Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    There's growing body of evidence suggesting Alzheimer's and dementia should be called type 3 diabetes because their root cause is resistance to insulin in the brain. Somewhat related is the fact that type 2 diabetes appears to be curable through fasting and/or low calorie diets which makes me wonder if Alzheimer's and dementia aren't preventable too with the right habits earlier on in life.

One thing to keep in mind is that fat is your energy source in the absence of carbs. Your focus should be fat intake, not necessarily meat. Add butter to your veggies. Make a salad with leftovers and douse it in high quality olive oil. Bulletproof-style coffee is delicious and a good way to incorporate fat. I say “style” because I didn’t buy into his specific brand of coffee and MCT.

Dan, MCT made me jittery as hell. Coconut oil worked for me because it was a more consistent source of energy and gave me a measurable boost in ketones. YMMV, and a good argument for tracking your blood ketone levels as you tweak your diet.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Coconut oil worked for me because it was a more consistent source of energy and gave me a measurable boost in ketones. YMMV, and a good argument for tracking your blood ketone levels as you tweak your diet.
    Recent research suggests coconut oil isn't as healthy as we once thought. It might be worthwhile to give it another look.

I haven't tried bulletproof coffee yet, am gonna try that this weekend. Right now I am doing coffee with a splash of heavy cream and non-sugar sweetener, which is fine. But if I have trouble getting all the fats I need, that coffee could help.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    no expert or even novice on keto; but for most any diet; I recommend spinach, broccoli, tomatoes and cook with olive oil.
    Skouger bringing the big news that vegetables are good for you. Keep on keepin' on, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    There's growing body of evidence suggesting Alzheimer's and dementia should be called type 3 diabetes because their root cause is resistance to insulin in the brain. Somewhat related is the fact that type 2 diabetes appears to be curable through fasting and/or low calorie diets which makes me wonder if Alzheimer's and dementia aren't preventable too with the right habits earlier on in life.
    Insulin resistance and hyperglycemia, even at mild levels, seems to be the root cause of a host of diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Recent research suggests coconut oil isn't as healthy as we once thought. It might be worthwhile to give it another look.
    IMO, oils in general should be used sparingly. Cold-pressed fruit oils (olive, avocado, coconut) are light years better than hexane-extracted seed oils, but it's still best to get your fats from whole-food sources if possible.

How your body regulates weight, fat storage and appetite goes way beyond gross energy balance.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320498.php

I normally find non-human obesity studies pretty boring, but this one is an exception. Researchers implanted rats and mice with weights equivalent to 15% of their body weight. Within a couple weeks they had lost an amount of body fat equivalent to the weight of the implants and returned to their pre-implant weight. Weight loss was solely the result of reduced food intake; the animals did not increase their physical activity. They got the same results using leptin-knockout mice, but not with mice deficient in osteocytes. Thus, our bones appear to have an osteocyte-dependent internal scale that regulates body fat storage and appetite independent of leptin. Pretty cool, and further evidence that the best way to not get fat is to sit on your ass as little as possible, but not simply because it burns more calories.

This keto diet is weird. Because it requires me to unlearn things that became second nature. Like, cooking veggies, now I can just smother them with butter rather than roast them with just a little olive oil. Or cheese, now I can eat the fuck out of it daily, rather than limit myself to just an occasional indulgence. But according to the keto pee strips I am in ketosis, and according to the scale I have lost a couple of pounds (probably all water weight). And it hasn't been a big struggle. ETA: and the bulletproof coffee is actually pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    How your body regulates weight, fat storage and appetite goes way beyond gross energy balance.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320498.php

I normally find non-human obesity studies pretty boring, but this one is an exception. Researchers implanted rats and mice with weights equivalent to 15% of their body weight. Within a couple weeks they had lost an amount of body fat equivalent to the weight of the implants and returned to their pre-implant weight. Weight loss was solely the result of reduced food intake; the animals did not increase their physical activity. They got the same results using leptin-knockout mice, but not with mice deficient in osteocytes. Thus, our bones appear to have an osteocyte-dependent internal scale that regulates body fat storage and appetite independent of leptin. Pretty cool, and further evidence that the best way to not get fat is to sit on your ass as little as possible, but not simply because it burns more calories.
    I read about that one. It's part of why I just got a standing desk at work (though I need to work on standing more). Also why I am trying to get a lot of walking in even when I don't exercise.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks for this thread.

Ramping up to get started on Keto, got my strips ordered, some low carb tortillas and konjac noodles.

Menu is pretty hard. Easy to keep the carbs down, but work to get the fat and protein levels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    ETA: and the bulletproof coffee is actually pretty good!
    Not gonna lie. That stuff really surprised me. Sounds disgusting, but it's actually good! While I probably won't make a habit of drinking it, I'll definitely be having it once in a while.

Skouger bringing the big news that vegetables are good for you. Keep on keepin' on, bro.
    um yes and no. it's these specific ones that are listed is so many preventions of so many different diseases or health issues. for example, carrots are on few lists and not worth the effort compared to what I listed.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

konjac noodles, never heard of those. Looks interesting.

Yeah, other than Mexican food. Haven't got too much figured out, hoping the kanjac stuff will work for spaghetti and stroganoff type dishes.

Have heard that zucchini sliced as pasta isn't too bad.

I've had the zucchini noodles, they're ok. They are fine as a sauce delivery device.

Gonna try fathead pizza tonight.

Fathead pizza is very filling, I use to just make the dough and cut it into chips for dipping in guacamole.

Another cool thing was all the classic butter sauces for putting on steals, chicken, or whatever.

https://www.omahasteaks.com/recipes/...s-Butter-Sauce

Almond flour in the cart! Fathead sounds good. Hopefully we can cunt this thread up with cooking help, or start another one.

Need to check more recipes, but i wasn't agreeing with the cook times for the Fathead recipe i saw. They were precooking the crust, and then adding toppings, which is nothing new. But then they barely gave the topped pie enough time to even warm toppings. Like 10 to 12 for the crust, and then 5 more with the toppings on.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Almond flour in the cart! Fathead sounds good. Hopefully we can cunt this thread up with cooking help, or start another one.

Need to check more recipes, but i wasn't agreeing with the cook times for the Fathead recipe i saw. They were precooking the crust, and then adding toppings, which is nothing new. But then they barely gave the topped pie enough time to even warm toppings. Like 10 to 12 for the crust, and then 5 more with the toppings on.
    I don't think recipes is thread drift for this thread.

I think my recipe called for 12-15 at 425 to cook the crust, took about 15 minutes or so for me. Then yeah, just long enough to melt all the ingredients (ie, cook them first if you need to because this step won't cook them). This is what I used as a guide (the g measurements for cheese/almond flour were annoying, but it's 1 1/2 cups, 3/4 cup respectively).

Mud, using it for chips sounds like a great idea, thanks!

I'm a bit of a "keto for medical purposes" pro as it was my daughter Dantheman mentioned in the other thread that was on a strict 4:1 ratio diet for the last 2.5 years for epilepsy. We gained seizure control after a week on the diet and I'm happy to say we are 10 days away from having her completely weaned off of the diet. I've been very critical of the word "keto" in the past due to my obvious biases going the medical route so I'll try to avoid that now. Biggest mistake I've read in this and other threads is over eating protein which converts to carbs if you aren't using it. Medical ketogenic diets are calorically restricted to prevent conversion. You just can't feast all day on cheese and bacon, that's Atkins.

Second is whoever said you can't have fruit. Berries, particularly raspberries, blackberries and Strawberries are a very low carb hit in keto. Watermelon is also right up there with berries. A great snack recipe, because you should be eating 3 meals and 3 snacks a day to keep your ketone levels steady would be something like 25 grams of whipped heavy cream, 5 grams of berries and 1.5 grams of semi sweet chocolate chips. (Scale up for your caloric intake, this is based on 986/day) You can even freeze it, sweeten with stevia or add some "Waldon's Chocolate Syrup" Waldons stuff is great for Keto.

For more recipe ideas, look up "Ketocuisine" it's 5:1 ratio baking mix, can be used for stuff like breads, pizza crust etc.

I'll keep some of the keto stuff in her diet, lots of butter, good oils etc. But, while we gained seizure control, the side effects were/are daunting. Her cholesterol was off the charts, she didn't grow in the last 2 years, was constantly constipated, took over 10 supplements per day and was always hungry. Add to that every birthday/holiday/school lunch where she had to abstain from eating "normal food like everyone else" there was a definite, and heartbreaking mental hit to a very young person. Now that her diet is regulating we will experience a massive, sometimes painful growth spurt while her body starts getting actual nutrition again.

That's my story with medical keto. We have a saying in my house that can help all you keto dieters.... "Butter makes everything better"

Yeah, would suck as a kid to miss out on all the good stuff.^^^

Will be interesting to see how my body reacts this time?

Did Atkins at lest 10 years ago or more, and lost lots of weight, but quit when my hair started to fall out. Never did lose my beer belly, guess gut fat takes longer?

I am actually planning on doing a study looking at Keto and muscle growth starting in the fall give or take. should be interesting since there is conflicting data on it in terms of quality of muscle/function

For you snackers, Macadamia nuts are the best, naturally 5:1 ratio. A solid 4:1 ratio snack would be 10 grams of berries + 11.5 grams nuts... again scale up for your caloric intake.

Why does some of the fat from bacon render, while some stays solid?
    What are the health differences of the two?

Why does Pork fat (from a shoulder etc) wash off the dishes easier than beef or chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    I am actually planning on doing a study looking at Keto and muscle growth starting in the fall give or take. should be interesting since there is conflicting data on it in terms of quality of muscle/function
    Very cool. Keto/low carb diets are certainly the rage for a lot of endurance athletes right now. Even Tim Noakes, who pretty much invented carb loading, has flipped a full 180 and is a staunch advocate for LCHF diets.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Those are Jenna Jameson in her prime kinda numbers.
    Made me lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Doing the ~100g-protein/day diet is extremely effective at building mass. If I was less of a bum when it comes to cardio, I'd just stay on a protein rich diet. 10-20g before/after workouts and more spaced throughout the day is an easy way to get yuge without too much dietary stress.
    Very cool. Keto/low carb diets are certainly the rage for a lot of endurance athletes right now. Even Tim Noakes, who pretty much invented carb loading, has flipped a full 180 and is a staunch advocate for LCHF diets.

The question is yes it can build with the protein, but the question is what is the quality like? I've shown HFD with lard as a source is really bad for growth response/resistance training. If Keto can keep muscle happily oxidative it could be good, or it can be getting bigger but shittier quality.

it stands to reason ketogenesis would benefit endurance performance in theory but is it more fuel substrate or ability to burn that causes it.

medium chain fats like Coconut oil/mct supposedly induce fat hydrolysis which is why they are thought to be good for weight loss. I am actually testing that now but no growth. gonna hopefully make that part of the fall thing.

try spaghetti squash - cut in half, bake with olive oil, salt & pepper. Delish
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.