Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Are we sure?
    North country. FHW should be chiming in to say that the North Country isn't upstate. Hey, if Western NY can get a pass, why not?

Is this the Northern Vermont throwback thread? I left a couple of months after this went down which at the time seemed like a pretty low point for both me and the region. I can appreciate it a bit more now and there are things I love but mostly not. I just don't make a very good hippy.

A couple of other things to throw on your list

https://handyslunch.wordpress.com/our-menu/ Real Burlington

edit: Dog Team Tavern burned down

https://www.southburlingtonvt.gov/pa...rocks_park.php In town swimming on the lake

https://www.smuggs.com/pages/summer/water/daycation.php A day pass to Smuggs could be a good way to spend a day with a 10 y.o. kind of a VT assumement park

All these thinks kinda fall outside "Danno's Burlington Vacation" but I'll just stick by the fact that while Burlington is a relatively cool town unless your focus is eating, drinking, shopping and the like you'll have more fun and better life experiences by staying out of the concrete jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Man thats a flashback. I used to live right behind the Red Fox. Smoke weed and go swimming all day>bartend at Smuggs>get drunk at the Brewski was my summers in college.
    College? . That's that thing I was supposed to be doing during all of the above. [Well, I didn't bartend at Smuggs, but the rest of it is true.] I had a nagging feeling I was forgetting something. Oh well, i eventually went to a better school and graduated with a usable degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Look who've wandered in from the ECRC.

Hi guys!
    I was wondering what the ECRC does in the summer.
    I still call it The Jake.

moving to vermont danno?

I usually skip vermont way to vermonty for me I'd head to nh or maine

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    College? . That's that thing I was supposed to be doing during all of the above. [Well, I didn't bartend at Smuggs, but the rest of it is true.] I had a nagging feeling I was forgetting something. Oh well, i eventually went to a better school and graduated with a usable degree.
    I'm not sure if I was high functioning, lucky or what but I graduated from UVM in 4 years with a double major, worked full time at Smuggs and skied, partied and fucked off all the time.

Then I graduated, ramped up the partying and fucking off, asked myself why, put all my shit in an '89 Civic and moved to Winter Park. Other than a few panic attacks and a few consequential poor decisions, I think I came out the otherside OK.

My FIL has 80 acres with a tree farm outside Walden. When I visit it's back to the old days, get up smoke weed, hit up the general store for some sammys, go on a hike to a quarry, do some cliff jumping, go to some backwoodsy restaurant and eat a pizza and have a couple beers out on the picnic table.

When I visit it's back to the old days, get up smoke weed, hit up the general store for some sammys, go on a hike to a quarry, do some cliff jumping, go to some backwoodsy restaurant and eat a pizza and have a couple beers out on the picnic table.
    well if that isn't VT summer in a sentence, i don't know what is.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    moving to vermont danno?

I usually skip vermont way to vermonty for me I'd head to nh or maine
    It's sorta like Ithaca without the billboards.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

thats why my brother moved there he wants to leave but he's stuck there until october at least as long as he keeps up the good behavior

His parole hearing is in October?

Btw. October is pretty there. He should wait until November to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Jericho Cafe and Tavern (JCAT) is a great spot to eat, especially if the weather is good and you can get a deck table. I lived 5 minutes from there in EJ (closer to Burlington) for 5 years and there is no way you can make it to downtown Burlington in 22 minutes from anywhere in Jericho. Best I could do from EJ was 26 minutes to the UVM hospital and I tried every route possible. 30 minutes is realistic and maybe optimistic.

The Jericho Center Country Store is a great spot for sammiches. Don't miss Joe's Snack Bar (near the JCAT) for great burgers and Maple Creemees.
    Google is wrong? Unpossibru. The place is listed as "Jericho" but it's a bit south of the town; google says it's ~4 miles to 89/2, and 22 minutes to Church/Main. If that's wrong and it takes me 25-30 minutes, no big deal. :shrug: We chose this place in part because it was cheap (no doubt cheaper because it's not near downtown), in part because it has a pool, and in part because it *is* out in the country and not in Foggy's concrete jungle.

Thanks for the Jericho food recommendations!

All these thinks kinda fall outside "Danno's Burlington Vacation" but I'll just stick by the fact that while Burlington is a relatively cool town unless your focus is eating, drinking, shopping and the like you'll have more fun and better life experiences by staying out of the concrete jungle.
    We aren't *just* sticking to Burlington, but your post before ignored that we are looking for kid activities and planning to be *around* Burlington. I already said we're looking at swimming holes and doing fun stuff on the lake and the Shelburne Museum (i.e. all stuff not in the concrete jungle of Burlington), it's just that you basically said "I know you asked about stuff in and around Burlington, but you should ignore all that stuff and instead do other stuff that isn't near Burlington."
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

OK counselor...its like your vacation right? I mean you lived in B Town, have been back and used to spend a lot of your youth in Southern Vermont. Wanna cross somethings off the list because it's not what you want to do, sounds smart. Just color me a bit surprised as to what you want your vacation to look like.

I sense tension.

Perhaps a family massage and some gummies for everyone are in order before heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Google is wrong? Unpossibru. The place is listed as "Jericho" but it's a bit south of the town; google says it's ~4 miles to 89/2, and 22 minutes to Church/Main. If that's wrong and it takes me 25-30 minutes, no big deal. :shrug: We chose this place in part because it was cheap (no doubt cheaper because it's not near downtown), in part because it has a pool, and in part because it *is* out in the country and not in Foggy's concrete jungle.
    MNIAW drives like my grandma!

OK counselor...its like your vacation right? I mean you lived in B Town, have been back and used to spend a lot of your youth in Southern Vermont. Wanna cross somethings off the list because it's not what you want to do, sounds smart. Just color me a bit surprised as to what you want your vacation to look like.
    I haven't been back to Burlington in 20 years (drove through it once or twice); I spend all my VT time around Ludlow. And my wife has never been anywhere but the Ludlow area. She wants to see Burlington, do things on Lake Champlain (which is unlike anything we have in Colorado), and do things that our kiddo enjoys and appreciates. And it's her vacation too; Burlington wasn't my first pick because I lived there, but she wants to visit it as part of our trip, and it's a cool area so I was happy to do so. Why is this so fucking hard to understand? I get that you used to live there and so the idea of Burlington as a tourist destination doesn't make sense to you, but can you step outside of your perspective for just a minute? I mean, I live in Boulder and don't need to do the Boulder touristy things, I avoid certain places because they're crowded with tourists. But that doesn't mean I would tell people "don't visit Boulder, it sucks, why would you want to do that?" or tell them "Chautauqua is crowded AF, don't go there", or "Pearl Street is a tourist trap, why would you want to take your family there?," or "Boulder Creek is a just a paved bike path next to a small stream, why is that something you would want to check out?" They're things I don't do much of, but people vacationing in Boulder would enjoy.

I truly am at a loss as to why you find it so hard to understand why someone would plan 3 days of vacation in the Burlington area, would stay outside of Burlington in the country, and would want to visit the Shelburne Museum and Lake Champlain and Church Street, and find it necessary to harangue me for making choices that you wouldn't.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    ooh I like the Bread and Puppet idea https://breadandpuppet.org/ Did you ever go to that back in the day, Dan? Fun for young and old- Vermonty as fuck for sure too
    never did it, though certainly was aware of it. That could be cool. Unfortunately, it seems like it's either that or the Shelburne Museum, as Sunday is the only option for both. Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I sense tension.

Perhaps a family massage and some gummies for everyone are in order before heading out.
    prolly
    guess danno and foggy are new to each other around here

I would buy a sprinter drive around vt like you own the place be all loud and obnoxious will ill behaved dogs wear as much pattagonia and gucci as you can and hopefully not get mugged by the meth heads that bunny thinks roam the state uncontrolled and eventually get asked to go back to ny

never did it, though certainly was aware of it. That could be cool. Unfortunately, it seems like it's either that or the Shelburne Museum, as Sunday is the only option for both. Hmmm....
    Data point for your consideration: Fiddlehead is open on Sundays and Hill Farmstead is not.

I have a related question that I thought I'd drop here instead of starting a new thread: My oldest just committed to play lacrosse at Middlebury. I've only been there once for about 4 hours earlier this summer when the coach toured the kid around campus. Mrs. Smoova wants to go back with the family (17 and 14 year old boys) so she can see where the kid will spend 4 years. We have an airbnb in town July 19-21. Since walking around campus again will only occupy a couple hours, I'm open to any suggestions on additional things to do and restaurants to visit. Thanks

Its not hard to understand, its just supprising. Don't worry, I find a lot of what people do surprising. For better or worse, I like different stuff. I hope you have a great time. I don't want my suggestions of some alternate pastimes take the fun out of your vacca.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    Since walking around campus again will only occupy a couple hours, I'm open to any suggestions on additional things to do and restaurants to visit. Thanks

Go check out your kids new ski area….

https://www.middleburysnowbowl.com/

I have a related question that I thought I'd drop here instead of starting a new thread: My oldest just committed to play lacrosse at Middlebury. I've only been there once for about 4 hours earlier this summer when the coach toured the kid around campus. Mrs. Smoova wants to go back with the family (17 and 14 year old boys) so she can see where the kid will spend 4 years. We have an airbnb in town July 19-21. Since walking around campus again will only occupy a couple hours, I'm open to any suggestions on additional things to do and restaurants to visit. Thanks
    Congratulations.

There's a soap museum there. I learned that after the colonists burned most of the forests by the mid 1800's, there was lots of ash, from which they made soap.

Based on my occasional visits to the ECRC forum, soup is a popular local food.

I'd say focus on soap and soup.

Middlebury is a pretty small town, but it does have an A&W Drive In that you should stop at for lunch. For dinner head north on Route 7 to the Starry Night Cafe in Ferrisburgh.

If you bring mountain bikes, try Chandler Ridge/Leicester Hollow Loop near Lake Dunmore. Battell Woods in town has limited trails but worth a spin.

Hiking out of Ripton is good including the Skylight Pond or The Cooley Glen/Emily Proctor Trail loop.

You are just a ride up and over Lincoln Gap (make sure your brakes are in fine working order) from Warren and the Mad River Valley so a trip to Lawsons Finest Liquids is fun.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure it's Vermonty as fuck.

Shelburne is closer of course. The Museum is interesting but very buttoned-up New England style as I recall; Bread and Puppet is hippy freaks doing giant puppet shows in a psychedelic, yet family friendly, way, with lots of interesting food booths etc. I remember in the mid-late 80s when I went they did some US imperialism in Latin America thing acted out with the giant puppets. So two different things for sure!