PDX, southern WA, Olympic Peninsula questions

GF and I are planning a 11 day roadtrip from SLC to PDX, up to the Olympic Peninsula, down through Olympia, and then back home from Memorial Day weekend through early June. Bringing the bikes with the idea of riding most days with some sightseeing thrown in as well. I have no idea what elevations snow levels are at in the PNW, so unsure what will be dry, and what will be snow-covered.

For skill level/trail selections: we've been riding about 1.5 (almost 2) years now around Park City, Moab, Fruita, St. George. Did a trip last year that included Oakridge, loved Alpine Trail. Rode lower McKenzie River and loved that too. Locally we're happy on almost anything in Park City, prob. most "techincal" thing we've ridden in Moab was Navajo Rocks or Klondike area. Lunch Loops in GJ a bit too chunky still.

Our riding ideas are as follows:

Hood River - Post Canyon looks to be the spot here

Lewis River trail in WA - I read elsewhere online it was dry.

Then we're heading out to Olympic National Park for a few days to do some hiking/camping

It looks like the Olympic Discovery Trail (OAT) would be a good one: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/701...te-aka-the-oat. We were thinking of doing the western half out and back, then the eastern half out and back the next day. Worth spending 2 days on this trail? Any easy ways to ride it in just one direction without a shuttle vehicle?

Next, down to Olympia and Capitol Forest for a ride.

On our way back home we would drive through Hood River again - worth doing another ride there, or would we be better off adding a bit of driving time and riding Sandy Ridge?

Anywhere along I84 between PDX and Boise-ish worth stopping on the way back to camp and/or ride?

Can only comment on the olypen part. The discovery trail is great, but I don't think it's worth 2 days. The halves are similar, and the trail rides fast enough that you can put a lot of miles down in a day. I'm not sure how many days you had planned for hiking, but in my opinion, it'd be worth more to get an alpine, a rainforest and a coastal hike in than to get the rest of the discovery trail. If you're already planning to hike plenty, I'd say get a different ride in. I'm unfamiliar with the trails you put out there for skill level, but check out trailforks for ideas and PM me if you have questions about specific trails.

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Can only comment on the olypen part. The discovery trail is great, but I don't think it's worth 2 days. The halves are similar, and the trail rides fast enough that you can put a lot of miles down in a day. I'm not sure how many days you had planned for hiking, but in my opinion, it'd be worth more to get an alpine, a rainforest and a coastal hike in than to get the rest of the discovery trail. If you're already planning to hike plenty, I'd say get a different ride in. I'm unfamiliar with the trails you put out there for skill level, but check out trailforks for ideas and PM me if you have questions about specific trails.
    We're not much in the way of hikers, but will definitely plan on getting in a rainforest hike (thinking of doing the hike from Graves Creek Campground towards Enchanted Valley, then back). Any recommended coast hikes? Probably will be hard to convince us to do a hike with a couple thousand vertical to get into the alpine ha

Speaking of Olympic - recommended spots to camp? We'll be heading S > N, probably staying out there around 3 nights. Graves Creek looks great, but can't decide which coastal camping area seems best. Mora campground?

Hood River is fun, lots of variety. I liked Syncline just across the river a lot better than Sandy Ridge. It was ok, but seemed too machine-built / bike parky for me. Syncline is all natural trail and awesome views of the river. Lots of poison oak in some parts of the system (was later told assume every bush is PO).

Have heard good things about Lewis River, would like to check that out sometime along with Plains of Abraham / Ape Cyn / Smith Creek near Mt St Helens. But I don't think those would be open yet in your time frame. Lewis should be good to go though.

Something else you could check out is North Umpqua Trail east of Roseburg. It is a bit out of the way but has some amazing sections of trail and tons of waterfalls. I rode it first week of June one year, and it was prime condition, no snow. Not sure if downed trees are ever much of an issue. We only had a couple. Dread & Terror is one of the harder and longer segments but is pretty amazing - lush forest and tons of waterfalls. It isn't overly technical but has exposure in places and the trail tends to drop into and climb out of creek crossings fairly steeply. The Panther segment was my other favorite. You could easily do that plus the Calf and/or Mott segments as one ride.

If you check out North Umpqua, you could easily check in to Crater Lake NP as well.

https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/ros...l-brochure.pdf

Ashland would also be worthwhile. 5k of buff descending in 12 mi back to town, and there is a shuttle service in Ashland. There is some good riding in Redding and at Shasta now too.

Double check conditions on the North Umpqua before heading that way. I was there in October and a bunch of segments were closed from forest fires last summer.

I think North Umpqua looks a bit out of the way..Probably won't get south of PDX considering we are going as far north as Port Angeles. That trail is on my bucket list though! Hopefully fires didn't damage too much last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    We're not much in the way of hikers, but will definitely plan on getting in a rainforest hike (thinking of doing the hike from Graves Creek Campground towards Enchanted Valley, then back). Any recommended coast hikes? Probably will be hard to convince us to do a hike with a couple thousand vertical to get into the alpine ha

Speaking of Olympic - recommended spots to camp? We'll be heading S > N, probably staying out there around 3 nights. Graves Creek looks great, but can't decide which coastal camping area seems best. Mora campground?
    Haven't car camped on the coast much, but yea Mora should be good, I think there are others near La Push too. Might get crowded on weekends though, so be early and/or flexible. Klahowya campground has been less crowded in the past and would shorten your drive on one of the days.

If you have a nat park pass (enchanted valley will require one I think?), you can get up to good elevation in your car via Hurricane ridge road. Klahhane ridge is a good short hike, maybe 1500 vert. Can also check out the neat little ski area and be thankful for chairlifts. As far as coastal hikes go, Ozette triangle for a bigger one, or third beach.

We're leaving in a week - seems like the weather's been warmer than normal, but has cooled down a bit again?

USFS updated and as of 5/1 has cleared all down trees on Lewis River Trail, which is now gtg. So we'll most likely be riding that.

Anyone with beta on where to go in Olympia for food, drinks, seafood?

Anywhere along I84 between PDX and Boise-ish worth stopping on the way back to camp and/or ride?
    Wallowas - Enterprise - Terminal Gravity Brewpub.

There's a nice campground at the head (Southern end) of Wallowa Lake. Close by is this:
    http://wallowalaketramway.com/

with schedule:
    http://wallowalaketramway.com/inform...ting-calendar/

This is a beautiful place that's overlooked a lot. Mountain biking is limited I'm told, some trails run out of Salt Creek Snowpark.

https://www.lagranderide.com/ridegui...in-bike/joseph
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I don't know how much time you'll spend around Boise but all the trails are dry. Depending on your time in our area, up around Bogus (16 miles from town), is more trees and darker dirt. There's a campground behind Bogus. Down lower is more desert with long climbs, long downs but not too much technical all leaving and ending in town. The dirt is similar to Fruita without any rocks.

There's some interested technical XC down by Twin Falls too called Auger Falls. It's down in the canyon by Perrine Bridge. You enter on the south side of the canyon in town. Good food and views at Elevation 486 post ride. I wouldn't go out of my way to ride there unless you're timing puts you close to TF for the day.

Also good riding out of Pocatello but I can't comment on trail conditions.

Tons of BLM land across southern Idaho if you need to pull off to sleep. If you want to take a little time, camping at City of Rocks is cool. Bruneau Sand Dunes are not too far off I84 and neat to see once in your life if you're into sand dunes. If you like RV parks and soaking, google Miracle hot springs. It's a cool little loop along the Snake between Hagerman and Twin Falls. It will cost you about an hour off I84 as will Bruneau Sand Dunes.

If you're thinking of bringing any weed back, I'd shoot a little south coming into Idaho through Nyssa and Parma and then back to I84. The police around Ontario on the Idaho side are pretty aggressive these days especially with out of state plates.

For really good beer, Double Mountain in Hood River, Barley Browns in Baker City.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I don't know how much time you'll spend around Boise but all the trails are dry. Depending on your time in our area, up around Bogus (16 miles from town), is more trees and darker dirt. There's a campground behind Bogus. Down lower is more desert with long climbs, long downs but not too much technical all leaving and ending in town. The dirt is similar to Fruita without any rocks.

There's some interested technical XC down by Twin Falls too called Auger Falls. It's down in the canyon by Perrine Bridge. You enter on the south side of the canyon in town. Good food and views at Elevation 486 post ride. I wouldn't go out of my way to ride there unless you're timing puts you close to TF for the day.

Also good riding out of Pocatello but I can't comment on trail conditions.

Tons of BLM land across southern Idaho if you need to pull off to sleep. If you want to take a little time, camping at City of Rocks is cool. Bruneau Sand Dunes are not too far off I84 and neat to see once in your life if you're into sand dunes. If you like RV parks and soaking, google Miracle hot springs. It's a cool little loop along the Snake between Hagerman and Twin Falls. It will cost you about an hour off I84 as will Bruneau Sand Dunes.

If you're thinking of bringing any weed back, I'd shoot a little south coming into Idaho through Nyssa and Parma and then back to I84. The police around Ontario on the Idaho side are pretty aggressive these days especially with out of state plates.

For really good beer, Double Mountain in Hood River, Barley Browns in Baker City.
    Cheers, thanks! Not sure if we'll end up spending any time near Boise at all, or will just be passing through, but good beta. Nobody I've spoken with had yet recommended either of those brewpubs, or the weed-on-the-DL route

Cheers, thanks! Not sure if we'll end up spending any time near Boise at all, or will just be passing through, but good beta. Nobody I've spoken with had yet recommended either of those brewpubs, or the weed-on-the-DL route
    These suggestions of alternate routes to avoid Smokey while smoking remind me of this story:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/buckrai...ds-of-pot/amp/
    Didn’t do these guys much good. Stopped for allegedly doing 71 in a 65??? I think they would have done better sticking to the interstates.

Id personally go ride at Dry Hill in Port Angeles for a day. Its technically DH trails, but pretty mellow, and is a fairly easy (30-45min) pedal up to the top so you can get in a few laps if you only have an afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Id personally go ride at Dry Hill in Port Angeles for a day. Its technically DH trails, but pretty mellow, and is a fairly easy (30-45min) pedal up to the top so you can get in a few laps if you only have an afternoon.
    Good thought as well, thanks! Recommended trails for non-downhillers? We both have FS 140mm bikes so hopefully wouldn't be under-biked, but we may definitely be under-skilled

A little bit off the highway but when I'm headed that way I usually camp next to the Owyhee river right by the ID/OR border. Nice BLM camp spots right next to the river. And if you're into fishing at all, there's some large brown colored ones in there.

Can you make oakridge on your way?

The wife and I liked Marmot Pass for a hike on the peninsula

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A little bit off the highway but when I'm headed that way I usually camp next to the Owyhee river right by the ID/OR border. Nice BLM camp spots right next to the river. And if you're into fishing at all, there's some large brown colored ones in there.

Can you make oakridge on your way?

The wife and I liked Marmot Pass for a hike on the peninsula
    Martin's Landing? Looks like they charge $10 as of March. Very accessible spot though, thanks.

No Oakridge this trip, but did that last August just before all the fires.

No, it’s not a campground. Find the river that goes into a canyon below the lake. Tons of camp spots right next to the river.

Good thought as well, thanks! Recommended trails for non-downhillers? We both have FS 140mm bikes so hopefully wouldn't be under-biked, but we may definitely be under-skilled
    just look it up on trail forks, its all up on there and pretty well described. Nothing there is overly rowdy where you need a DH bike, its just that you NEED a dh bike to ride all the lines at race speeds. Go to the top and ride waynes world or white knuckle from the top, then just pick what you like from there. Its a pretty dense trail system so you can't get lost, you just head downhill

https://www.trailforks.com/region/dr...6&m=trailforks