70% paleo, 30% beer and tacos. Bottom line, I feel way better. No more fogginess, low energy, or mood issues. My workouts are better and I just generally feel awesome. And, beer has never tasted this good.
    My take away is that this keto thing is not for everyone. Honestly, I thought it would work for me and I gave it a good go, but in the end I find eating a more balanced diet and just controlling total calories to fit my desired body comp goals works better for me. I'm super active, lifting heavy twice per week and doing a mix of aerobic and glycolytic activity (skiing, mtb, paddling) four days per week with one day off on average. My suspicion is that less active people will have a higher rate of success with keto as their glycogen requirements aren't as high. For me, I felt like my body was stressed and just plain unhappy while in ketosis.
    Anyway, just my N=1 experiment to add to this thread's data points.

Edit: Forgot to add I'm 47, 5'8" 162 lbs.
    Last edited by TAHOEDOWN; 06-24-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Honest Tea makes a slightly sweet that’s just that, although it’s sweeter than it used to be. I’ve only seen small bottles, though. Like jono said, it’s painfully easy to make your own.
    Yep, Honest Tea is the only company that I've seen where low sugar means "less sweet".

Yes, you can make tea at home, but my rant isn't about tea, it's about drinks and products in general.

What do we thnk about this? https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...b-3-slow-aging

It's all over the internets quite recently.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What do we thnk about this? https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...b-3-slow-aging

It's all over the internets quite recently.
    I've been using Tru Niagen for the past 4 months. I dig it. Definitely more energy, better balance, improved eyesight, etc.. I loaded up with 500 mg for about a month (double recommended) based on some research on dosage and now take 375 daily. My guess is that if your NAD is declining you will feel improvement (I'm 47). I have a friend that is taking it who is 36 and says he's not really feeling a difference.

Glycine is a legit 100% healthy sweetener.

Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    I've been using Tru Niagen for the past 4 months. I dig it. Definitely more energy, better balance, improved eyesight, etc.. I loaded up with 500 mg for about a month (double recommended) based on some research on dosage and now take 375 daily. My guess is that if your NAD is declining you will feel improvement (I'm 47). I have a friend that is taking it who is 36 and says he's not really feeling a difference.
    Interesting. Seems similar to hormone replacement therapy in that it has huge potential when used to top off levels that would otherwise naturally be in decline.

about three months in myself, which included a 2 week vacation. Down about 15 pounds, which is about all I could reasonably expect total. But I'll still try/hope for 5-10 more. Diet and intermittent fasting (16/8) are the only changes.

I'm down 18 lbs but struggling to break 200#. Basically keto but cheating with beer, but trying to mostly cut back on weekday drinking. Might have to take a week off to break the 200# mark. Weekends are the toughest but I've been pretty good about not eating carbs most of the time. Beer is my one downfall. Shooting for 185 then build back to 195 with muscle in the fall mud season when it's harder to get outside, I'll join the gym.

Feeling pretty good though, sometimes too good, as in too much energy and no way to expend it all. Did a pretty big ride Sunday and crushed it and felt like I could do another.

The Nutrition Science thread

The 200 mark is brutal for me. I’ve been fairly consistent with 50/35/15 but as soon as I lose track (vacation? Wedding? Oh and my back goes out which suxx) and I’m back a couple over 200.

Mountain biking has been a super fun addition to my physical activity but my back goes out if I do it too much. Everything in moderation, I suppose, except crappy carbs. And always try and drink less. I wish beer wasn’t so good these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I’ve been fairly consistent with 50/35/15
    I am curious about this, I see people with these low carb diets, that are not the "very low carb" that is the keto diet. From what I have read, I assume that 15% carbs is too many carbs to keep one in ketosis (my quick calc says that is something like 75g of carbs). What is the benefit of a low carb but not low enough to be in ketosis diet?

The Nutrition Science thread

I don’t believe 50/35/15 lights your metabolism on fire and douses it with gasoline like FullKeto does, but from my understanding, some of the principles and benefits overlap. Important to note that I’m still using IF and trying to cut out all sugar and refined carbs, so ideally the carbs are slow-carbs or whole food derived. Everything should be whole food derived if at all possible.

I went with it because I doubted my internal discipline to stay keto. So far I’ve mostly been replacing fat with muscle more easily than when previously following a ‘diet’ closer to the food pyramid, despite a noticeable drop in my natural metabolic rate over the past few years which was never all that impressive to begin with. I’m 32.

I believe I’ve been told it is similar to Atkins?

Guess i'm doing the Bromontane diet now.

Knocked myself out of keto by over doing pecans and macadamia nuts, and have never gotten back, and kind of gave up.

py tortillas was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Tried 3 or 4 deferent brands, and they all suck, plus i was craving beans.

Doing pretty good at staying low carb, but not low enough to keto. Guessing i'm running 50 to 75 grams, where i should be 25 to 30 for keto.

My naughty items are pinto beans and corn tortillas. And super naughty is ice cream maybe once a month.

Haven't weighed in awhile, pretty sure i haven't gained back what i lost in keto, but also not losing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    <snip>

My naughty items are pinto beans and corn tortillas.
    Fuck any diet in which tortillas are a "no-no"... I mean, my GOD, people - think of the tacos!

I've been eating the low carb tortillas and don't mind them, but I'm no connoisseur. I've always just seen tortillas and a vehicle for my cheese and meat to ride on. I also don't really like corn torts much either. Really, cutting out carbs has been pretty easy for me. Not a big bread or fruit guy in the first place. I even started brewing some low carb beer that is pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I've been eating the low carb tortillas and don't mind them, but I'm no connoisseur. I've always just seen tortillas and a vehicle for my cheese and meat to ride on. I also don't really like corn torts much either.
    Seek help.