Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I have an axis of rotation problem on 360's too; so trying to get some repetition on 180's, switch takeoffs, and switch landings. Hopefully next year I will get good 360/540's . Thanks for the link to empire tutorial and the T, and hope you heal well!

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    if anybody’s got tips on dialing in their switch 360, post them up. I struggled with that this year...
    Where is your issue? Can you take off and land switch easily? Assuming you can switch 1, what goes wrong when you try to add the extra 180? Are you comfortable popping switch? Can you comfortably zero spin the same jump?

Not being snarky, it's just hard to help without more info. I watched the video to see where you might be going wrong but had trouble telling since it was all in reverse...

My guess is that it's a balance issue. You're probably just rotating your hips when you switch 180, but you're not comfortable actually spinning your head without getting off balance. (If you skate/snowboard, it's kinda like the difference between frontside and backside 180.) If that's true, you could practice blender sw 1s -- where you look over the opposite shoulder than the direction you're planning to spin. This might help you get used to rotating your head and spotting your landing from a switch take off. And you could also practice switch unnatural blender 1s and zero spins (try it looking over each shoulder, and then switching shoulders mid-air) to get the balance down.

One weird thing -- at least for me since I ride rails right foot forward (skate/snowboard goofy) but naturally spin left -- is switch onto rails means a switch unnatural/right 1 on to slide the rail right foot forward. So I actually found it easier to dial in unnatural switch spins for a while because I spent a lot of time going switch onto rails. YMMV. I never learned how to ride rails unnatural.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 05-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Hmmm, letís see: when Iím in the park, I wear MTB pads under my Arcteryx shell, my boots have tech fittings and a walk mode, and I smell like Icy Hot with a whiff of desperation mixed in. So I guess thatís closer to relaxed fit jeans and golf shirts than Tall Ts?
    Swap out the Arcteryx shell for a Members Only jacket and you'll have it dialed. Beyond that, I have nothing to add other than Trix are for Kids. Good luck with the knee and with the switch 360. (For what it's worth, I could never land a straight 360 but was on fire with straight 270's...ask my shoulders...)

I'm 30 so not old yet, but this thread has me stoked. Used to ski park a bit in middle/high school and I need to get back into things slowly first, but I always wanted to learn how to sw cork 5, and now I want to learn butter spins, too, which weren't really a thing back when I was into the park scene.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Shedd- yeah, that T set 360 will help you stay on axis. Gotta make sure your eyes/head stay up too when setting the spin, itís so easy to look down in the direction of the spin on takeoff.

Auvgeek- thanks for the feedback. Honestly, this was the first year I tried switch 360s, and I only got a handful of attempts because my knee still isnít 100%. All my attempts were switch blender 3s: skiing in switch looking over the right shoulder, then turning head and body to the left at the lip to spin a left switch 360. Havenít been able to land it cleanly yet.
    Switch 180s, natural and unnatural, are fine on small jumps. I did a lot of zero spins this year (in part because 360s felt weird on my knee), which was a pretty new trick for me too. Like you, I spin left naturally on jumps but ride rails/boxes left foot forward. I need more practice at unnaturals on both.

GM- thanks for the apparel advice and the well wishes

How about old man park SKATING for the summer months? Gotta knock more rust off these trucks LOL!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Hells yeah SJG! Get some on that skateboard this summer!

Auvgeek - I realized just now that I had misread what you said above. You are right handed, you spin naturally left off jumps, but you ride rails right foot forward (goofy)?

Lastly: Windells Adult park camp still has spots open for the week of July 6-13. I’m 99% committed to going, hopefully recruiting a few local old men too. If anyone else from the TGR community wants to come, please
    do. The open spots will not appear on their website. Call 503-206-8520 if you’re interested.

@DGamms

You bastard. I'll be 52 before the next ski season rolls around, and now you've made me really consider trying to get a 360 - my first ever - this next year.

I'm sure I'm not the oldest guy to try to toss a 360, but I'm not looking forward to the slam-fest either.
    Suggestions?
    [I'm in PDX, so Windells is not far away - but not sure I'm up for that. What's the cost, approx? I'm cheap, so that's probably not happening. ]

And BTW, sweet video. Really liked 'em. Awesome work!

I was just shown this old thread (thanks ill-advised strategy); it seems tangentially related, and the featured Mag is still active here, so:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...99#post4974999
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    @DGamms

You bastard. I'll be 52 before the next ski season rolls around, and now you've made me really consider trying to get a 360 - my first ever - this next year.

I'm sure I'm not the oldest guy to try to toss a 360, but I'm not looking forward to the slam-fest either.
    Suggestions?
    [I'm in PDX, so Windells is not far away - but not sure I'm up for that. What's the cost, approx? I'm cheap, so that's probably not happening. ]

And BTW, sweet video. Really liked 'em. Awesome work!
    Thanks gregorys!

You aren’t too old to learn a 360, promise. My old man park partner was 44yo when he did his first 360 ever in my back yard, and 1.5 seasons later he is doing them consistently off 35-40 ft table tops.

But you will be subject to rule #1 of Old Man Park Skiing from the first post in this thread: acknowledge the risk, know that you will get hurt at some point to some degree, and make sure the risk/reward balance makes sense for you.

As for Windells, yeah it is pricey. Short of an on snow coach, I still think the best way to work up to your 360 is do your YouTube homework (Stomp It Tutorials, Empire Tutorials, Ski Addiction) and practice slow floaty 360s on a trampoline. Spin both ways, try not to wind up, and keep your eyes/head up on the horizon line as you spin.

It’s the off season so your on snow options are limited anyway