Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Yeah, I think it was that bro attitude that caused a boarder to climb out of a chopper in Valdez and hoist his board into the blades of a chopper. I wouldn't want to ride with an idiot looking to get after it so hard he could kill a pilot and himself, as well as others, due to his 'get after bro' stupidity. That's some serious flatlander bullshit, DD.
    when we were flying out of Cordova, at the lodge we waited outside the LZ while the guide hauled and loaded our skis and packs--they didn't trust us to not stick something in the rotors. On the glaciers, we huddled in the LZ while the heli landed (almost) on top of us. The guide kept reminding us to keep looking at the helicopter, which is hard to do when it's blasting snow in your face as it lands.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    when we were flying out of Cordova, at the lodge we waited outside the LZ while the guide hauled and loaded our skis and packs--they didn't trust us to not stick something in the rotors. On the glaciers, we huddled in the LZ while the heli landed (almost) on top of us. The guide kept reminding us to keep looking at the helicopter, which is hard to do when it's blasting snow in your face as it lands.
    That's standard. When the heli is landing, the best place to be is in the 'heli-huddle' as the pilot can see you and the rotor wash is the least. Keep your eye on the heli and be ready to get out of the way in case he might land on you (wind-shift). When you walk toward the heli outside the rotor ring with your skis, drag by the tips with nothing above waist-high. Walk around the front and don't touch the pitot tubes. Never go behind the cabin toward the rear rotor, etc. Lots of things that can go wrong around a helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    That's standard. When the heli is landing, the best place to be is in the 'heli-huddle' as the pilot can see you and the rotor wash is the least. Keep your eye on the heli and be ready to get out of the way in case he might land on you (wind-shift). When you walk toward the heli outside the rotor ring with your skis, drag by the tips with nothing above waist-high. Walk around the front and don't touch the pitot tubes. Never go behind the cabin toward the rear rotor, etc. Lots of things that can go wrong around a helicopter.
    When I was a kid we went to DC. At the time the Smithsonian complex included the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, which had a museum. The museum had stuff like pieces of Lincoln's skull and Booth's bullet, legs amputated in the Civil War (one officer used to come to the museum to visit his leg), double headed babies in formalin, all the cool stuff. The highlight for me was the special exhibit they were running about helicopter rotor injuries, with lots of gory photographs. (The visit was memorable for my dad too; as we walked in he saw the name of his WWII commanding officer on the directory and got to visit with him.)

For me the hardest part of heliskiing was trying to get my seat belt buckled quickly with 4 big, heavily dressed guys crammed into the back seat of an A Star.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Yeah, I think it was that bro attitude that caused a boarder to climb out of a chopper in Valdez and hoist his board into the blades of a chopper. I wouldn't want to ride with an idiot looking to get after it so hard he could kill a pilot and himself, as well as others, due to his 'get after it bro' stupidity. That's some serious flatlander bullshit, DD.

edit: shit, Jake, hadn't heard that.....
    i flew a chopper in Nam budddd

i think i know a thing or two
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

So, that makes you about 70 years old? With the mentality of a 14 year old so, you've got that going for you.

I have a local aquaintence who back in the day used to guide out of Canmore, lost an arm I believe when the chopper turned over, seems to do fine with a hook
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

Did you know Chet S? He gave quite the show around Valdez. Loved to fly folks downhill, and was quite handy with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by dewam View Post
    Did you know Chet S? He gave quite the show around Valdez. Loved to fly folks downhill, and was quite handy with a firearm.
    I knew Charlie and even he couldn’t kill me
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Yeah, I was always told to stop uphill from the guide when cat or heli skiing.

And the second rule heli skiing, was never pick your skis up off the ground. Always drag them behind you. If you do, you buy beer. And they pay attention, because I bought beer.

As for the skis, I always bring my own. I tell anyone that has their own fat skis to take what they're comfortable on. I've seen intermediate skiers waste a few runs trying to figure out a different pair of skis.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Helicopter Skiing 101

It's been 15yrs already - ugh - but VHSG rule back then was to stop above the guides. No ifs, ands, or buts. It was pretty obvious why. I doubt they have changed it

Just recollecting on the one guy I met up there on Sugar Daddys. At 100mm they were by far the widest ski being used on that trip. They seemed sooo fat at the time lol
    Last edited by mcski; 05-17-2018 at 06:27 PM.

I decided not to discuss exact operational procedures since some operations have different ways of doing things. But, each operation has its own safety briefing before flying/skiing were clients are informed about things like stopping behind the guide, how many turns apart, etc.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Our first time (in AK anyway), right after the safety briefing where they explicitly told us not to go under the rotor disc without a guide, we went straight outside and took photos right next to the heli...under the rotor disc. Ugh. Guide was pissed and we learnt a lesson. Took a few runs to get back in his good graces. A good rule of thumb is to listen to the guide, because if he/she doesn't think you are a good listener, he/she will be less apt to trust you in the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    A good rule of thumb is to listen to the guide, because if he/she doesn't think you are a good listener, he/she will be less apt to trust you in the terrain.
    bingo
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Helicopter Skiing 101

And all guides are not created equal. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Their perception that you are listening is what counts
    Last edited by mcski; 05-19-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    bingo
    I echo what shredgnar and Buster said.

When we were skiing Cordova this year we were skiing one at a time, except when we got to the very low angle. good thing as I got partially buried--head and one forearm out. fortunately my son was still above me, because the guide was way down the hill and if I had to count on the other 2 guys in the group I'd still be buried.

Halsted

Thx for posting. Your blog is very informative.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

First rule: listen to your guide
    Second rule: see rule #1

Unless you show the guide that you are capable both riding and responding in an incident you will not get"the Gnar"

Now to the man who flew copters in Nam I give mad respect. No other pilots that I have flown with ( while still skilled ) were a big step below the Nam pilots. That was a nasty place to be a heli pilot , maybe the worst war for heli pilots to be in.

Another one I’ve seen is closing the sliding windows when somebody gets chilled - that’ll earn you a strong “you’re a fuckin idiot” shake of the head and a comment to leave it open. I’ve always wondered how many “as yet unsoiled microfibre cloths” a true mountain pilot carries.

Good tips on the listening thing. Also give some effort in the beacon scenarios - It also goes into the trust factor and determines your gnar outcomes

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    In no particular order, our local pilot will freak when: you show up to the LZ wearing caulk boots, when the interior glass fogs and you attempt to wipe it with anything but his issued and as yet unsoiled microfibre cloth, if you don’t fasten the seat belt behind you prior to exit, you exceed the 1” slam on any door to close it, anything in the LZ in unfastened or loose, and if anything is carried above the waist to or from the aircraft. Oh, and better declare any bear spray or compressed gas cylinders BEFORE loading the aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Now to the man who flew copters in Nam I give mad respect.

Probably not many of them left.
    Chet was the man.

Tip: if you're the second passenger to exit, don't forget to clip the door side seatbelt back together before exiting - that really pisses the guides off. That's why they typically want you to sit in the same order every time so it doesn't mess up the routine. Also, strap your skis together as tightly as possible so the poles stay straight and don't snag anything.

If you suffer from cold toes / feet, you're not going to have much opportunity to warm them up once out on the glacier and the heli itself is chilly. Buy heated socks or footbeds, possibly with backup batteries.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Tip: if you're the second passenger to exit, don't forget to clip the door side seatbelt back together before exiting - that really pisses the guides off. That's why they typically want you to sit in the same order every time so it doesn't mess up the routine. Also, strap your skis together as tightly as possible so the poles stay straight and don't snag anything.

If you suffer from cold toes / feet, you're not going to have much opportunity to warm them up once out on the glacier and the heli itself is chilly. Buy heated socks or footbeds, possibly with backup batteries.
    Heli chilly enough inside to be able to use normal goggle a anti-fog strategies? I.e. don't breathe when bending down to adjust buckles, keep the insides dry, half cock them on the brim inside, control body temperature etc...

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Heli chilly enough inside to be able to use normal goggle a anti-fog strategies? I.e. don't breathe when bending down to adjust buckles, keep the insides dry, half cock them on the brim inside, control body temperature etc...

Sometimes I’d pop them up on my helmet, sometimes not. No fogging issues. As far as adjusting boots goes, it’s pretty cramped so you can’t really do much. If you want to loosen your buckles between runs you need to do it before climbing aboard. Of course there are different sized heli's out there but this is likely true more often than not.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 11-18-2021 at 08:53 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

What about flying with your dog?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0127911C-DA6D-4007-BAC1-0B155EAFBD1B.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	393126
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sometimes I’d pop them up on my helmet, sometimes not. No fogging issues. As far as adjusting boots goes, it’s pretty cramped so you can’t really do much. If you want to loosen your buckles between runs you need to do it before climbing aboard. Of course there are different sized heli's out there but this is likely true more often than not.
    Tyx! Great info!