Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    This is not tough at all. We even have specific legislation addressing it in Colorado.

Those parents should be charged, and every gun owner should applaud it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Don't let your personal hatred of guns bias your thoughts here
    Agree in full. Personal bias could lead to ridiculous arguments.
    In with the 9.

Attractive Nuisance?????

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    As unfortunate as this situation is, I find it hard to see the logic behind a victim of theft (regardless of relationship to the criminal) having to be punished for whatever crime is committed post theft.

Are you going to prosecute any car owner who's vehicle is stolen and then a crime is committed with it? That shit happens all the fucking time. What is the Waukesha massacre was a stolen vehicle?

What if a murderer buys a gun with stolen money? That shit also happens all the time. You holding the person who's cash was stolen responsible? Where does the line end?

What about a person with a prescription, that has those pills stolen and then someone OD's on it. This literally every day in this country. You charging that person with murder?

See how ridiculous those scenarios sound? Don't let your personal hatred of guns bias your thoughts here, because they are ultimately no different than punishing a gun owner who's gun gets stolen.

No one is justifying what this kid did by arguing these points. I'm sure more detail is going to come out but the parents weren't blowing off warning signs, they were literally meeting with professionals about the kid's problem that very day. Showing up is what parents that care do IMO, but is never going to be a guarantee that it prevents a kid from committing a crime.
    Laws and regulation are different for different levels of threats. A machine exclusively designed to kill a human with the push of a button, or 15 within 10 seconds deserves a much higher level of scrutiny than a vehicle used literally thousands of ways to improve everyday life of 80% of the people on the planet. So, ya, they should absolutely be held accountable if reasonable measures (gun safe kid doesn't have access to) were not in place to ensure kid didn't get the gun easily.

Same should hold true if an idiot leaves a gun in their car... double the time if the car's not locked.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    Agree in full. Personal bias could lead to ridiculous arguments.
    Bazinga!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Even if the parents get charged, it is super hard to get a convictions on these types of cases. Below is a case from Washington where a cop left his gun under his car seat for a brief moment and his 3 year old found it and shot and killed his 7 year old sister. Cop was fired and charged with manslaughter. Jury couldn't reach a unanimous verdict (hung jury) so cop walked on criminal charges. Later, arbitrator reinstated cop and he is now still a cop.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ughters-death/

"Can't you see..."

Could you guys please not quote AdironRider?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Needless to say I found his post partially reasonable

Go figure

—over react much——
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Someone stealing a stranger's car and then using it during the commission of a crime seems just a tad different than a child taking their parent's gun and using it to shoot up a bunch of kids at school, but maybe that's just my personal bias...

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Needless to say I found his post partially reasonable

Go figure

—over react much——
    I don't care what he says at this point, good, bad, or indifferent. I just don't want to see it anymore. I got tired of it a short while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    This is not tough at all. We even have specific legislation addressing it in Colorado.

Those parents should be charged, and every gun owner should applaud it.
    Not sure of the laws you’re referencing in CO.
    In MI, guns must be sold with a trigger lock or locking case.
    However, MI gun owners are not obliged to use the trigger locks or cases purchased with the gun
    https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...e-in-michigan/

And 50 different gun reform bills have died in MI’s state legislature this year
    https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...orm-bills-year

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Not sure of the laws you’re referencing in CO.
    In MI, guns must be sold with a trigger lock or locking case.
    However, MI gun owners are not obliged to use the trigger locks or cases purchased with the gun
    https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...e-in-michigan/

And 50 different gun reform bills have died in MI’s state legislature this year
    https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...orm-bills-year
    https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/hb21-1106

Definitely leads to a negligence per se claim, and most likely a negligent entrustment one as well.

^^^Sounds like the main difference is in CO, gun owners have to actually use the trigger guards and cases they purchased. Novel fucking concept.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^Sounds like the main difference is in CO, gun owners have to actually use the trigger guards and cases they purchased. Novel fucking concept.
    The key part is:

if a person stores a firearm in a manner that the person knows, or should know:

That a juvenile can gain access to the firearm without the permission of the juvenile's parent or guardian; or
    A resident of the premises is ineligible to possess a firearm under state or federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I don't agree with folks but as long as they're not launching personal attacks I won't block them. Otherwise I create my own echo chamber. Not a fan of echo chambers even though they are less stressful. I can't criticize someone constantly posting right wing talking points as living in an echo chamber if I'm blocking them myself..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I think it should be a crime to raise a pos child like this.

I will assume the parents will soon be bankrupt, at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I don't agree with folks but as long as they're not launching personal attacks I won't block them. Otherwise I create my own echo chamber. Not a fan of echo chambers even though they are less stressful. I can't criticize someone constantly posting right wing talking points as living in an echo chamber if I'm blocking them myself..
    I didn't use to put people on ignore for my entire duration here. The skidog incident changed that. Now I've discovered that the forum is much more readable.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

Could you please not quote riser3? I’m a sensitive little bitch and my feelings are easily hurt if I read things I don’t agree with. Thank you.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I think it should be a crime to raise a pos child like this.

I will assume the parents will soon be bankrupt, at a minimum.

They're probably like millions of Americans, no real assets, tons of debt, so, bankruptcy could be a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    Could you please not quote riser3? I’m a sensitive little bitch and my feelings are easily hurt if I read things I don’t agree with. Thank you.
    Explains a lot.

The talk around town is It sounds like they are going to be charged. And they should be.

The kid posted a pic on IG a few days before the shooting showing the gun, Saying it was his, And then was like “feel free to ask me any questions about my new gun”

He obviously had access to it regularly it seems.

Also he was in a disciplinary meeting in school WITH his parents… and had the gun on him before he started shooting.

Parents told him not to talk to anyone except a lawyer immediately. Pretty sure they know they are fucked.

Handguns: specifically designed to kill people.

Trigger lock/cable: designed to prevent accidental or unsanctioned use of firearm.

So, parents buy kid gun designed for killing people and don’t use safe guards.

Definitely should be charged.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    The talk around town is It sounds like they are going to be charged. And they should be.

The kid posted a pic on IG a few days before the shooting showing the gun, Saying it was his, And then was like “feel free to ask me any questions about my new gun”

He obviously had access to it regularly it seems.

Also he was in a disciplinary meeting in school WITH his parents… and had the gun on him before he started shooting.

Parents told him not to talk to anyone except a lawyer immediately. Pretty sure they know they are fucked.
    Well, that's actually damn good advice for anyone. Don't say a thing.

Here is a twist. After graduating HS, a guy who I knew (call him Kevin) moved from suburban NJ to Denver. He got hooked up with a guy who was a local [Colo.] concert promoter (call him Joe) and cocaine dealer. The story goes that one day Joe fronted Kevin a 1/4lb of product to drop off with lower level deviants. Kevin, who thought he was slick, decided to keep the blow, move back to the ice coast and sell it to his buddies or keep it for himself. Joe got wind of Kevin's plan. While enroute to NJ, Joe called Kevin's dad and said something to the effect that "your son is currently traveling from Denver to NJ with 1/4lb of my coke. You have two choices. You can either pay me $X by tomorrow morning, or I will call the police, advise them of a description of your son, his car and LP#, and that he is traveling cross-country with all that blow." Needless to say, Joe was paid, Kevin received the beating of his life and the powder was flushed.
    This is an example of "Minor criminals and a parents accountability".
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix