Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Just ski down there and jump off something, for crying out loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lovin’ the McConkey reference

I'm old and hit the park. Nothing major. I love loooooong low boxes. Spring time booters if they are good will see me bust out 360's and 180's. Been 3 years since 540. I'm 42 and love park laps. Feels good to get that off my chest...

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    I'm old and hit the park. Nothing major. I love loooooong low boxes. Spring time booters if they are good will see me bust out 360's and 180's. Been 3 years since 540. I'm 42 and love park laps. Feels good to get that off my chest...
    Hells yeah, jetski! No shame in it. Own that old man park love!!!

I had never done more than a few successful 360s until this last season, and had never even considered a 540.

But my number of attempted 360s clocked in at almost three hundred for the season for 2017-18, and I managed to land a few 540s late in the year too.

All that to say: here’s to you owning those 540s next year!

At 44 and after some major injuries it's been quite a trip to get in the park and feel like a jong this year. Scary too! Kids are so lucky to have them and its amazing to see what they're doing. I never get tired of smooth straight airs. Somehow I never learned 360s all my life - mustered up the balls to work on them last week. Only landed one, slammed 10 times. But that one make was so sweet! First I couldn't get the pop or rotation. Worked out the pop doing 180s. At first I was winding up, but this was setting my rotation too early (led me to be off access and/or catch tails on the slushy lip). I switched to a T-set (see the empire tutorial on this) and focused on popping first and then rotating. This was a huge help to rotating fully and staying on a side to side axis. But I kept landing backseat - which sucks because I lack full flexion in my surgically reconstructed knee and can't back slap without crumbling sideways. I think the key is having good forward shin pressure off the lip to level you out and staying on the balls of you feet (i tend to pop off my heels when initiating spin).... but I have to wait till next season to figure that out. Anyhow, it was fun. And other then my knee feeling fucked up for a few days and some toe bang (might be saying good bye to my right toe nail) it felt like my old skateboarding days (slamming repeatedly, getting pissed, and then the euphoria of learning a new trick). Newschoolers has plenty of threads on doing 360s by the way.

Has anyone tried the ski addiction tramp skis? In terms of getting the spins down and learning grabs etc. they look pretty sweet. And would save me from a whole lot of pain by dialing some of that stuff in. But kind of pricey. Can you use those at a local trampoline park?

Quote Originally Posted by himavan View Post
    Has anyone tried the ski addiction tramp skis? In terms of getting the spins down and learning grabs etc. they look pretty sweet. And would save me from a whole lot of pain by dialing some of that stuff in. But kind of pricey. Can you use those at a local trampoline park?
    I tried another skis at my trampoline center, but they look very similar. They are from a soft foam with kinda rubber cover. It's fun and cool to learn and build some muscle memory for grabs but not really helping with jump progress in the park. Also, for 300 bucks they are totally not worth it. Trampoline in general though, is helping a LOT. Other thing that's really helping is jumping with rollers from a kicker to soft foam pit. Feeling is very close to park jumps, will also help you to get the pop and proper axes

I doubt they'd let you use anything but non skid socks on your feet. Also, our local tramp place no longer allows ANY inverts at all except in to the foam pit.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I used to hit park in spring when things got slushy. I was on 175 VCTs. So a little wide for a dedicated park ski, but still a Jinny ski. Got decent with 180 grabs. Never was interested in getting inverted, of off axis, primarily because I was not good enough.

Anyway, I gave away those skis a while back, and they just got returned to me this spring. I’m trying to find a binding to mount on them this week, so I can take them out at Mammy this next Sunday afternoon and do some park laps with my kid in the afternoon. They usually have a line of small jumps set up this time of year that are just my speed.

I imagine tramps and trainings are great, but a 3 minutes lift to a decently built park is a great way to do laps and improve.

At 44 and after some major injuries it's been quite a trip to get in the park and feel like a jong this year. Scary too! Somehow I never learned 360s all my life - mustered up the balls to work on them last week. Only landed one, slammed 10 times. But that one make was so sweet! First I couldn't get the pop or rotation. Worked out the pop doing 180s. At first I was winding up, but this was setting my rotation too early (led me to be off access and/or catch tails on the slushy lip). I switched to a T-set (see the empire tutorial on this) and focused on popping first and then rotating. This was a huge help to rotating fully and staying on a side to side axis.
    I totally agree about the T-set 360 with no wind up. You will need a big enough jump to make the spin work, because the rotation will be slow. But avoiding the windup as much as possible does a lot to prevent you from spinning off axis. In addition, a proper T-set 360 will prevent you from counter rotating your top half midway through the spin. Counter rotation is when you move your upper half in the opposite direction of the spin, and is a super common mistake when learning 360s. I still do it sometimes, as evidenced by the footage I got this year (when spinning left, I’ll go from having my left arm extended on takeoff, but then I’ll pull my left hand into my chest at 180. It sort of looks like I’m guarding for impact on video).

This thread is great.

I'm 31 and here to get some...

I have a competitive park skiing background, but things don't stay sharp if you don't use them.

Strangely, I got two kids and realized it's ok to have fun. So I'm reverting to my old religion, jumpin' off shit.

This year I only had one day of runs through the park, but it was like riding a bike. It was only really rails though, I haven't done a 3 off a medium park jump in 3 years, and before that was another 3 years back.

I haven't slid rails like this since college in Utah. This was three runs in the making, warmup, hitting things, hitting things better:

I got one big-ish three off-piste this year, but next year I'm gunning for those park jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    This thread is great.

I'm 31 and here to get some...

I have a competitive park skiing background, but things don't stay sharp if you don't use them.

Strangely, I got two kids and realized it's ok to have fun. So I'm reverting to my old religion, jumpin' off shit.

This year I only had one day of runs through the park, but it was like riding a bike. It was only really rails though, I haven't done a 3 off a medium park jump in 3 years, and before that was another 3 years back.

I got one big-ish three off-piste this year, but next year I'm gunning for those park jumps.
    JRainey, you’ve got those shifties on the rails/boxes down nice and smooth! Are you riding the park on Hojis? Sweetness.

Also, any of you guys with actual park training/experience, please weigh in and correct any technique tips you think are wrong. My training is pretty much YouTube based, so I’m talking out my ass half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    JRainey, you’ve got those shifties on the rails/boxes down nice and smooth! Are you riding the park on Hojis? Sweetness.

Also, any of you guys with actual park training/experience, please weigh in and correct any technique tips you think are wrong. My training is pretty much YouTube based, so I’m talking out my ass half the time.
    Thanks. Hojis and Kingpins aren't ideal for park, but anything can work in pinch. EH skis are pretty centered mounted so that helps.

I didn't review all the how-to links, but it seems like you've got it together. I got good at skiing switch when I was 16 and tore my MCL. No jumping for 6 weeks, but skiing was ok. So I just bombed everything switch, and by the time I could jump again I was light years ahead. Probably the biggest leap for me in the park.

With spins I'll say it's all in the hips. A 360 isn't well executed until you control the final point of touch down. Meaning that you don't just do a well timed floater that has your skis forward in the end. You have to be able to hold some potential energy back so you can finish the rotation when the landing presents itself.
    1. You set it with your hips and shoulder in unison
    2. Keep your upperbody searching, and let you lower body relax and fall behind a bit.
    3. Spot landing, and whip those hips around to meet it.

This allows you to not die if you go bigger than planned. I've lost this, so I'm trying to get it back. Park jumps are the best place to practice as you get a consistent launch and pop everytime. The only big-ish 360 this year was off an old booter and I didn't know how big it was. I was a cunts hair from total inhiliation, due to overrotation, but lucked out on timing. I didn't have any control over spin rate, and that's courting disaster.

I didn't really learn how to do rails well until college. The big jump, straight onto rails wigged me out too much. I had rails in my yard, but I was always getting psysched out in the park. I finally learned at Brighton (utah) where they had a lot of skate style rails where you had to ollie on the side. This made me learn how to lock into a slide. From then on I could apply my jump skills to Park City style rails (biig).

The last thing I'll add is that riding the halfpipe will make you more nuanced and confident in the park, even if you don't really get above the lip. Anyone struggling with the angle changes from take-off to landing on bigger jumps will benefit from the pipe. You're transitioning weight foward on every hit and doing so in an off-axis environment. It works. When I was 14 and still a little tele skier, biffing on the big jumps and getting laughed at, it's what allowed me start hitting tabletops with confidence.

The pipe is super low impact if you don't fuck up, and any decent skier can do it with some practice. If you're in a place where you've got a tow lift, great. Otherwise just hike the pipe a few hours. Get the reps.

Regarding reps: When I said I realized that I wanted to have fun and jump while skiing, it was a conscious decision to change my current ski style. As you get older you just start to cruise or charge over the features, and only air on obvious drops. So I just started to jump off everything. A big part of this was slowing down, so I could hit the smaller features, but also not being lazy and trying to "pop" off everything. If you take this approach you can hit 10 jumps on a normal run. This will help your park skiing, but for me it just made skiing more fun.

I once looked into a stunt-ditch, decided it was a bad idea, turned to leave, fell down the ramp, and broke a rib. My park ambitions ended that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I once looked into a stunt-ditch, decided it was a bad idea, turned to leave, fell down the ramp, and broke a rib. My park ambitions ended that day.
    Don’t give up man! One injury doesn’t mean it’s over for an old dog!

Although I will say your comments fit squarely into the Old Man Park Skiing 101 reference text, Section One, of the initial post (paraphrased):

1) If you ski park, you will get hurt. Make sure the risk/reward quotient of learning to ski park is worth it for you.

Back at the UOP today. Just like riding a bike!

It still hurts every time you crash....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58B0G8Iq640

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-YRAvHPdxac

Also, wise TGR posters... how do you get your videos/clips to appear directly in the forum instead of having to post a link?
    Last edited by DGamms; 06-12-2018 at 09:20 PM.

That’s awesome DGamms! What’s the deal w getting to jump?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

How do you go about getting the water ramp time? I'd love to give it a try this summer.

Since I’m an old dog skier, I had to sneak in through the back door to be able to do multiple UOP sessions for a reasonable price.

I imagine you guys would have to do the same.

Start with a half day or full day public session. It’s pricey... but worth it to get a feel for what a UOP training day amounts to.

https://parkcityss.sportngin.com/reg...371.1524110227

If you are nice and trainable and reasonably competent (that’s a stretch for me), then you can talk to Sharlee after the first session about getting random days in during the summer with the Devo program.

https://www.parkcityss.org/page/show...pment-programs

Program manager is Sharlee Holland:

Sholland@parkcityss.org

Rock on, old dog skiers. I hope to see you guys out there this summer.

Just in case you guys really want to see some bad old man park skiing and even worse filming and editing to get pumped up for next season, here you go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1raE...nFf8oSh6l/view

I still find Tech Talk to be an invaluable resource, so I had to throw it in the credits as well. So thanks all!

Outstanding.

I’ll miss him too

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Thanks Detrusor.

Miss that guy already... let’s go ski some laps together for Ryan this winter.

I didn't watch ALL of it but a fair amount. Pretty well done! Sorry about your friend, Ryan and your unfortunate break up with the wife but it seems you're handling your mid-life crisis pretty well. I like that you credited Advil, Aleve, and whiskey; all drugs of choice for any aging generation. Do you happen to know Fuzz Feddersen with Flying Ace Productions?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I didn't watch ALL of it but a fair amount. Pretty well done! Sorry about your friend, Ryan and your unfortunate break up with the wife but it seems you're handling your mid-life crisis pretty well. I like that you credited Advil, Aleve, and whiskey; all drugs of choice for any aging generation. Do you happen to know Fuzz Feddersen with Flying Ace Productions?
    That’s funny, Fuzz is my neighbor up the street. His daughter was my kids primary babysitter for two plus years before she left for college.

How do you know the Feddersens?

I've heli-skied with Fuzz a couple of times. My normal ski buddies are former US Freestyle Ski Team members and were with Fuzz at that time. They also traveled the world with Phil Sifferman and the Volvo Ski Show. Here's some video we shot on one of the heli trips -

Last edited by GoldMember; 09-11-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I've heli-skied with Fuzz a couple of times. My normal ski buddies are former US Freestyle Ski Team members and were with Fuzz at that time. They also traveled the world with Phil Sifferman and the Volvo Ski Show. Here's some video we shot on one of the heli trips -

Damn GM! That is some seriously deep blower pow. Good on ya!!

46" of new in the three days we skied, on top of whatever they had received just prior to us getting there. It was a great trip, one of many. It was also eleven years ago....damn! I need to get up there this year.