Walk Mode- much easier to get into overlap boots (XT 130) with a fused ankle?

I'm 3 weeks out from a fused ankle and have been a long time Lange RS 130 user. Langes fit my feet well and I love the flex of 4 buckle boots so I'm thinking the XT 130 is probably about the closest to my current setup. I'm wanting to go stiffer than 130 so I'll probably be using Zipfits so my plan is to put the liners on first and then slip them into the boots and wondered if putting them in walk mode will make a big difference vs doing the same thing my RS 130s? How much softer is the flex of the XT 130 vs RS 130? I'm planning on bolting some Nordica Direct Drive front spoilers to the upper cuff of my boots so hopefully with Zipfits and the front spoilers will get me up close to 150 flex.

If walk mode makes a significant difference in how easy it would be to slip zipfits into warm (heated boot bag) shells than it's worth giving the XTs a shot but if doesn't make much difference then I may as well save my money and try to get into the RS 130s.

Thanks!

The xt will be a lot easier to get in than an RS.

Zipfits in an RS will not help much because of the angle. The xt (or the freetour) will be upright or more so, which will make it easier to get your foot in.

You may want to try them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Boot warmer, boot warmer, boot warmer.

I’ve spent 18 years with a fused ankle, way too many of them stupidly thinking I didn’t need one.

I don't have fused ankles, but I do put the liners on first and then slip into the boots with my XT 130s. Rumor has it that there will be a140-flex version for the fall, you may want to wait and see before modifying a pair of 130s.

They are definitely sensitive to temp; I made the mistake of letting mine sit in the back of the Xterra, away from any heat source, on a cold day and had a bitch of a time getting them on... But under normal circumstances, let alone with the shells actually warm, it's a very different story. I think you'll be fine with the heated boot bag.

Thanks for the input! In the case of the RS 130 vs RS 140 the only difference is the stiffer liner but the shells are identical so I'm wondering if that's the case with the new XTFree 140 of if they actually changed the plastic to make it stiffer. There are some good deals on the XT 130 right now so if it's likely only the liner that's difference then my Zipfits should more than compensate for the difference in liners and it's worth buying now to save a few hundred bucks. But if the liner will likely be similar and it's actually the plastic that's different then it could be worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Red7 View Post
    In the case of the RS 130 vs RS 140 the only difference is the stiffer liner but the shells are identical so I'm wondering if that's the case with the new XTFree 140 of if they actually changed the plastic to make it stiffer.
    Word on the street is the XTFree 140 is actually stiffer plastic, unlike the RS line.

But frankly, I've never found the walk mode to actually help get the boots on -- in fact, I usually lock the cuff on my touring boots so the back of the boot is smooth and I don't have to mess with getting my heel over the heel cup. Then again, I always put my liners on first, as was mentioned above.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Pretty sure the XT 140 Freetour Promodel will have a different shell. Also, check on those sale XT 130 Freetours - some of the cheap ones are first year models with WTR soles and no ISO 5355 retro-fit capability.

Yea, that's what I'm trying to find out cuz I hear some people say it doesn't make much difference in walk mode but I think those are usually people with healthy ankles where they can point their toes to get in. My RS 130s go on no problem and I haven't ever used a heated boot bag on them so if I had healthy ankles, I wouldn't bother using the walk mode.

But then a number of people suggest trying a boot with walk mode for my fused ankle and it makes sense on paper or when I watch a youtube video showing a Lange (or other) go from 12° forward lean to walk mode where it is maybe 12+° backward lean. With my RS 130, I think getting my now 90°ish ankle in will be like feeding a worm on a hook where I'd have to have my knee almost to the ground, start my toes in and then make the curve into the toe box (I'm exaggerating this as with heated up shells, even the RS 130 can be pulled opened up quite a bit). In walk mode, I'd think my fused ankle wouldn't have to make nearly as gnarly of a turn to in but this is speculation on my part as I haven't tried it yet.