Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'd like to go heli skiing but I don't think I could handle the whole jumping out of the helicopter with my skis on deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    I'd like to go heli skiing but I don't think I could handle the whole jumping out of the helicopter with my skis on deal.
    Skiers are such pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    This video in the comments of the thread is crazy.

https://youtu.be/9tzga6qAaBA
    Yeah, like they say, it’s not the volts that will kill you, it’s the amps. As long as there isn’t a path to ground you’re OK. It’s like a bird sitting on a high voltage wire.

2:40 if you are in a hurry

1:00

A buddy was telling me they have a landing platform for choppers ON the high voltage lines out at Kemano for working on the lines and avanche control, its way the fuck up on the line and seriously in the middle of nowhere
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Nothing to do with helicopters, something to do with electricity--
    Electrician was working on the wires of the Lincoln Chair at Sugar Bowl. Rather than climb the towers he rode the chair to a tower, they stopped the chair, he stood on the chair, then on the top of the backrest, then on the top of the safety bar (in the up position) and from there he could reach the platform at the top of the tower. Not safe using the chair with the safety bar up!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post

2:40 if you are in a hurry

1:00
    Notice that they duct tape their cuffs on their wrists and ankles. Probably to keep the powder out. Someone should tell them about Voile straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

And for an advice article like this, way better to suggest things that might be overkill for some but necessary for others.
    Thanks, that was sort of what I was thinking as I wrote the essay.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I remember coming in at end of day in Valdez they made us stay in bird until rotor totally stopped spinning.

We got out and I lugged my heavy asfuck Big Daddies to the side they heaved them up on my shoulder without looking. As they arced over my head I looked up to see them miss the end of the stationary rotor blade by 1/2 inch.

Omg I looked over at guide who saw it and his eyes bugged out and he did a very stifled hush finger to lips . I slinked away to find beer . If anything so much as dings into those things it is mandatory rebuild/ inspection. $100k easy

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Who the fuck is running into the LZ before the chopper lands? That sounds dangerous and like you'd deserve wetting your pants.
    Also sounds like BS, since military and rescue ops often involve the chopper just hovering near the ground or above the treetops.
    those looking to get after it, bro
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

In no particular order, our local pilot will freak when: you show up to the LZ wearing caulk boots, when the interior glass fogs and you attempt to wipe it with anything but his issued and as yet unsoiled microfibre cloth, if you don’t fasten the seat belt behind you prior to exit, you exceed the 1” slam on any door to close it, anything in the LZ in unfastened or loose, and if anything is carried above the waist to or from the aircraft. Oh, and better declare any bear spray or compressed gas cylinders BEFORE loading the aircraft.

Yeah the 1st time I flew into osalinka out of Mcbride the pilot was pretty anal, a whole bunch of instructions, don't do this don't do that, told us a seat belt buckle out side the door could be worth 10k of damage, and then you get some guys who don't shut down or talk to you ... Just get in and go

You don't wear caulks in the truck do you... That's just rong

Having been part of a work crew that left a seat belt hanging out a door I can assure you that no one ends up happy after that occurs. Always buckled back together on the seat.

Helicopter Skiing 101

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You don't wear caulks in the truck do you... That's just rong
    I haven’t worn caulk boots in 20+ yrs, never could find a leather pair that fit well, and never had luck with resoling a hiking boot for that purpose. But ya, when I wore them, and most every other bush worker that wore them never took them off just for getting in the work truck. Moving from site to site they stayed on. Only came off at the end of the day. Maybe.

Isn’t like 01:30 in the AM in Barcelona? Get yourself to bed old fella!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I haven’t worn caulk boots in 20+ yrs, never could find a leather pair that fit well, and never had luck with resoling a hiking boot for that purpose. But ya, when I wore them, and most every other bush worker that wore them never took them off just for getting in the work truck. Moving from site to site they stayed on. Only came off at the end of the day. Maybe.

Isn’t like 01:30 in the AM in Barcelona? Get yourself to bed old fella!
    I like to wear the orange rubber boot type for running saw to killi trees, I just wear em with a Bama or super heavy wool socks for a good fit but they go on & off once a day but never wear them in a truck.
    I worked with a dendrochronoligist who told me he wore his on the west coast trail and they were great but if you are gona be around salt water replace the spikes with the ceramic cuz you won't get them out after they rust but you won't need to

Yeah I always re buckle a seat belt before I get out

Yeah it was late....up being drunk eh

Ahhh I miss the orange Vikings... Not being allowed to wear them saved my butt when we biffed it in a random lake in north sasky on way to the grid

My work partner less lucky, he didn't have corks in heavy boots he was allowed to wear. Not good swim wear. He couldn't swim anyway fwiw. He drowned in my arms as we struggled to shore. Shitty way to start the day. Fucking helicopters

I remember that story now, a shitty story but good thing you made it

There is no pool on the res so a lot of FN can't swim,

Thank you, I was interested in getting feed-back. I’m surprised that there have been so many comments about the static electric charge and the use of straps around the boot tops. Thanks…

How about a section on managing your guide?
    In my few experiences, I've found that paying attention to what the guide says and trying to do exactly what they describe, spending some cycles to clarify directions, is a smart move.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    How about a section on managing your guide?
    In my few experiences, I've found that paying attention to what the guide says and trying to do exactly what they describe, spending some cycles to clarify directions, is a smart move.
    That's a fact. I've had occasions where the guide muttered something then was off. We're standing there; "What did he say?" "I dunno, something about me going first." Swoosh...

Skiing with a guide on glaciers in Chamonix the rule was stop above the guide; he might be standing on the edge of a crevasse. Skiing with a guide in AK the rule was stop below the guide so you don't hit him with your sluff.

The ops I've been with in BC require stopping above the guide. Could be on a glacier (crevasses) or in the trees with cliff bands. Never skied AK so didn't know that rule but yeah, I get that.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    those looking to get after it, bro
    Yeah, I think it was that bro attitude that caused a boarder to climb out of a chopper in Valdez and hoist his board into the blades of a chopper. I wouldn't want to ride with an idiot looking to get after it so hard he could kill a pilot and himself, as well as others, due to his 'get after it bro' stupidity. That's some serious flatlander bullshit, DD.

edit: shit, Jake, hadn't heard that.....