Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Helicopter Skiing 101

I added a new essay on to my website www.heliskihistory.com

The new essay is Helicopter Skiing 101. I try to answer just about all the questions that newbie skiers have about going heliskiing.

Check it out at: https://www.heliskihistory.com/evolutions

I have also added a couple of essays and links to current and past heliski operations histories.

https://www.heliskihistory.com/operations

Cheers....
    PS: Oops, a couple of pictures moved. I have to correct them.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Some tips sound like decent advice, some tips (including clothing related) sound awfully gaperish. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

the static electricity detail was something I'd never heard of...

Never touch the helicopter until it lands, because the helicopter builds-up a big static electrical charge while flying. These electrical shocks have caused folks to wet their pants or worse.

Who the fuck is running into the LZ before the chopper lands? That sounds dangerous and like you'd deserve wetting your pants.
    Also sounds like BS, since military and rescue ops often involve the chopper just hovering near the ground or above the treetops.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Happened to me in AK in 2002. Group was huddled in the pickup zone and the wind blew a skid into my shoulder before the heli touched down. Shocked the fuck out of me. Can't say I wet myself though.

Who the fuck is running into the LZ before the chopper lands? That sounds dangerous and like you'd deserve wetting your pants.
    Also sounds like BS, since military and rescue ops often involve the chopper just hovering near the ground or above the treetops.
    I don't know squat about this, but I think hacksaw is just a wee bit of a more authoritative source than you.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

did you write that 5 years ago?
    off your knees Louie

Military helo pilot for 20 years. I've seen guys get knocked off HMMWVs because they forgot to touch the grounding stake to the cargo hook before attaching the sling. It's real and it can be significant.

No one is running to the LZ. You are in the LZ, basically directly below the heli. It seems like it is going to land on top of you, and practically does.

Sorry, sideways, but this should give a sense for it.

[quote][//quote]

Always been warned about the static charge.

Also just a huddle and the bird comes to you. However, at times it has landed before you arrive...in that case our guide had us wait, he skied down and established our zone. Then one at a time walk to the bird w skis low.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Military helo pilot for 20 years. I've seen guys get knocked off HMMWVs because they forgot to touch the grounding stake to the cargo hook before attaching the sling. It's real and it can be significant.
    When are you taking us heli skiing!? I'll bring the beer.

I wrote about the static charge effect because I actually had it happen to someone in my group.

As for too much "gaperish advice," oh well.....

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Some tips sound like decent advice, some tips (including clothing related) sound awfully gaperish. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
    What sounds gaperish? What's wrong with the clothes advice? The expedition weight base layer might be overdoing it for a lot of days but obviously it depends on how cold it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I wrote about the static charge effect because I actually had it happen to someone in my group.

As for too much "gaperish advice," oh well.....
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What sounds gaperish? What's wrong with the clothes advice? The expedition weight base layer might be overdoing it for a lot of days but obviously it depends on how cold it is.
    Specifically the recommendation that you use voile straps to tie your cuffs down because boot gaiters dont work in 2ft of fresh powder? huh? Just kinda seems like clothing recommendations based upon stuff from 20+ years ago when decent goggles, wrist gaiters and powder skirts werent a thing.

Lots of other interesting tidbits in there though that a newbie to heliskiing wouldnt know about. Interesting read.

Specifically the recommendation that you use voile straps to tie your cuffs down because boot gaiters dont work in 2ft of fresh powder? huh? Just kinda seems like clothing recommendations based upon stuff from 20+ years ago when decent goggles, wrist gaiters and powder skirts werent a thing.

Have you heli skied in AK? I'd take any advice that I could get to maximize my ability to crush as much vert as possible without having to fuck with cold hands or feet, or make the group head back to the lodge early because your boots are soaked. Have you ever had your gaiters ride up? SOP for boot packing in deep snow at Silverton is to wrap the bottom of your pants w/ duct tape to prevent them from riding up. Seems like the Voile straps would be feasible. Hardly a reason to shit on Hacksaw's article.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Have you heli skied in AK? I'd take any advice that I could get to maximize my ability to crush as much vert as possible without having to fuck with cold hands or feet, or make the group head back to the lodge early because your boots are soaked. Have you ever had your gaiters ride up? SOP for boot packing in deep snow at Silverton is to wrap the bottom of your pants w/ duct tape to prevent them from riding up. Seems like the Voile straps would be feasible. Hardly a reason to shit on Hacksaw's article.
    Ive dealt with my fair share of armpit deep snow both inbounds and in the BC and never ever had any issues with pant gaiters riding up. nor has anyone ive been out with. The kincos gloves that have kept my hands warm in negative (farenheit) storm day temps, and dry throughout a PNW winter seem like a better option than the expensive unknown. Maybe i'm just lower maintenance than most folks.

And im hardly shitting on the article, sorry youre so sensitive about a random internet stranger disagreeing with another random internet stranger about a small part of the information provided his very large, expansive, and informative website. i hope we both get to ride in a bird one day and test out whose dress works better

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Put me down as another of the shock-shy. Many days slinging gear during wet days and get jolted with each lift attached. Trying to throw the map ring onto the hook was tempting but never effective. I guess the repeated shock therapy over time just made me the balanced, calm individual I am today.

Well, fuck me silly.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Specifically the recommendation that you use voile straps to tie your cuffs down because boot gaiters dont work in 2ft of fresh powder? huh?
    Well, the Voile straps around the cuff of my pants comes from heliskiing and working for CAIC, where I spent a lot of time postholing around in snowpits, etc... My Pataguchie and Arcteryx pants powder cuffs have ridden up on a number of occasions for me. The straps also double as a secondary bundling strap if someone happen to lose their strap.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    When are you taking us heli skiing!? I'll bring the beer.
    Can you also bring a helicopter? I did take the 10th Special Forces heli-skiing in the German Alps in 1989. Blackhawk may be a bit of overkill but it is very forgiving for someone with rusty high altitude skillz.

The kincos gloves that have kept my hands warm in negative (farenheit) storm day temps, and dry throughout a PNW winter seem like a better option than the expensive unknown. Maybe i'm just lower maintenance than most folks.
    The Kincos glove comment tells me all I need to know about your evaluation and criticism of the article. You only understand your experience and don't seem able to evaluate things for a broader group of people. If I took those gloves out for a normal day at the resort I'd have to head into the lodge after every run. And on a heli trip, having gloves like that would be disastrous. I get that those gloves work well for some people, but I also get that they're a TERRIBLE choice for others. Do you?

And for an advice article like this, way better to suggest things that might be overkill for some but necessary for others.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've only been heli skiing once, in AK, and had no problems in deep snow with snow getting up my pants nor did I see any of the guides wearing straps around their ankles, but it seems like good advice if someone does have a problem with it. As far as gloves go--if you're going for a week seems like a warm option and a less warm option would be a good idea. I bought a pair of BD guides for cold trips away from CA--first trip I took them on (JH) I wound up using them without the liners. I got wise and took a second pair after that and I've only used the Guides a couple of days total.

Again based on my limited experience--DAF (dextrous-as-fuck) gloves seem like a good idea on a helitrip. You're always messing with pack straps, possibly radios, seat belts, etc. CAF (cheap-as-fuck) as I am, Hestra Job gloves (Winter CZone Pro) are a nice lower priced alternative to Kincos--much more dextrous.

I don't think someone's gear recommendations that disagree with someone else's are grounds for getting pissy. Hopefully anyone going on a heli trip will have enough resort experience to figure out if Hacksaw's clothing advice will work for them.

This video in the comments of the thread is crazy.

https://youtu.be/9tzga6qAaBA

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Can you also bring a helicopter? I did take the 10th Special Forces heli-skiing in the German Alps in 1989. Blackhawk may be a bit of overkill but it is very forgiving for someone with rusty high altitude skillz.
    Bobby is apparently stoopid wealthy, so I'm sure he can round one up for us.