TR: Couloirs Galore - 3 (possible) first descents in the Niut Range of BC

Almost two years ago, I stumbled across a photo taken by Chris Cooper, an older climber who several decades before had been taking yearly trips into the Pantheon and Niut Ranges of BC, near Mt. Waddington (a few hours hours Southeast of heli-ski mecca Bella Coola). The photo immediately struck my fancy and I knew I had to get out and ski the beauty of a couloir in the foreground.

Name:  15492511_10153941087146688_6113512903130012386_n.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  82.1 KB
    Look at that beauty!

After a long string of phone calls and Google Earthing, I managed to find the location of the line, nearby Niut Mountain. Neither Chris nor guides nor pilots at the nearby heli op had heard of the line (or even the area) being skied, which made things even more tempting.

After several months of checking weather this year, we finally got a good window two weeks ago, and flew in to try and ski what had become my white whale. The heli flight into basecamp showed us tons of sweet lines all around.

We skied these three. I've got a little writeup and some pics from inside each line on Instagram, links below for anyone who's interested in a little more:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2765.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	235010
    The White Whale - https://www.instagram.com/p/BiK8vOYgX_Q/ - This was the line we went for. It was as cool as it looked. We only skied the bottom step from just above the choke. From there getting to the top step would've involved a traverse out over a 50+ degree crust over facets over death exposure, and a climb up some more facets under a big cornice. We decided the exposure wasn't worth it. Somebody go claim that first full descent! I took a few measurements on the way up, and the main couloir was in the high 40s and low 50s, with one short bulge getting up to 55 degrees. Fun stuff. The lookers right line also looked like it would go with a bit of negotation at the bottom.

Name:	Photo Apr 26, 6 32 12 AM.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	235008
    Stroopie Couloir - https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQLKRKA2Qp/ - We skied the big, wide, double-fall chute from the saddle. I took several slope angle measurements at between 44 and 46 degrees. Great cruisy skiing and some of the only good snow we had on the trip. The far lookers left couloir looked like it went and would've been a really cool descent, but sadly with the warming we never got around to it.

Name:	Photo Apr 27, 6 54 50 AM.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	235006
    No Contact - https://www.instagram.com/p/BiSvKYhAyoe/ - This guy was quite short (800ft or so of vertical) but quite striking. Didn't do any slope measurements in here but I'd expect it was somewhere between the White Whale and the Stroopie Couloir, probably in the high 40s or so.

The zone was mindblowing, and it was incredible to get out there after staring at that picture for so long. None of the lines were huge, but the aesthetics were next level. Almost all of the lines were true north or true south, steep, and high walled. You could probably spend two weeks in there skiing new lines every day without running out of good stuff. Not too shabby.

Hopefully some more people are interested in going in and ticking off some of the remaining lines around. Shoot me a PM if anyone wants some beta.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Apr 26, 6 36 06 AM.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	1,000.7 KB 
ID:	235007  

Oh and if anyone knows if any of these have been skied before, let me know!

Been following on ig. Good stuff. Cool to see you adjusting and making it work with the varying temps. Nice lines. That whole range Bella, wad , Kiut is the Mecca

Sick work bud!

Always nice to see someone turn a dream into reality.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Bravo! Cool pics, awesome looking area.

Nice work! Super aesthetic!
    Master of mediocrity.

those are sick!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Yeehaw, nicely done

Awesome. Beautiful couloirs!

Sweet stuff! Setting a good example by keeping after the dream.

Thanks dudes, appreciating the support! Don't think there's a much better feeling out there than nabbing a line you've been eyeing for a while. I need someone to go up there and complete the descent from the tippy-top though

I'm reading the Unknown Mountain right now by Dan Munday. Him and his wife did the first serious recon in the Waddington area. What a wild place, love to get in there one day. I'll hit you up for beta if I get past the "sure like to get in there" phase. Awesome work man! Your 12 post per year average has a high ratio of quality.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I'm reading the Unknown Mountain right now by Dan Munday. Him and his wife did the first serious recon in the Waddington area. What a wild place, love to get in there one day. I'll hit you up for beta if I get past the "sure like to get in there" phase. Awesome work man! Your 12 post per year average has a high ratio of quality.
    Thanks!

I'd love to post more, but then people would realize that most of my time is spent behind a computer, meadow skipping, or doing laps at the resort :P

Do feel free to hit me up for beta if you do end up out there! I'd love to head up your way sometime too, this was my furthest trip up north and it definitely whet the appetite quite a bit.

Way to use the time off wisely

Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    Thanks!

I'd love to post more, but then people would realize that most of my time is spent behind a computer, meadow skipping, or doing laps at the resort :P

Do feel free to hit me up for beta if you do end up out there! I'd love to head up your way sometime too, this was my furthest trip up north and it definitely whet the appetite quite a bit.
    hahaha. No worries man. Love to show you around the Terrace area dude. Moving back in Sept 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Way to use the time off wisely
    Gotta put that unemployment to good use! Are you fully in bike season now? Hit me up if you’re interested in a last hurrah volcano ski or something!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    hahaha. No worries man. Love to show you around the Terrace area dude. Moving back in Sept 2019.
    You need to change your name if you’re not living there at the moment