Thread: Kayak Stripers

Kayak Stripers

Finally got a chance to get the kayak in the water. This time of year these fish are migrating north and coming into the bays and rivers to spawn. I got these guys in Sandy Hook Bay on the outgoing tide. Ended up with 6 pretty good fish all ranging from 30''-40''.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	967.8 KB 
ID:	235051

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1,006.9 KB 
ID:	235047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0112.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	353.3 KB 
ID:	235048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	934.5 KB 
ID:	235049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	235050

jgb@etree Guest
    Sweet! I was going to start a "Northeast Saltwater Fishing" thread this AM, but punted because all I've hauled in so far are schoolies. Lots of 'em, but nothing bigger than 22" just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Sweet! I was going to start a "Northeast Saltwater Fishing" thread this AM, but punted because all I've hauled in so far are schoolies. Lots of 'em, but nothing bigger than 22" just yet.
    I fish around NYC primarily. The bigger fish have shown up in numbers a little over 2 weeks ago. Are you further north?

Annual pilgrimage to Cape Cod coming memorial day weekend. Probably will only be on the cape sunday night through tuesday AM. Bourne/Falmouth area, hope to get some larger fish on the fly this time. Should be prime time for the bigger fish to be spawning in the flats/bays or am I just too late?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Big fish for sure right now in RB

I have a yak down the shore about an hour 30 from IBSP. If I can actually make it out sometime in the near future I'll shoot you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Annual pilgrimage to Cape Cod coming memorial day weekend. Probably will only be on the cape sunday night through tuesday AM. Bourne/Falmouth area, hope to get some larger fish on the fly this time. Should be prime time for the bigger fish to be spawning in the flats/bays or am I just too late?
    Nothing is spawing in New England really, but the fish will be around in solid numbers. Plenty of mackeral and herring for the stripes to be feeding on.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeLunker View Post
    I fish around NYC primarily. The bigger fish have shown up in numbers a little over 2 weeks ago. Are you further north?
    Right on. Yeah, I'm up in CT and mostly fish the middle and western parts of Long Island Sound. I've heard reports of some cows, but have only seen schoolies myself. Been throwing softbaits and bucktail jigs at them with pretty good results. Taking my son out on Saturday morning and we will see if any of the big boys want to bite on clams or sandworms.

Boat is docked in Black Rock Harbor, and I'm usually out on Friday AM's. Once I'm done coaching lax & soccer in mid June, I'll be out pretty much every Saturday & Sunday as well. If you ever feel like taking a drive north, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to take you out and do some fishing.

but, but, boat fish don't count

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Nothing is spawing in New England really, but the fish will be around in solid numbers. Plenty of mackeral and herring for the stripes to be feeding on.
    Since your location says the Cape I figure I'll ask.. do you know what the deal is with Monomoy lately? I heard the flats fishing took a hit about a decade ago when the channel between south beach and south Monomoy filled in. now I see a new cut in south beach at the top of north Monomoy that looks pretty established, which means it's probably been there a few years.

that and Google maps shows a fucton of seals on south Monomoy, way more than I ever remember seeing

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    but, but, boat fish don't count
    Boat fish on spinning gear, no less.

Since your location says the Cape I figure I'll ask.. do you know what the deal is with Monomoy lately? I heard the flats fishing took a hit about a decade ago when the channel between south beach and south Monomoy filled in. now I see a new cut in south beach at the top of north Monomoy that looks pretty established, which means it's probably been there a few years.

that and Google maps shows a fucton of seals on south Monomoy, way more than I ever remember seeing
    Monomy sucks now... the new cut changed all the currents and the seals have taken over... its really too bad, it was an amazing place to fish not too long ago.

Damn. Read kayaking strippers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Monomy sucks now... the new cut changed all the currents and the seals have taken over... its really too bad, it was an amazing place to fish not too long ago.
    that's a shame, probably one of the only places in the world you could catch 40"+ stripers in 2ft of water. it will come back eventually

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Right on. Yeah, I'm up in CT and mostly fish the middle and western parts of Long Island Sound. I've heard reports of some cows, but have only seen schoolies myself. Been throwing softbaits and bucktail jigs at them with pretty good results. Taking my son out on Saturday morning and we will see if any of the big boys want to bite on clams or sandworms.

Boat is docked in Black Rock Harbor, and I'm usually out on Friday AM's. Once I'm done coaching lax & soccer in mid June, I'll be out pretty much every Saturday & Sunday as well. If you ever feel like taking a drive north, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to take you out and do some fishing.
    Careful man I may take you up on that. I've actually been plotting to get my kayak into the Western Sound for the past few years. I keep hearing things about how great the porgy/tog/fluke bite is there.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Damn. Read kayaking strippers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Same...

But, spent the first 30 years of my life in that area of the cape, fishing and guiding, best Info I can give is-

Eels, nighttime, falling tide, at or just after a full moon. Put in the time. Best striper fishing I’ve ever had is after 10-11pm

Surfed the Highlands area on Saturday and small bass were being picked off in surf by a local fly guy....then surfed Lido (on LI) Wednesday and bass were rising rather often around me....very cool...typical only see that in fall(at least for me). RB and Jamacia seem to be great. Buddy of mine took a 26” fluke on a deep diver while trolling this morning in RB.

SpeLunk- where are you out of? I keep my CC in Huntington/CSH but trailer all over LI.

Jgb - I’m up your way a bunch too

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Surfed the Highlands area on Saturday and small bass were being picked off in surf by a local fly guy....then surfed Lido (on LI) Wednesday and bass were rising rather often around me....very cool...typical only see that in fall(at least for me). RB and Jamacia seem to be great. Buddy of mine took a 26” fluke on a deep diver while trolling this morning in RB.

SpeLunk- where are you out of? I keep my CC in Huntington/CSH but trailer all over LI.

I hope those 26'' fluke are still around when the season opens up.

I'm out of Hoboken

Hoboken eh? good times, puked on the train once

Kayak Stripers

Finally got a chance to get the kayak in the water. Ended up with 6 pretty good fish all ranging from 30''-40''.

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	967.8 KB 
ID:	235051

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1,006.9 KB 
ID:	235047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0112.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	353.3 KB 
ID:	235048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Size:	934.5 KB 
ID:	235049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	235050
    Nice haul. How common is that? That would be an exceptionally great day in my parts, the rivers/ mouths around Cape Ann, MA

jgb@etree Guest
    Careful man I may take you up on that. I've actually been plotting to get my kayak into the Western Sound for the past few years. I keep hearing things about how great the porgy/tog/fluke bite is there.
    No fear. Offer is open. Hit me up anytime you're interested in heading out on LIS.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Ditto on the open offer. Always cool to meet new mags & fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Nice haul. How common is that? That would be an exceptionally great day in my parts, the rivers/ mouths around Cape Ann, MA
    It's a pretty good day here too. Seems like many of the more avid kayak dudes I've talked to have been having a really good season.

Hoboken eh? good times, puked on the train once
    Hah! You fit right in then.

Nice. Way to get it!

Should have also prefaced my comment to say there are 5 year olds out there who fish better than I do, so there’s that.

Nice looking fish. Congrats!

Congrats! I'm a a newbie when it comes to fishing, but this is awesome!