Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Annual mountain bike maintenance?

I finally got around to picking up a repair stand with the goal of doing more of my own bike maintenance. Trying to figure out what I should be doing annually as preventative maintenance. Do you bleed your brakes? Fork service? What should I be looking at on YouTube to edjumacate myself?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I finally got around to picking up a repair stand with the goal of doing more of my own bike maintenance. Trying to figure out what I should be doing annually as preventative maintenance. Do you bleed your brakes? Fork service? What should I be looking at on YouTube to edjumacate myself?
    Easy stuff: New chain. Fresh tire sealant. Fresh shifter cable. Brake bleed. Fresh brake pads. Check bolts for torque and spokes for tension.

More advanced: Suspension pivot service. Fork or rear shock rebuild.

Get a current copy of the Big Blue Book. It's a handy reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Easy stuff: Measure chain stretch. Fresh tire sealant. Fresh shifter cable. Brake bleed. Rub brake pads on sand paper, wipe discs with brake clean. Check bolts for torque and mark with torque seal, and check spokes for tension.

More advanced: Suspension pivot service. Fork or rear shock rebuild. Go to the manufacturer's site or YouTube channel.

Get a 6 pack and a current copy of the Big Blue Book. It's a handy reference. Put your bike in the stand, crack a beer, and read through it.
    Fixed a few things so that you don't have to spend on things you don't necessarily need...which leaves more money for beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-xc-...ke-621685.html

I wrote this for the transrockies, for when it was a suffer fest, rather then a day stage race. I now forward this to tour divide riders/racers, that start in banff (my home)

Everything Sirshred mentioned plus removing, cleaning, re-greasing the bottom bracket and cranks. Also, if you don't replace all the suspension bearings, at least remove all the pivot axles and clean, re-grease and torque them all to spec. once a year too.

Pump tires, lube chain, hold grip from one side of bike and lean it away from you to get a good look. Shake head in approval and ride.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Pump tires, lube chain, hold grip from one side of bike and lean it away from you to get a good look. Shake head in approval and ride.
    This.

I’ll also give the brakes a good squeeze, shift through a few gears, and make a few clucking noises with my tongue that are approval/disapproval neutral, but that signify a high level of competence.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    This.

I’ll also give the brakes a good squeeze, shift through a few gears, and make a few clucking noises with my tongue that are approval/disapproval neutral, but that signify a high level of competence.
    Don’t forget to bounce it a couple times on the tires to listen for any new rattles or strange noises. Disregard the noises and ride.

Check your chain length (12" is 12 links)
    Replace if necessary.
    This could save you a LOT of money.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'm changing my answer to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Rotate suspension bearings a quarter turn.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For the average garage mechanic, removing pivot bolts and greasing/re-torq seems like a recipe for disaster.

I would suggest that as a shop item.

I can get around just about everything except for shock/fork rebuilds and pivot work. Some things are worth the peace of mind to let the pros handle them.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I do a pretty damn thorough overhaul of the families bikes. I pump up my tires and lube my chain. Turn up the tunes until the noise can’t be covered up then work on my own bike.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

My annual maintenance is change the chain, whether it needs it or not.

Other than that - nada. Just fix what needs fixin' when it needs fixin'...

Stand beside your bike and put both hands on the grips. Squeeze the front brake and then compress the fork a few times up and down. If that feels “good” your bike is in great shape. Stand back, admire your bike, and then go waste time on the internet while drinking a beer cause your spring maintenance is done.

This thing is inexpensive:
    https://www.parktool.com/product/cha...category=Chain

Just clean the dang thing between rides and check for stretch on a semi-regular basis.
    I do 2 or 3 chains per cassette life, but I honestly don't keep track that closely.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Are all chain link-lengths the same? So does this tool work for 8/9/10/11/12 speed chains?

Yes. All MTB chains are 1/2x3/32. Only the external width changes. Max stretch on 11/12 is recommended as 0.5% compared to 0.75% for 8/9/10.

For 12 speed, you have to buy the Lizard-approved titanium version.
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    For 12 speed, you have to buy the Lizard-approved titanium version.
    Sorry.

Welp so much for preventative maintenance. Looks like a small crack forming where the top tube meets the seat tube on my Anthem. Off to the shop to try a warranty claim.

First ride of year precheck
    Air up tires
    Check pressure on suspension
    Check that chain is clean
    Check that brakes hold
    Bleed brakes (Only needed for Avids)
    Spin wheels
    Top up hydration pack(*)
    Saddle up and ride

(*)Went for 2 hr ride this AM, drank water left in bladder since November. No problems yet...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    My annual maintenance is change the chain, whether it needs it or not.

Other than that - nada. Just fix what needs fixin' when it needs fixin'...
    apparently, I am excellent bike mechanic!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You should be on top of maintenance ongoing,

I got a buddy who now rides a chair instead of his bike as a result of deferrintg maintenance

I check the chain, check spoke tension and for how much I ride usualy change it once a year , I had to add some fluid to tires if they are not holding air, check for firm brake levers lube a few things and that's about it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know