Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 129
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    31,052

    Things To Do In Burlington When You Are Dead?

    So, I will have roughly 24 hours in Burlington in June (Sunday night/Monday).
    Any great suggestions of things to do with wifey and 10yo kiddo?
    (We won't have bikes, maybe city bikes there?)
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,502
    Al's French Frys is pretty damn good for burger, dogs, shakes, fries type shit. Way above average and the fries are pretty killer. the 10-year-old will dig it completely, mom maybe not so much.

    You could ride a ferry to Plattsburgh if you're desperate for things to do, the scenery is great and it's cool to be on the lake.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,446
    With the 10yr old get out of town maybe. Ben n Jerry’s tour after a hike around Smuggs notch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,483
    Sheluburne Farm is a good way to kill some time.

    There's also a climbing gym off of Home Ave.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,800
    Seconded ferry across the lake, especially if it's warm. It's a beautiful lake. Grab some lunch for the trip. Hour each way.
    Don't bother with Plattsburgh. Unless you've been reading a lot of Russell Banks lately.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walpole NH
    Posts
    9,634
    Rent bikes at local motion. They’re right on the bike path, down on the lake. Head north past the skatepark and cruise out on the causeway. It’s flat, but it’s really cool. Awesome views and riding down the causeway with water on both sides is a freaking hoot. The bike ferry will be open then, if you want to continue over to South Hero.
    https://www.localmotion.org/

    Freak watching on Church Street is also a fun time.
    crab in my shoe mouth

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    champlain valley
    Posts
    5,325
    ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    13,532
    Leahy Center on the waterfront is a favorite with kids and if your into skating there is a skateboard park a 5 minute walk north of it. greenridebikeshare.com/ is a new service, bikes look kind of janky but if you scroll to the bottom of their homepage there are other shops that rent bikes. Local Motion has bikes for rent on the waterfront and the 14 mile rail 2 trail on the lake is a nice ride. Spirit of Ethan Allen does cruises if you want to get on the lake without riding the car ferry. You a sailor? Rent a watercraft for some fun.
    All of these activities are within 5 minutes of each other by foot.




    [edit] I see others have posted some of this. Plenty of freaks and bums.
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Where bankers' bankers breed
    Posts
    2,582
    Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center
    +1 if the weather is bad
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    8,725
    Does the ferry still go across to Fort Ticonderoga? There's some good history there to show the kid and the cannon firing they do is pretty cool. I agree with getting out on the causeway on bikes as being a neat ride, Greens on one side 'Daks on the other.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North,NorthEast
    Posts
    3,075
    Ski Killington?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    gone fishing
    Posts
    2,390
    3 dead people are going to cause a scene

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    15,721
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Al's French Frys is pretty damn good for burger, dogs, shakes, fries type shit. Way above average and the fries are pretty killer. the 10-year-old will dig it completely, mom maybe not so much.

    You could ride a ferry to Plattsburgh if you're desperate for things to do, the scenery is great and it's cool to be on the lake.
    The Ferry from Burlington doesn't go to Plattsburgh.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    between campus and church
    Posts
    7,768

    Things To Do In Burlington When You Are Dead?


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,502
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The Ferry from Burlington doesn't go to Plattsburgh.
    Yeah it's been years, I had to look it up. You're right it goes to Fort Kent, about 14 miles south of Plattsburgh. It's how we got to Plattsburgh last time we went though.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,124
    Lone Rock Point is a fun way to kill a couple hours and cool off with some cliffs to jump off of and I think a beach.
    Live Free or Die

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,800
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah it's been years, I had to look it up. You're right it goes to Fort Kent, about 14 miles south of Plattsburgh. It's how we got to Plattsburgh last time we went though.
    Well, then, whatever.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Followed by this:


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,800
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Does the ferry still go across to Fort Ticonderoga? There's some good history there to show the kid and the cannon firing they do is pretty cool. I agree with getting out on the causeway on bikes as being a neat ride, Greens on one side 'Daks on the other.
    That's way south of Burlington. There's three ferrys. Burlington to this Fort Kent place, Essex to Charlotte, and Fort Ticonderoga to Larrabee (nowhere) that gets you in the direction of Middlebury. The Ticonderoga ferry is the shortest, and is actually a cable driven ferry.

    There's a lot of good road biking up there.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    15,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's way south of Burlington. There's three ferrys. Burlington to this Fort Kent place, Essex to Charlotte, and Fort Ticonderoga to Larrabee (nowhere) that gets you in the direction of Middlebury. The Ticonderoga ferry is the shortest, and is actually a cable driven ferry.

    There's a lot of good road biking up there.
    And of course the grand isle ferry which actually goes to Plattsburgh.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,800
    Nobody goes to Plattsburgh.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    15,721
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I will have roughly 24 hours in Burlington in June (Sunday night/Monday).
    Any great suggestions of things to do with wifey and 10yo kiddo?
    (We won't have bikes, maybe city bikes there?)
    Will you have a vehicle?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    15,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nobody goes to Plattsburgh.
    Right. All of the commuters who use the Grand Isle ferry year round are usually on their way home when they go to Plattsburgh, so that doesn't count.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    13,532
    OP has 24 hrs to play with, plenty to do without spending an hour+ going to Fort Ti or the dreariness of Plattsburgh. Plenty of stuff to do and breweries to visit within a short walk, bike or cab ride.
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    15,721
    One thing to keep in mind is that the weather is going to be a crap shoot. June is often monsoon season. In an average year it often rains pretty much straight for about five weeks between memorial day and the 4th.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •