Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PSA: How to avoid the Amazon Prime price increase

You can grab one more year of Amazon Prime at the current rate of $99 by giving yourself a gift subscription to Amazon Prime for future delivery up to one year in advance. This locks in the old $99 price for one extra year. Enter "amazon prime gift membership purchase" in Amazon search, choose the gift subscription, gift to the email you use for Amazon and set future delivery to three days before your current Amazon Prime subscription expires.

Fuck Amazon.

Right, cause who wants the convenience of being able to have most anything you need delivered to your door in a few hours.

When I look at my membership info it says I will be charged $99 in February 2019 for renewal. Should I assume that is not correct and the renewal fee is increasing?

How to avoid the price increase? ...cancel Prime.

That's what we're doing since our renewal's coming up. They're trying to pull what so many companies do. Undercut, undercut, undercut. Then once they've eliminated most of their competition, hike prices. Not playing your games, Amazon. Been a Prime member since it first came out in '05. Now that Amazon's become such a juggernaut, I don't feel like supporting them any longer. Prime was a vital service when I lived in the sticks. Now that I can actually buy things locally once again, I can actually gasp...pick something up at the store. Plus, their shipping quality has become TERRIBLE. Packing's become a problem, and their 3rd party contract delivery services leave a lot to be desired.

Buh-bye.

...and back in 05 prime cost how much exactly? The same 99 bucks?

I shop local for things I need to see, touch, feel and ask an expert for advice. Commodities from a box store 20 miles away? Fuck that, Amazon delivers. Shipping for birthdays and holidays? Amazon has my back and I skip the mall. Hell yeah.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

It's worth a certain amount of money to me not to have to go to Target, Walmart, or any chain uberstore/shopping hell, and it's time-consuming to compare prices between stores. And I can't tell before I go if they have what I want. I get 5% back if I use Amazon's credit card. So, there's a little more at stake than a membership hike and bad packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    How to avoid the price increase? ...cancel Prime.

That's what we're doing since our renewal's coming up. They're trying to pull what so many companies do. Undercut, undercut, undercut. Then once they've eliminated most of their competition, hike prices. Not playing your games, Amazon. Been a Prime member since it first came out in '05. Now that Amazon's become such a juggernaut, I don't feel like supporting them any longer. Prime was a vital service when I lived in the sticks. Now that I can actually buy things locally once again, I can actually gasp...pick something up at the store. Plus, their shipping quality has become TERRIBLE. Packing's become a problem, and their 3rd party contract delivery services leave a lot to be desired.

Buh-bye.
    #METOO

Isn't there some discussion going on about how stupid (pick your political party) dupes you in to voting against your own best interests?

I know it's hard not to shop at the dollar store.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Seriously, who gives a fuck?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Seriously, not many. Not many at all.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

I’ve been a prime member for about three years now. In the beginning it worked pretty well. Items were delivered quickly with few hassles.

Lately, my orders/billing have been getting screwed up. It’s not smooth anymore.

That latest charade has me billed for a toolbox, piles of spammy emails, crazy tracking and still no tool box in sight.

My membership is up for renewal in Oct and I’m likely not going to drop the bread for a new Prime memebership. Amazon as gotten a little too big for me.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

quit buying off them bootlicker

jeff bezos is on his way to a jail cell
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Actually I was at a party a few weeks ago and people started talking about James Bond, or the latest James Bond movie, or something....

One person was like, “what a silly premise...a global villain...with that much power and resources...how dumb they are still using the same story line.”

I kept my mouth shut (I usually don’t), but I immediately though of Bezos and all the money he has from amazon.com. He’ll have his own fleet of spaceships soon.

Continued poor shopping experiences will prevent himfrom doing it with my dollar.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Not sure what the hell you people are buying but I have never had an issue with a single purchase from Amazon. Honestly never even the smallest tear in the box either. Now I'm not get things shipped multiple times a week but at least two to three times a month.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Yeah, I'm never gonna quit Amazon prime. Every company screws up orders eventually, who cares until it's an actual pattern. I generally only order work stuff, which I have to order mostly online anyways.

I only buy stuff that is fulfilled and shipped from Amazon. Most issue I've seen result from relying on other shippers to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Every company screws up orders eventually, who cares until it's an actual pattern.
    Unfortunately it actually has become a pattern with Amazon for us. A few weeks back I needed a cell phone stat for my wife since hers broke randomly one day. Nobody locally of course sells full blown unlocked, cheap, non-contract phones so I ordered hers from Amz. Free 1-day shipping (w/ Prime), fulfilled/shipped by Amazon. Sweet, right? Saw the Amazon courier roll up and dump it off like 15 feet from my front door. Literally dropped it and ran off. I know those guys are under the gun from their Amazon overlords, but sheesh I did not like that. Picked up the box and rattle rattle rattle. Opened up the beat up box and there was literally ZERO packing material inside. I didn't even bother opening the contents. Called Amazon and complained they didn't protect it at all and that I refused to accept this one, so they overnighted another unit. SAME FREAKING THING. Rattle rattle rattle. WTF? I shipped both units back to them and it took them like a week to receive and refund my money. Lesson learned. I'll order straight from the manufacturer next time.

I'd say that two in a row could be an "isolated case," but they have definitely become increasingly worse with every passing year. They used to be really stellar and there's good reason they grew to where they are, but alas, all good things must come to an end. I'm over their lousy shipping, delivery, and customer service. I've just had too many utterly destroyed boxes to want to bother with them unless I absolutely have to. That said, they're still great for what they originally set out to do...books!!!

Were either of the phones broken or you just assumed they were?

The destroyed boxes are Amazon's fault but the shipping company (UPS, Fedex, USPS) isn't?

Ok wait, curious what the price increase was so I googled, and find a forbes article saying 60% not renewing.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanbap.../#6f843ffa5c0d
    I'm calling bullshit.
    It's 20 fucking dollars.
    I just signed up for Prime a few months back based on the (other amazon)thread here and its great as far as I can tell.
    Yesterday went to home depot to look at three things.
    Didn't have the chainsaw
    Didn't have the mailbox
    Didn't have Standard light bulbs. fucking light bubs

Amazon packs everything like they are books. Even expensive camera lenses.

Do you guys really buy enough stuff to make the $100 worth it? I probably order something off Amazon three times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Yeah, I'm never gonna quit Amazon prime. Every company screws up orders eventually, who cares until it's an actual pattern.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I only buy stuff that is fulfilled and shipped from Amazon. Most issue I've seen result from relying on other shippers to deliver.
    And this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Do you guys really buy enough stuff to make the $100 worth it? I probably order something off Amazon three times a year.
    Between me and the other 3 members of my family we probably get 4-5 deliveries a week. Fuck going to a box store only to find out they don't have what I want. "Free" 2 day shipping, no sales tax ... I save more than $100 in a month, not counting the countless hours saved going to a soul-less store staffed by stoned idiots who don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Were either of the phones broken or you just assumed they were?

The destroyed boxes are Amazon's fault but the shipping company (UPS, Fedex, USPS) isn't?
    It's very important to Austin that his phone's box, not the shipping box, mind you, but the box that the phone comes in, is as unblemished as his virgin soul.

So stupid. Thing arrives in 2 days. It works or if it doesn't it doesn't work send it back (for free) & get new one. No stick-up-your-ass phonecalls needed.

I was going to cancel Prime after Amazon started charging sales tax in my state. But then I got a Roku box. Prime is one of the better streaming services for the money. The fact that I get free 2 day shipping when I buy stuff is just a bonus now.

Where do you live? If I was in a city where I had choices other than Walmart for most things I might buy more offline, but when you're 2.5 hrs one way to have any real options Prime is pretty handy.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.