Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I predict the whole keto diet fad will fade quickly. It just doesn't seem like a sustainable diet for most people. Restrictive diets are bullshit in general. All things in moderation is my credo.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I predict the whole keto diet fad will fade quickly. It just doesn't seem like a sustainable diet for most people. Restrictive diets are bullshit in general. All things in moderation is my credo.
    will always have pockets, just like paleo. the things in all of those seem to be keeping out sugars and processed bread. until mcdonalds has a paleo menu, it's not a threat.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

I think that all a diet really does is get you to pay attention to what you are actually eating. Anyone who does that will eat less shit and lose weight.

Having looked at and considered the Keto diet recently, I think I'm going to go for it. Cutting back beer will be the hardest part but I might have a solution. Looking into brewing low carb beer that still tastes good for personal consumption...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I haven't tried bulletproof coffee yet, am gonna try that this weekend. Right now I am doing coffee with a splash of heavy cream and non-sugar sweetener, which is fine. But if I have trouble getting all the fats I need, that coffee could help.
    My wife's doing a modified keto...losing a bunch of weight. She has done the bullet proof coffee a couple times. I tried it..tastes pretty good. Most mornings she does heavy cream and non sugar sweetener.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I don't know about the prediction, but I agree with everything in moderation. You're allowed to treat yourself.

It's been around in one form or the other since the 19th century. But widespread popularity will always fade after a surge, because 1) most people actually don't lose that much fat, as opposed to the initial burst of lost water weight (they eat too much on it to lose more fat), and 2) yes it's very restrictive and hard psychologically to stay on. It can be close to a lifesaver for things like some forms of epilepsy, and short-term can help diabetics as well.

Paleo is funny because while it's technically junk science, and keto has better science behind it, Paleo is more sustainable and a lot of the dietary recommendations really aren't bad for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Good info in here. Along the lines of blood sugar, what's the story with cinnamon? Seems to be a lot of small studies in diabetics out there, but I don't see anything beyond theories as to why it's helpful.

I know a diabetic who eats a mini cinnamon roll most evenings because she says her blood sugar consistently tests better the next morning. Been at this for quite a few years now.
    A mini cinnamon roll seems like a less than ideal delivery device.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I think that all a diet really does is get you to pay attention to what you are actually eating. Anyone who does that will eat less shit and lose weight.
    That's a big part of it. For most people cutting "carbs" means cutting white flour fried in soybean oil. It's not like your average American is eating steel cut oats or whole buckwheat cereal on the reg.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Most mornings she does heavy cream and non sugar sweetener.
    Watch the sweeteners. The evidence that aspartame, sucralose, saccharin and stevia are implicated in weight gain, insulin resistance and impaired glucose tolerance is pretty strong at this point, though stevia is the least studied and a better choice than the others:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...angerous-ways/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4615743/

Erythritol seems pretty neutral. But, it has kind of a weird flavor and causes flatulence and gastric distress in some people just like all other sugar alcohols. Glycine, an amino acid that is almost as sweet as sucrose, is definitely good for you (https://link.springer.com/article/10...038-009-0100-9) and has no downsides that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Jumbo cinnamon roll it is.

All things in moderation is my credo.
    A lot of people have problems with moderation. If you're in that group a binary scenario can be the better option. Hell, I have pretty good self control but I don't keep potato chips in my house because one bag = one serving, even if I bought that bag at Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Paleo is funny because while it's technically junk science, and keto has better science behind it, Paleo is more sustainable and a lot of the dietary recommendations really aren't bad for most people.
    Paleo is the healthiest "by default." Sure, you can get into bullshit like "paleo" cookies made with almond flour, coconut oil and honey, but for the most part it's just whole foods. Whereas, you can eat keto, vegan, low-cal, IIFYM, etc. diets that are 100% processed garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I think just a teaspoon straight would be the way to go. Video's abound of people doing this so it must be good.

On a serious note, wife and I have been trying to work in a plant based meal once a week. Bean/legume based protein and whatnot. Never been much for recipes, but have the Forks Over Knives and The Feed Zone cookbooks that have a lot of really good looking recipes so we have made a plan to start incorporating some of these and maybe add a second day of the week for some of these. Just hard sometimes with schedules sometimes, but going to add to the routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Cinnamon Challenge FTW.

Cinnamon Challenge FTW.
    This is about how I'd imagine it going down:

Beans and rice are a new technology, and game-changers.

So much nutritional "science" is utter bullshit.
    And Paleo? You know cavemen lived only till like 25, right?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You know cavemen lived only till like 25, right?
    Wrong.

Pretty true of studies that use FFQs, which are well known to be garbage data. But, there's plenty of solidly settled science in this field.

If you completely misunderstand the meaning of life expectancy at birth and are equally ignorant of the common causes of death in the paleolithic age, then yeah, sure. Take a lap.

Life expectancy isn't the issue with Paleo. Cave girls and boys ate widely varied diets, depending on among other things where they lived. Then, agriculture happened, with plenty of time for evolutionary changes to spread through not just some humans, but our dogs also.

It's in that weird place of being a little off in its science (or rather really not derived from science), but still kind of functional and not a bad idea.

@stuckie: They got stomped by dinosaurs bruh, of course they didn't live long.

Paleo is the healthiest "by default." Sure, you can get into bullshit like "paleo" cookies made with almond flour, coconut oil and honey, but for the most part it's just whole foods. Whereas, you can eat keto, vegan, low-cal, IIFYM, etc. diets that are 100% processed garbage.
    FWIW the coconut oil and alternative flours are imo not bad either. If it means people aren't mainlining donuts quite so often. But a Paleo dessert cookbook is a funny contradiction.

Only the slow ones.

edit: ice got there first

Yeah that's actually what got me wondering--if it works so well that it still works despite that, or is it possible that she's seeing a down cycle following an up overnight? Hard to find strong data. I did ask her if she'd tried just taking a capsule or something to see if it's the same, but no luck. She's given up everything else, so probably wants to keep the cinnamon rolls pretty bad.

I'm adding cinnamon to tea as a way to make soymilk palatable at the end of the day, but that's a long story about bile and the inability to make stomach acid and I doubt it helps anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Bile sounds like an English snack.
    Spotted dickName:  ae3937594d1e8417e6e2ea43d939f387.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  95.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Bile sounds like an English snack.
    Some days it's miserable, but I don't think it ever gets quite that bad!

Sounds more like a punk rock band and/or singer.